• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skybolt's Slabbed Good Girl Art Collection

1,029 posts in this topic

Plenty more Jumbo/Jungle Comics coming in a week or two, as I mentioned before.

Well, I'm dwindling down to the last 20 or 25 miscellaneous titles. Some of these books may not be classified as good girl art, but if it was created in the 40's and 50's, there's a "girl" on the cover, and she looks "good", then I'm posting it. thumbsup2.gif

You should post just 2 or 3 a day so we can keep the thread going for a few more weeks. Awesome collection! thumbsup2.gif

I guess I wanted to get all the books out of the way before it turned into another pressing or graemlin war thread. smile.gif

Seriously though, I've been contemplating putting this thread together since November. However, everytime I wanted to start, I would get additional books or be expecting some back from CGC.

Your Wings 90 and 91 are sweet... I only wish mine looked that good.

In both cases, I had to pay way over guide to get them (the O.S. guide definitely has to be adjusted for some classic GA covers).

Wings #90 was purchased from Basement Comics, and has a slight roll to the right edge of the book (not the spine).

Wings #91 was purchased from Metro. The front cover is nice, but the back cover has some slight abrasion and a small piece missing from the the bottom right corner. Otherwise, it would've easily been an 8.0/8.5 candidate.

Which other Wings covers do you like? As I mentioned before, I definitely like #'s 86 and 89.

In both cases, I had to pay way over guide to get them (the O.S. guide definitely has to be adjusted for some classic GA covers).

They are WAY under-priced in the O.S. guide. I paid 4.5 X's guide for my VG 91 and 2 X's guide for my VG+ 91.

Which other Wings covers do you like? As I mentioned before, I definitely like #'s 86 and 89.

There's a ton... my best pick ups so far have been my CGC 8.5 #87 and this...

my093.jpg

that Planet #72 cover is really well drawn. who did that?

The O.S. guide says Whitman.

I was a little inrigued with this cover as well since it looks it's been drawn in the 90's or something.

Whitman, or Whitney? I never heard of Whitman, but I know next to nothing about this genre. But looking at so many at one time, I definitely see the appeal. Its interesting to see how many ways they could stick a pinup posed babe in scifi, jungle, spy etc situations!!

Maurice Whitman drew the vast majority of Fiction House covers in their last two years of existence. Of the ones that Skybolt has posted, the Kaanga 13 and 20 as well as the Jumbo 147 and up are Whitman. Since he primarily worked for Fiction House and didn't draw any big superheros, he's someone that gets overlooked. I'm a big fan and, for the most part, prefer his artwork to the cruder, earlier FH art. There are exceptions, like the wonderful Wings 90 that was posted.

It looks like you've certainly enjoyed putting together your collection. Thanks for taking the effort to share!!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Maurice Whitman drew the vast majority of Fiction House covers in their last two years of existence. Of the ones that Skybolt has posted, the Kaanga 13 and 20 as well as the Jumbo 147 and up are Whitman. Since he primarily worked for Fiction House and didn't draw any big superheros, he's someone that gets overlooked. I'm a big fan and, for the most part, prefer his artwork to the cruder, earlier FH art. There are exceptions, like the wonderful Wings 90 that was posted.

It looks like you've certainly enjoyed putting together your collection. Thanks for taking the effort to share!!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Thanks adamstrange. Also, thanks for the background information on Whitman. I really need to go back and learn the history behind these books.

As far as the collection is concerned, I have really enjoyed getting each and every single book in the mail. Not too long ago I sold off most of my low grade gga copies like Rulah #23 and Thrilling #67, but I'm keeping the rest. I've also upgraded a few like Sheena #9, and Jo-Jo #11 (I still have my original 5.0 copy of this book, because in some ways the cover looks glossier than my 8.0 copy). I also have another 9.2 restored copy of Zago #2, which I posted in another thread not too long ago.

That Brenda Starr 14 is awesome, and looks undergraded. In the last two years I have yet to see any Brenda Starr issue, any grade, go for anything but a ridiculously high price (therefore I don't own a one). I'll bet you paid at least double graded guide for that one.

That Brenda Starr 14 is awesome, and looks undergraded. In the last two years I have yet to see any Brenda Starr issue, any grade, go for anything but a ridiculously high price (therefore I don't own a one). I'll bet you paid at least double graded guide for that one.

Unfortunately, there's a reason for the 7.5 grade. The book looks like an easy 9.0/9.2 candidate except for a 1/2" spine split up on top. Nothing intrusive, but still a spine split. And yes, this book set me back about $1K.

Amazing that you've been able to put this collection together in just a few years! Very impressive work indeed. So far, that Wings #90 you recently posted is my favorite "new discovery." Killer, killer stuff!

Unfortunately, I have overpaid for a good number of these comics. If I sold these books tomorrow (which I won't) I'd definitely lose at least 20% of what I put into them. However, I figured that since I'd hopefully be keeping this collection for a long time, I could overpay slightly now and not worry about flipping them the next day.

It's just really frustrating to look for a book for a long time, and when a decent copy shows up, it's way overpriced. I have become a little more budget conscience these days and will probably take a break for a few months. There are only 2 more books that I consider must haves, and those are Phantom Lady #17 and Junior #14. Others on the back of my mind are Seven Seas #4 and 5, Phantom Lady #23, Planet Comics #30, Wings Comics #86 and #89, and a few others that I can't remember. Some of the horror and Timely titles have some great female covers, but I don't want to open up a whole new can of worms now. smile.gif

A few others you may want to put on your list after looking thru Gerber is Gem Comics #1, My Life #4, Slave Girl Comics and Cow Puncher #2!

West

A few others you may want to put on your list after looking thru Gerber is Gem Comics #1, My Life #4, Slave Girl Comics and Cow Puncher #2!

West

Thank West, I do have the Cow Puncher book, but I'm definitely checking out the others. There are also a few Matt Baker Romance covers that are absolutely stunning.

Unfortunately, there's a reason for the 7.5 grade. The book looks like an easy 9.0/9.2 candidate except for a 1/2" spine split up on top. Nothing intrusive, but still a spine split. And yes, this book set me back about $1K.

That sounds about right as a VG copy would probably sell for $300-$400, and even with a 1/2" spine split your copy might still be undergraded. I doubt you'd take a 20% loss on that issue if you were to sell it today.

That Seven Seas #3 looks nicer than a 3.5 as well.

That sounds about right as a VG copy would probably sell for $300-$400, and even with a 1/2" spine split your copy might still be undergraded. I doubt you'd take a 20% loss on that issue if you were to sell it today.

That Seven Seas #3 looks nicer than a 3.5 as well.

You have a great eye rjpb, I was thinking the exact same thing with the Seven Seas #3 book. I have no doubt that CGC would've given it a 4.5 grade. The book has dings and creases, but no tears. I was really surprised with the 3.5 grade.