• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has this JIM #83 been trimmed? need grading help too

32 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Correct. The money shot is missing! How odd that the shot needed to best identify a tell for trim is missing? Purposely? What's needed is a straight on shot of the whole front cover, a scan would be best, or/and the same for the entire right edge. A full view, straight on, is the only shot that will clearly make that right edge distinguishable for a trim tell. .

I'll request the other angles and post later today.  I instructed him on the included photos angles.  Thanks for your input!

13 hours ago, gadzukes said:

The photo you need is a down shot from the top of the free edge.  If all the interior pages are flat on the free edge then it's been trimmed.  It the interior pages look like an arrow (when looking straight down the free edge) or come to a point, then it's probably not been trimmed.  I hope you understand what I'm talking about.

My gut tells me it is not trimmed.

I'll request that photo today and revise my post.  Thanks for your advice.  I too think it's uncut, but with a big book like this, I'm trying to do my homework within the parameters afforded me.  

1 hour ago, capt hook said:

I'll request that photo today and revise my post.  Thanks for your advice.  I too think it's uncut, but with a big book like this, I'm trying to do my homework within the parameters afforded me.  

Good Luck.  I hope it works out for you.  That's a sweet looking JIM83.  What grade did the seller give it?

31 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Good Luck.  I hope it works out for you.  That's a sweet looking JIM83.  What grade did the seller give it?

He hasn't.  I'm thinking 6.5, maybe better.  I've had it in my hands, but that was a decade ago.    

3 hours ago, capt hook said:

Looks like I've been ghosted after making my request for further pics.  If and when they ever get sent, I'll post them...

Sorry to hear this man.  Maybe it was for the best.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 7:58 PM, gadzukes said:

The straight on front shot is important, but the "from the top straight down the free edge" is what I'd want to see to make sure there is an "arrow" with how the interior pages lay.

No remarkable tell is present for the top edge. The edge in question on this book is the right edge.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 11:09 AM, SSkufan said:

Sorry to hear this man.  Maybe it was for the best.

Judging by what I can see of the right edge, although not 100% conclusive, I can't rule out that right edge being trimmed because there's a strong likelihood that it is, from what I can make out. My feeling was that no response to your request for better photos of the right edge that are more advantageous for trim tells would be forthcoming, and the fact that was true is a bad signal. IMO, you dodged a bullet.

Edited by James J Johnson

10 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Judging by what I can see of the right edge, although not 100% conclusive, I can't rule out that right edge being trimmed because there's a strong likelihood that it is, from what I can make out. My feeling was that no response to your request for better photos of the right edge that are more advantageous for trim tells would be forthcoming, and the fact that was true is a bad signal. IMO, you dodged a bullet.

Even though no one is correct 100% of the time, having a book this valuable examined by a professional grading company is a wise first line of defense...  

On 4/25/2020 at 9:40 AM, capt hook said:

I've bought from him before.  The books that were in his dad's original collection have been legit.  He tells me this is one of them.  No return on this big boy though.  Thanks for your insight.

If you are buying this on eBay and paying with PayPal you can always return.  It doesn't matter what the seller says.

On 5/8/2020 at 12:34 PM, goodrockrich said:

If you are buying this on eBay and paying with PayPal you can always return.  It doesn't matter what the seller says.

Great point. I've taken all kinds of crazy risks on ebay over the last 10 years and I've never lost a single cent. Ebay buyer protection is pretty safe, I'm sure someone would chime in with a time they got burnt because nothing is 100%, but I've always had good results.