• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultron 1

43 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, according to Overstreet you would be correct in saying that Avengers #54 has the first appearance of Ultron since he appears in 1 panel only.  (thumbsu

Overstreet clearly states that Avengers 55 is the first full appearance of Ultron.  :gossip:

Clearly remember this as there was a ton of hype and speculation on this particular issue here several years ago, before it came crashing back down to Earth.  :tonofbricks:

Hey whats the first appearance of darkseid, Overstreet?

29 minutes ago, kav said:
10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, according to Overstreet you would be correct in saying that Avengers #54 has the first appearance of Ultron since he appears in 1 panel only.  (thumbsu

Overstreet clearly states that Avengers 55 is the first full appearance of Ultron.  :gossip:

Clearly remember this as there was a ton of hype and speculation on this particular issue here several years ago, before it came crashing back down to Earth.  :tonofbricks:

Hey whats the first appearance of darkseid, Overstreet?

Well, unlike Ultron and Wolverine's first appearances which were limited to only 1 panel in Avengers 54 and Hulk 180 respectively, and didn't command much valuation wise, it seems that Darkseid's initial 1 panel appearance in Jimmy Olsen 134 is all the rage.  O.o

Everybody seems to pay up for the full appearances in Avengers 55 and especially in the case of Hulk 181, but for some reason, not so much for Darkseid's much more prominent appearance in Jimmy Olsen 135.  Go figure that.  (shrug)

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, unlike Ultron and Wolverine's first appearances which were limited to only 1 panel in Avengers 54 and Hulk 180 respectively, and didn't command much valuation wise, it seems that Darkseid's initial 1 panel appearance in Jimmy Olsen 134 is all the rage.  O.o

Everybody seems to pay up for the full appearances in Avengers 55 and especially in the case of Hulk 181, but for some reason, not so much for Darkseid's much more prominent appearance in Jimmy Olsen 135.  Go figure that.  (shrug)

Check for forever people 1 :shy: that is darkseid's 1st full.... appearance

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Check for forever people 1 :shy: that is darkseid's 1st full.... appearance

some would say he still hasn't fully appeared yet-

24 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Darkseid's much more prominent appearance in Jimmy Olsen 135

I know they say that "two heads are better than one" :wink:, but what's "much more prominent" about this appearance?

spjo135-14.thumb.jpg.87bc3e39c2e68851bd0536603c99c577.jpg

6 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
35 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Darkseid's much more prominent appearance in Jimmy Olsen 135

I know they say that "two heads are better than one" :wink:, but what's "much more prominent" about this appearance?

Well, it's classified as a 1-page cameo by Overstreet, which I imagine is probably a little bit more prominent than only a 1-panel appearance which is the case with the apprently much more highly sought after and highly valued Jimmy Olsen 134.  (shrug)

7 minutes ago, kav said:

some would say he still hasn't fully appeared yet-

:juggle: Yet there is some merit to looking down that path...

Darkseid is not known for having his physical presence dominate a story. He normally stays behind the scenes unless/until he needs to do something himself. His average appearance probably consists of only a few pages.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

:juggle: Yet there is some merit to looking down that path...

Darkseid is not known for having his physical presence dominate a story. He normally stays behind the scenes unless/until he needs to do something himself. His average appearance probably consists of only a few pages.

Some day he will appear and then

:flipbait:

Another Ultron Question...

As a kid in the late sixties and seventies my older brother was the reader of The Avengers and used to talk about Ultron but I didn't know the specific details.  These days  I know much more about Ultron.  Historically speaking I always thought Terminator was a very original and clever plot\concept.  But, given what I now know about Ultron, Terminator doesn't seem so original and clever.  Am missing something that sets the two apart?

Edited by JohnFranklin

2 hours ago, JohnFranklin said:

Another Ultron Question...

As a kid in the late sixties and seventies my older brother was the reader of The Avengers and used to talk about Ultron but I didn't know the specific details.  These days  I know much more about Ultron.  Historically speaking I always thought Terminator was a very original and clever plot\concept.  But, given what I now know about Ultron, Terminator doesn't seem so original and clever.  Am missing something that sets the two apart?

The concept of AI/robots run amuck pretty much predates both Terminator and Ultron, so nothing too original in either there. Terminator was also a time travel driven story; Ultron was not.  What sets apart Terminator and Ultron to me (from a personality viewpoint), is that, Ultron always had this oedipal father/son complex that drove him mad.  Terminator didn't really have such human qualities.  As an aside, Ultron was pretty scary to me as a kid.

Edited by bronze_rules

3 hours ago, JohnFranklin said:

.  But, given what I now know about Ultron, Terminator doesn't seem so original and clever.  Am missing something that sets the two apart?

Other than being AI, quite different, really.

Harlan Ellison

Time Travel

His Outer Limits plots for ‘Soldier’ and ‘Demon With a Glass Hand’, elements of which were copied by The Terminator.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Other than being AI, quite different, really.

Harlan Ellison

Time Travel

His Outer Limits plots for ‘Soldier’ and ‘Demon With a Glass Hand’, elements of which were copied by The Terminator.

I've read pretty much everything about the Terminator and James Cameron including his biography-the Terminator had no connection to Ellison's story, Cameron was sick and had a fevered nightmare about a Terminator-he woke up and started writing.  Ellison was relentless in his threat of a lawsuit so Cameron decided to pay him a sum and give him partial credit.  Neither time travel nor killer robots were initiated by Ellison.  I believe Sabergagen's Berserkers predated Ellison's stories and were much more similar to Terminators than any of Ellison's creations.

Edited by kav

32 minutes ago, kav said:

I've read pretty much everything about the Terminator and James Cameron including his biography-the Terminator had no connection to Ellison's story, Cameron was sick and had a fevered nightmare about a Terminator-he woke up and started writing.  Ellison was relentless in his threat of a lawsuit so Cameron decided to pay him a sum and give him partial credit.  Neither time travel nor killer robots were initiated by Ellison.  I believe Sabergagen's Berserkers predated Ellison's stories and were much more similar to Terminators than any of Ellison's creations.

I stand corrected. :smile:

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

I stand corrected. :smile:

The weird part is, one night many years ago I had a vivid dream about a computer that was becoming aware.  This led me to read any fiction I could find on the subject which then led me to read everything I could about Terminators and James Cameron.  

5 hours ago, kav said:

Cameron was sick and had a fevered nightmare about a Terminator-he woke up and started writing

This does raise the question of whether subconscious plagiarism occurred; waking up, feeling inspired and that something original is being created when it’s actually based on a buried memory, in this case, of an existing plot.

Edited by Ken Aldred