• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Re-Slab?
2 2

35 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Geez,  and I thought I was OCD . That piece is not gonna hurt the comic book,  so why bother.2c

Lol finally the "Shut up Nancy your book is fine answer" ...which is the answer I was looking for, as this is where I was leaning but the trolls in my mind kept pointing at the little piece of plastic and laughing.

I kept telling the trolls to shut up  but I needed the internets help.

14 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Lol finally the "Shut up Nancy your book is fine answer" ...which is the answer I was looking for, as this is where I was leaning but the trolls in my mind kept pointing at the little piece of plastic and laughing.

I kept telling the trolls to shut up  but I needed the internets help.

what if the comic gets shaken suddenly or dropped would that piece move and the OP talked about it looking sharp could it ever possibly damage the comic if not then I would leave it as is but if it could or I was reselling I would resub as to avoid potential accidental damage from a shift or a seller seeing that and wanting a refund or passing that stress onto the other person... 

decisions still yours. 

19 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Here it is 8.0 Swamp Thing #1 beautiful book couldn't be happier with it.

IMG_20190818_160204531.thumb.jpg.39032338063b20052805ce32e16246c7.jpg

Except for this: 

IMG_20190816_085353446.thumb.jpg.8409fdc9f89ccba7df59baa57508ec27.jpgIMG_20190816_085403446.thumb.jpg.b52b9482095e5aae496efb06ab68a54a.jpgIMG_20190816_085417079.thumb.jpg.314d90f5d4a2bb71ef59c2515d94f3e4.jpg

There is a sharp piece of plastic debris under the encapsulation. It doesn't move making me think it isn't a going to damage the book but it is driving my comic book based OCD up the wall.

If this were your book would you get it re-slabbed?

also question did you put a film on the front of your slab as I see bubbles like a poorly applied screen protector on a phone? 

31 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

also question did you put a film on the front of your slab as I see bubbles like a poorly applied screen protector on a phone? 

Yeah there is a UV protector on the slab very easily put on and taken  off without leaving any residue . ... The downside is that the bubbles can be a real B--- to get out unless perfectly trimmed and applied.

2 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Did not know that would be possible....

It's an older case, so the sides aren't sealed.

There are two possible problems:

1) if you aren't careful, you can crack the case.

2) the paper tearing off inside the case.

So, if it bothers you that much, give it a try. Worst case, you send it to CGC for a reholder. 

Personally, I would just not look at the back cover.

19 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Irrational fear of losing items in the mail along with not wanting to wait months to get it back are keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Re-Slab

.....last time I got books re-holdered, they came back in a fortnight and that was to the UK. 

2 hours ago, catman76 said:

Take the comic out and read it. Problem solved.

Yayyy new divisive topic to burn the forums to the ground. 

giphy.gif.1179e8e470e9d9e55880ec1ba623251a.gif

For a comic book forum housed by the company that slabs books, there seems to be a pretty large crowd that has a disdain for graded books.

Not saying this your stance Catman I'm just getting the fire started.:ohnoez:

I have been an avid reader of comic books since the time I was able to read. I have 2000 comics about 20 of which are slabbed (1%)

I would dare to venture that the vast majority of people who enjoy owning slabbed books also enjoy reading comics hence the fixation. 

I have have enjoyed most of my favorite story arcs in trade paperback form and own the keys within those runs in single issue form example Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

I love owning a piece of comic book history and have the collecting "sickness" like many here do. This sickness pushes me to own more NM goodness and then treat it like a dragon does his gold. This hobby lends itself to many different styles of collecting, different people enjoy doing it in different ways.

I got a book back recently with glue all over the place between layers. Got a free re-holder and after 2 months it came back with a curly shard of plastic on the front. Just sent it back for another free re-holder. My OCD can not handle that and it should have been caught by QC as it was huge and in the front and I dont want it pressing into the book. I never had a problem with a book before (besides the oil slicks that aren't worth doing anything about), but twice with this one.

If it bothers you at all, send it back....their mistake that should have been caught.

If it is a sharp or solid item, definatly send it back so it doesn't ruin your book!