• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee's First Cameo Cover Comic $

18 posts in this topic

Hi, I saw a 1950 Black Rider #8  (#1) comic on ebay and I was wondering how much it might be worth? Do you think it might be a good investment?

The comic is the highest graded CGC issue, an 8.0 and it has a beautiful Stan Lee autograph on it.

There are only 29 total graded by CGC, which seems very very low. There is one issue graded higher in the CGC Census but it has been restored and I am not interested in any restored comics.

The comic is on auction and is up to $2000 so far. 

I was thinking that I would place a bid on it, but I wanted to know what the CGC experts on the chat board think before I do.

Does anyone know how much this might be worth? or if it might be a good investment? The Auction ends next Saturday, the 24th of August.

Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

The seller of this book has had it listed BIN with best offer for a long time - and at widely varying prices. It spent a long time at - if Memory serves me correctly - about $40,000. Then over a period of time it dropped down as low as $5,000. I thought about buying it at that price even though I have a 6.5 graded by Voldy. It's spent it's last few months at $8.000. Be interesting to see where this lands price wise. 

5 hours ago, Jeffro™ said:

It's the highest graded copy and has Stan's sig. It's unique. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I know that doesn't help much but it's true nonetheless.

Thanks, I think you are right, now I have to think about how much I am willing to pay for it. 

2 hours ago, Tony S said:

The seller of this book has had it listed BIN with best offer for a long time - and at widely varying prices. It spent a long time at - if Memory serves me correctly - about $40,000. Then over a period of time it dropped down as low as $5,000. I thought about buying it at that price even though I have a 6.5 graded by Voldy. It's spent it's last few months at $8.000. Be interesting to see where this lands price wise. 

Wow, I guess you are right, I don't think the seller even knows what it is worth, it is a one of a kind and a very unique item, but who can tell what it might be worth? 

Thanks for the info. 

5 hours ago, Jeffro™ said:

It's the highest graded copy and has Stan's sig. It's unique. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I know that doesn't help much but it's true nonetheless.

My pockets go deep, but I don't think I could spend as much a serious collectors who probably have a lot more money than I. Thanks!

32 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

One thing to keep in mind.  It's mistakenly categorized in Ebay under Modern > Superhero > Spiderman so there will be less eyeballs on it than should be.  If you were ever inclined to go for it, this would seem to be the time.

I didn't even notice that, thank you! You are probably right about this being the time. 

1 hour ago, telerites said:

I like this book times three (so far)...

1303141848361.jpg

2006161312461.jpg

1301171329141.jpg

Wow! You have 3 of the total 29 graded by CGC. The more I look at this book the more I like it. I may have to go deep on this one. Thanks!

18 minutes ago, jmulli said:

Wow! You have 3 of the total 29 graded by CGC. The more I look at this book the more I like it. I may have to go deep on this one. Thanks!

Good luck - it is a cool book.  I think I saw one of the SS books where Stan had written something like, Yep, that's me under the mask.  I wish I would have thought about asking him to do something like that when I got mine signed.  

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Good luck - it is a cool book.  I think I saw one of the SS books where Stan had written something like, Yep, that's me under the mask.  I wish I would have thought about asking him to do something like that when I got mine signed.  

I found the one you are talking about, I have been doing a lot of research on this book over the past few days. Great comment! I am beginning to just love this book. 

Black Rider 4.5.jpg

On 8/17/2019 at 8:00 PM, jmulli said:

Hi, I saw a 1950 Black Rider #8  (#1) comic on ebay and I was wondering how much it might be worth? Do you think it might be a good investment?

The comic is the highest graded CGC issue, an 8.0 and it has a beautiful Stan Lee autograph on it.

There are only 29 total graded by CGC, which seems very very low. There is one issue graded higher in the CGC Census but it has been restored and I am not interested in any restored comics.

The comic is on auction and is up to $2000 so far. 

I was thinking that I would place a bid on it, but I wanted to know what the CGC experts on the chat board think before I do.

Does anyone know how much this might be worth? or if it might be a good investment? The Auction ends next Saturday, the 24th of August.

Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

well?  congrats to the new owner?  and now we know how much it's worth - exactly $2,851.51.