• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is this cbcs slab of 2001 #8 labeled newstand edition prior to direct market?
2 2

37 posts in this topic

I was just browsing the auction list at MyComicShop and seen this 2001 #8 graded by CBCS and I noticed that it was labeled "NEWSTAND EDITION" as if there was any other version of book. This book came out in 1977, direct market started in June 1979. Is there any reason or explaination as to why this would be labeled as such. It almost feels like false marketing.

Screenshot_20190817-205453.png

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

The Direct market started about 1974.

The publishers realized they needed a way to distinguish non-returnable Direct market books from returnable newsstands.

Marvel's solution was the "fat diamond" price boxes,which began in November/December, 1976:

s-l500.jpg

This IS NOT a "Whitman variant", as some claim. It is a Direct market version. Yes, Whitman was a big early adopter of Direct market distribution, but it was not the only one. 

Marvel toyed around with the idea for 2 years, then finally went company wide in March of 1979, with their June 79 cover dated books.

Gold Key's solution was to have their books carry the Whitman cover dress:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

DC's solution came in 1978, with their expressly Whitman books....BUT...there is some doubt whether or not these were ALSO distributed to the couple of hundred comic stores in existence at that point around the US.

s-l1600.jpg

It's interesting to note that DC did not institute a cover-wide Direct market cover dress program until October of 1980....nearly a year and a half after Marvel.

So....yes, it makes sense that CBCS would mark even late 70s books as "newsstand" since there were, by that time, Direct market versions that existed.

What does NOT make sense is that they decided to stop doing that at the very odd cutoff date of 2000. Makes no sense. Marvel's newsstand copies continued until 2013, DC's until 2017, and I imagine Archie's does still.

i thought about tagging you and thanks for this :) 

much more knowledge than I ever would know a way of finding out ;) 

17 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

What does NOT make sense is that they decided to stop doing that at the very odd cutoff date of 2000.

That's for sure, but it still doesn't make sense to mark an book as "Newsstand Edition" when there wasn't a different version of that issue made for the Direct market.

16 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

That's for sure, but it still doesn't make sense to mark an book as "Newsstand Edition" when there wasn't a different version of that issue made for the Direct market.

Agreed. I looked at about 30 of these #8’s on eBay; all are newsstand. CBCS is technically correct in stating Newsstand Edition, but it’s superfluous information in this case (slab pun) unless someone provides a direct market edition. 

The CBCS newsstand designation cutoff of 2000+ is asinine. The most HTF high grade newsstand books are post-2000 and are some of my prized collection. 

I really want CBCS to succeed to give proper competition to CGC. All of us consumers benefit from that. They have a lot of catching up to do but at least they’re trying.

5 minutes ago, Joosh said:

Agreed. I looked at about 30 of these #8’s on eBay; all are newsstand. CBCS is technically correct in stating Newsstand Edition, but it’s superfluous information in this case (slab pun) unless someone provides a direct market edition. 

The CBCS newsstand designation cutoff of 2000+ is asinine. The most HTF high grade newsstand books are post-2000 and are some of my prized collection. 

I really want CBCS to succeed to give proper competition to CGC. All of us consumers benefit from that. They have a lot of catching up to do but at least they’re trying.

Some folks just can't resist showing off...

On 8/17/2019 at 9:03 PM, wolverine180 said:

I was just browsing the auction list at MyComicShop and seen this 2001 #8 graded by CBCS and I noticed that it was labeled "NEWSTAND EDITION" as if there was any other version of book. This book came out in 1977, direct market started in June 1979. Is there any reason or explaination as to why this would be labeled as such. It almost feels like false marketing.

Screenshot_20190817-205453.png

Because outside of Steve Borock, no one at that company knows what they're doing in the comic book realm and they don't have any understanding of comic books. Don't overthink it.

15 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Because outside of Steve Borock, no one at that company knows what they're doing in the comic book realm and they don't have any understanding of comic books. Don't overthink it.

They are doing a nice job on the foreign editions , but i guess you dont care that because its only for a small cultured niche.

Edited by Mijael.Levy

9 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

West and Ricketts are still there.  That makes 3... lol

On 8/17/2019 at 9:49 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

The Direct market started about 1974.

The publishers realized they needed a way to distinguish non-returnable Direct market books from returnable newsstands.

Marvel's solution was the "fat diamond" price boxes,which began in November/December, 1976:

s-l500.jpg

This IS NOT a "Whitman variant", as some claim. It is a Direct market version. Yes, Whitman was a big early adopter of Direct market distribution, but it was not the only one. 

Marvel toyed around with the idea for 2 years, then finally went company wide in March of 1979, with their June 79 cover dated books.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

DC's solution came in 1978, with their expressly Whitman books....BUT...there is some doubt whether or not these were ALSO distributed to the couple of hundred comic stores in existence at that point around the US.

s-l1600.jpg

It's interesting to note that DC did not institute a cover-wide Direct market cover dress program until October of 1980....nearly a year and a half after Marvel.

So....yes, it makes sense that CBCS would mark even late 70s books as "newsstand" since there were, by that time, Direct market versions that existed.

What does NOT make sense is that they decided to stop doing that at the very odd cutoff date of 2000. Makes no sense. Marvel's newsstand copies continued until 2013, DC's until 2017, and I imagine Archie's does still.

Most informative! Thank you! 

On 8/18/2019 at 1:46 PM, Lazyboy said:

Agreed, but that would require thinking, and you know how CBCS is about that...better to just do an "across the board" label....soooooo much easier.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:49 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Let's make this accurate and say "Western Publishing", rather than "Gold Key." Gold Key was their newsstand imprint.