• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STOLEN CGC BATMAN COLLECTION UPDATE
2 2

136 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I have used a storage unit which was in a high ceiling warehouse, partioned by plywood walls, with chicken wire roofs.  No Tom Cruise rig required.  All someone would need to do is rent a unit, fill it with empty trunks or boxes,  then cut the wire ceiling, crawl over the wall to another unit, empty the contents of its boxes, put the contents in the aforesaid empty trunks, and wheel them out to your car.  No one notices the theft until the unit is entered and the boxes checked.

I was going to say this. 

But the defense has a case, and I would say the insurance claims investigator likely has an even stronger one.

One word: BANK SAFE DEPOSIT BOX

what is wrong with you people? I have four safe deposit boxes at different banks and I rotate the comics into different Safe Deposit Boxes in case I’m being followed by comic thieves. Many people have eyes on my DareDevil 191. 

Who would put valuable comics in a public storage locker that’s built and designed for stuffed deer heads, old mountain bikes, Time-Life Barack Obama commemorative magazines and  Harriet Tubman, Betsy Ross and other members of the prominent women in U.S. History 36 -coin subscription program?

Edited by NoMan

So, I found a picture on a website that shows what the "climate controlled indoor unit" looks like.  SF was absolutely right, it's a chicken wire ceiling.  I can't believe that someone would store $1.4 million dollars worth of books in something like that (no true ceiling, standard sprinklers which would DUMP water in there and destroy the collection, etc.)

6338855525c9910c5d.jpg

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

So, I found a picture on a website that shows what the "climate controlled indoor unit" looks like.  SF was absolutely right, it's a chicken wire ceiling.  I can't believe that someone would store $1.4 million dollars worth of books in something like that (no true ceiling, standard sprinklers which would DUMP water in there and destroy the collection, etc.)

6338855525c9910c5d.jpg

Maybe it’s one of those things where hiding it somewhere you least suspect someone would put $1.4m. Like honestly that’s one awful protection area 

That whole place looks pretty fragile and vulnerable. I certainly wouldn't store anything in there that I was emotionally attached to, or financially invested in.....

apart from the wife. 

Edited by G G ®

2 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

6338855525c9910c5d.jpg

:facepalm:

44 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
2 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

6338855525c9910c5d.jpg

:facepalm:

This. It's like the OP was begging for it.

17 hours ago, Rezin1234 said:

Maybe it’s one of those things where hiding it somewhere you least suspect someone would put $1.4m. Like honestly that’s one awful protection area 

I wondered this myself.  Even if this was the case (the "reverse-psychology" thing), I would assume one would wrap those boxes in water-proof material at the very least (maybe a couple big garbage bags all the way around each box).  I personally would rather pile two CGC boxes and cover with a velvet throw and, voila, instead bedroom side tables! 

only 4 of the books have been located? When does alleged Comic Book Thief face off in court WITH ALL CAPS GUY? I wanna see a Law & Order "ripped from the headlines" about this one.

Edited by NoMan

20 minutes ago, NoMan said:

only 4 of the books have been located? When does alleged Comic Book Thief face off in court WITH ALL CAPS GUY? I wanna see a Law & Order "ripped from the headlines" about this one.

One of those episodes where youre rooting against both sides.