• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How online sales tax killed short term upgrading.

33 posts in this topic

The Op is right in saying the sales tax adds up. The exact math isn’t as important as realizing this makes a significant difference more many.

As annoying as this can be it is inevitable. Online interstate sales have had the tax free advantage since their inception, but it’s been at the cost of the local brick and mortar. Catalog sales going back 100yrs had this too, but the quantity didn’t reach levels high enough to bother.  I think it’s a good thing long term to have sales tax caught up with the times. It was a good run though. 

14 minutes ago, Joosh said:

The Op is right in saying the sales tax adds up. The exact math isn’t as important as realizing this makes a significant difference more many.

As annoying as this can be it is inevitable. Online interstate sales have had the tax free advantage since their inception, but it’s been at the cost of the local brick and mortar. Catalog sales going back 100yrs had this too, but the quantity didn’t reach levels high enough to bother.  I think it’s a good thing long term to have sales tax caught up with the times. It was a good run though. 

:(

How much is sold on E-Bay each year?  Possibly about 30 billion dollars (since e-bay reported $4 Billion in revenue)?  Not all sales are in the US but its safe to say billions will be flowing into state coffers that was not there before if all states start charging the tax.  Hopefully this will cut down on the amount of state and local taxes that I pay but my gut tells me there is always programs to spend other people's money on.

Edited by 1Cool

41 minutes ago, Joosh said:

Do you also see this leveling the playing field a bit for those whose cost's were always more, ie Canada Buyers or Europe etc.

Maybe the change won't be "as" drastic as some think, but idk (shrug) 

@ADAMANTIUM

The state taxes on US domestic sales theoretically will lower purchase prices overall, at least at first. I have a hunch it will have little change to low cost sales as most will disregard the $0.50 on their $5 purchase, but will be heavily factored into large purchases, $500+, as the taxes become a significant expense. We’ll see, I suppose.

Personally, I’ll factor in total cost involved in every purchase just as I do offline. But I seem to operate differently from the majority.

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

How much is sold on E-Bay each year?  Possibly about 30 billion dollars (since e-bay reported $4 Billion in revenue)?  Not all sales are in the US but its safe to say billions will be flowing into state coffers that was not there before if all states start charging the tax.  Hopefully this will cut down on the amount of state and local taxes that I pay but my gut tells me there is always programs to spend other people's money on.

any government can never not collect enough taxes. Hey we have extra money wooo lets buy *totally useless thing* or spend on program X... 

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Do you also see this leveling the playing field a bit for those whose cost's were always more, ie Canada Buyers or Europe etc.

Maybe the change won't be "as" drastic as some think, but idk (shrug) 

wooo maybe values on books will come down and I can compete with the US buyers :foryou: