• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Comic Shop Owner's Wife
1 1

39 posts in this topic

Restricted as I am, I got thinking about my LCS as a kid, Joe's Books And Things in Northern Virginia. For some reason I began thinking of the owner's wife. She was really tall and skinny like Olive Oil (or whom ever from Popeye) and was seriously uptight. Manic almost in a way. Almost vibrating. She was never mean to me or anyone that I saw but Joe would often have to pull her aside to calm her down. I was too young to understand mental illness or what-the-heck she had going on. Don't remember her name. Poor Joe I'm told died of a heart attack. His last bookstore was in Burke, Virginia near Fair Oaks Mall (?) I assume she is alive. I don't believe there are any of his comic stores left in Northern Virginia (I try not to go back) so maybe someone who lives there can fill in the mystery.

So while we usually salute the LCS owner of our youths, let's give their wives their dues. Tell me about your LCS owner's wife.

No matter how much internet research I do, I find no evidence of my childhood LCS. It's like the episode of The Twilight Zone where the phone keeps ringing and they follow the phone line out to a blown down telephone line atop a grave.

Edited by NoMan

No wife, but my LCS owner is quite the lady's man.  He has had several hip gf's over the years.  He is the kind of guy everyone is always trying to get his attention or approval.  When I told him he was an alpha male he couldnt believe it.  He is tho.  People flock around him and he gives out his praise sparingly, altho people always hope for it.

4 hours ago, kav said:

No wife, but my LCS owner is quite the lady's man.  He has had several hip gf's over the years.  He is the kind of guy everyone is always trying to get his attention or approval.  When I told him he was an alpha male he couldnt believe it.  He is tho.  People flock around him and he gives out his praise sparingly, altho people always hope for it.

This is a comic store and owner you're talking about, right? Sounds more like Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple?. hm

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

This is a comic store and owner you're talking about, right? Sounds more like Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple?. hm

no no no he's just like that cool guy at the party is all.  He's not trying for attention or trying to get anyone to do anything!!! :pullhair:

1 minute ago, kav said:

no no no he's just like that cool guy at the party is all.  He's not trying for attention or trying to get anyone to do anything!!! :pullhair:

I'm a master of blending in at parties; a master of disguise. One night I outdid myself. I disguised myself as a barstool and hid in plain sight. The next day even the guests who sat on me couldn't remember seeing me.

6 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I'm a master of blending in at parties; a master of disguise. One night I outdid myself. I disguised myself as a barstool and hid in plain sight. The next day even the guests who sat on me couldn't remember seeing me.

someone tag @James J Johnson he hasn't posted in a while! 

:baiting:

:jokealert:

:download:

My old comic shop owner was an overweight, greasy, beastly type of man, who wore dirty clothes, worked at a gas station to make ends meet, and was never seen with a girl in the 20+ years he operated his business. But, he was not only the friendliest guy you`ll ever meet, but honest and very knowledgeable. Maybe his store was his lady. Maybe he didn`t have time for someone else in his life. He closed his store after some health issues around 3 years ago. Although he lives near me, I`ve never seen him out and about. It`s possible he did meet his dream girl and he`s making up for lost time now, who knows.

1 hour ago, kilowatt said:

My old comic shop owner was an overweight, greasy, beastly type of man, who wore dirty clothes, worked at a gas station to make ends meet, and was never seen with a girl in the 20+ years he operated his business. But, he was not only the friendliest guy you`ll ever meet, but honest and very knowledgeable. Maybe his store was his lady. Maybe he didn`t have time for someone else in his life. He closed his store after some health issues around 3 years ago. Although he lives near me, I`ve never seen him out and about. It`s possible he did meet his dream girl and he`s making up for lost time now, who knows.

Research him down.  Find out what happen to him. Say thanks.  Write a story for the local paper.  Tell us at least.  These stories are the interesting ones.  

When I was very young, there were no comic stores in my neighborhood, I'd buy books at the local "Candy" or "Newspaper" store. But when I was older and working and I got back into reading comics, the nearest store to my job was Fantasia in Hartsdale. 

I didn't go there very often, parking was horrendous and I only bought new issues, but the owner was a little weird...no wife that I ever saw.

I used to visit Sunshine Comics in Miami as a kid. The owener, Joel, didn't have a wife that I knew of, but his sister and mother worked there with him. His mother, who must have been in her mid-60s at the time, would sell me silver age Batmans and Detectives. I remember pulling some more recent Detectives that had cool covers and bringing them to her. She pulled out the price guide and priced them and they were MUCH more expensive than the late 10 cent and early 12 cent issues I was buying. I asked her why and she explained that those were the Marshall Rogers issues. Never heard of him until then, but I always think of Mrs. Fischer when I see those Joker Fish stories.