• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has this JIM #83 been trimmed? need grading help too

32 posts in this topic

I'm considering purchasing this book. The edges concern me.  Are they trimmed?  I haven't had the book in hand yet and have requested more and better pics.  I'll post them when I get them.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advance!!!

IMG_8718.thumb.JPG.da9e59730074978671440473761383e2.JPGIMG_8719.thumb.JPG.6016fe98f2e480322fd1dc523efc1a1b.JPG

Edited by capt hook

Good advice from all.  :foryou:

This purchase involves a considerable amount of risk on your part. I would be very leery of buying a book this valuable that hasn't been certified. In this day and age, anyone selling a comic of this magnitude really should have it certified first in order to eliminate any doubt concerning the condition and authenticity of the book. I don't mind taking a chance now and then, but this one has the potential to be a monumental disappointment...  

29 minutes ago, capt hook said:

If it is trimmed, what percentage of the value should be subtracted? Looks to me like a 6.5 or a bit better.

That's not an easy question to answer. If trimmed, it depends on where and how many locations. A book with three ends trimmed would really kill the grade/price. 

54 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That's not an easy question to answer. If trimmed, it depends on where and how many locations. A book with three ends trimmed would really kill the grade/price. 

Thanks Bob.  I was afraid of that.

4 hours ago, capt hook said:

Thanks Bob.  I was afraid of that.

Of this is going to be the best he can do, with a camera, tell the seller that you need two scans, front and back. Large, hi res. Pics of this muted color, contrast, size and at odd angles don't offer much for edge examination. There's just no contrast, let alone rez., but the color too just blends in, the book , the edges, the background. We need something that offers a good look at the contrast between the edges and the background. Full front cover and back cover images. Straight on, will do the trick and allow us to offer our best analysis. The pics here are useless for determining trim.

I've seen many JIM 83s that looked like that on the right edge.  I always think trimmed, but many times it's not. Go look thru the Heritage archive, there should be enough JIM83s there to give you a good idea.  Also ask for a "down shot photo" of the free edge.... if it's flat, it's probably trimmed.

Edited by gadzukes

Reviving this topic.  Seller is in need of moving this and sent me better pics.  Any new thoughts as to trim on the edge, restoration or grade is appreciated.

jim 83 FC side.jpg

jim 83 FC side spine.jpg

jim 83 fc bottom.jpg

jim 83 fc top.jpg

jim 83 inside bc.jpg

jim 83 inside fc.jpg

jim bc side.jpg

jim 83 centerfold.jpg

Edited by capt hook

On 8/19/2019 at 8:57 PM, gadzukes said:

I've seen many JIM 83s that looked like that on the right edge.  I always think trimmed, but many times it's not. Go look thru the Heritage archive, there should be enough JIM83s there to give you a good idea.  Also ask for a "down shot photo" of the free edge.... if it's flat, it's probably trimmed.

I'll start by saying, I'm not one of those board members who can spot restoration and trimming through pictures, unless someone accidental left the scissors in the cover. 

I will say I looked at a JIM83 where the right edge looked like it was missing material. The MC and # box were cut off in a very similar fashion. I consulted a pro restorer (Trace Heft) and he said that was pretty typical of JIM83.  

It looks like a beautiful copy, but his camera kind of sucks and the lighting isn't great... It's a lot of cash to risk sight unseen, would he let you return it pending a CCS review? 

6 hours ago, capt hook said:

Reviving this topic.  Seller is in need of moving this and sent me better pics.  Any new thoughts as to trim on the edge, restoration or grade is appreciated.

The photo you need is a down shot from the top of the free edge.  If all the interior pages are flat on the free edge then it's been trimmed.  It the interior pages look like an arrow (when looking straight down the free edge) or come to a point, then it's probably not been trimmed.  I hope you understand what I'm talking about.

My gut tells me it is not trimmed.

Edited by gadzukes

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

The photo you need is a down shot from the top of the free edge.  If all the interior pages are flat on the free edge then it's been trimmed.  It the interior pages look like an arrow (when looking straight down the free edge) or come to a point, then it's probably not been trimmed.  I hope you understand what I'm talking about.

My gut tells me it is not trimmed.

Correct. The money shot is missing! How odd that the shot needed to best identify a tell for trim is missing? Purposely? What's needed is a straight on shot of the whole front cover, a scan would be best, or/and the same for the entire right edge. A full view, straight on, is the only shot that will clearly make that right edge distinguishable for a trim tell. .

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Correct. The money shot is missing! How odd that the shot needed to best identify a tell for trim is missing? Purposely? What's needed is a straight on shot of the whole front cover, a scan would be best, or/and the same for the entire right edge. A full view, straight on, is the only shot that will clearly make that right edge distinguishable for a trim tell. .

The straight on front shot is important, but the "from the top straight down the free edge" is what I'd want to see to make sure there is an "arrow" with how the interior pages lay.

17 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I'll start by saying, I'm not one of those board members who can spot restoration and trimming through pictures, unless someone accidental left the scissors in the cover. 

I will say I looked at a JIM83 where the right edge looked like it was missing material. The MC and # box were cut off in a very similar fashion. I consulted a pro restorer (Trace Heft) and he said that was pretty typical of JIM83.  

It looks like a beautiful copy, but his camera kind of sucks and the lighting isn't great... It's a lot of cash to risk sight unseen, would he let you return it pending a CCS review? 

I've bought from him before.  The books that were in his dad's original collection have been legit.  He tells me this is one of them.  No return on this big boy though.  Thanks for your insight.