• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What A Cool Find For Marvel Comics And Star Wars Collectors 1977 Press Kit

4 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

I was so lucky to be in the right place at the right time to buy this. It's a Star Wars press kit for the comic adaptation. The press kit was mailed a day before the movie's premiere, back in 1977. I thought I was missing the brochure (mentioned in the letter) but a Hollywood writer was able to get Charles Lippincott to authenticate it and provide clarification. Apparently, I am not missing the brochure as the three comics are it. Only one other Star Wars collector has seen it and no Star Wars or Marvel Comics website has one. I only wish that they had sent the rare, 35 Cent editions in the package (LOL). Has anyone else seen or own one?

SWPressKitW2.jpg

The logo in the letter would be an interesting one to use for a Star Wars mini or variant editions. The final design is now so iconic, it's interesting to see some unused designs

15 hours ago, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

I was so lucky to be in the right place at the right time to buy this. It's a Star Wars press kit for the comic adaptation. The press kit was mailed a day before the movie's premiere, back in 1977. I thought I was missing the brochure (mentioned in the letter) but a Hollywood writer was able to get Charles Lippincott to authenticate it and provide clarification. Apparently, I am not missing the brochure as the three comics are it. Only one other Star Wars collector has seen it and no Star Wars or Marvel Comics website has one. I only wish that they had sent the rare, 35 Cent editions in the package (LOL). Has anyone else seen or own one?

SWPressKitW2.jpg

VERY Cool! I love the follow up research too (thumbsu

On 8/17/2019 at 11:00 PM, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

SWPressKitW2.jpg

Charles Lippincott says "Probably Kelly" (indicating he isn't sure). I don't know if he didn't see it, but "CL:ktf" code means the person who signed (for) "Charles Lippincott" also specified that they have the initials K.T.F.

I had been making the case that Star Wars #1 and #2 were definitely released prior to the movie, so the "first appearance" of icons like Han Solo, Chewbacca, Millenium Falcon occurring in Star Wars #2 literally pre-date the movie (and the toys came much later).  This letter shows how Star Wars #3 was also available prior to the movie's release. (thumbsu