• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Romita sr sketch, original or a fake?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

Hi all......

just got emailed about this thread.....

yes...sadly...as many others have stated.....the first piece is a clear tracing. Webs on Spider-Man’s head are just off and not the smooth webbing John is known for.

This art image was actually published twice.....first as the HEADER CARD FOR the NEWSPAPER VENDING MACHINES PROMOTING THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN STRIP in the newspapers in December 1976. But this person probably copied the image from the back cover to a mid 1970s marvel treasury which is this exact same image.

if you look closely at the signature...he tried to fit the “M” into  the last name as it’s sorta squeezed in there on the signature.

I believe the published image is on my website still in my spiderman gallery but a good friend on list here now is the proud owner of the header card art and he can share it as well if he wants.

I do know that heritage had ANOTHER ALMOST IDENTICAL pen and ink black and white image they sold a few years back...to my piece but without all the webs that are shown in the header card surrounding spiderman on my piece I owned....so I knew mine was the definite one used for the spiderman strip header card. 

Now this older hand colored piece is from the 1960s and John Romita has confirmed in the past he drew it and one other similar image of spiderman in a leaping pose also drawn and hand colored by John Romita in the 1960s.

Mike

On 8/20/2019 at 7:29 AM, NicoV said:

This one looks better! I guess it comes from this auction: https://bid.woodshedartauctions.com/lots/view/1-R76XS/john-romita-sr-spiderman
Origin would be "Private collection, Hungary".

But on the same auction they also had a "great" Calvin&Hobbes watercolor that did not sell :bigsmile:
https://bid.woodshedartauctions.com/lots/view/1-R76UI/bill-watterson-calvin-and-hobbes

Original
Attributed
Watercolour on paper
Image size 8.3 x 11.7" 21 x 29.8 cm
Framed size 14.9 x 18.5" 37.8 x 47 cm
Signed by Artist
Provenance details available

"Attributed" is never a good thing.