• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone bought from Beatlebluecat on eBay?
2 2

60 posts in this topic

I have never bought have watched his closely...and every big auction usually has at least 1 bidder with low feedback bids a bunch of time and raises the prices...then if they happen to win one, there score NEVER goes up.  You can't see the bidders, but its always the same number of positive feedbacks bidding..I presume but seems really fishy to me.  

44 minutes ago, vheflin said:

beatlebluecat has recently sold 4 raw NM Hulk #181 for a total of $25K...wonder where they all come from?hm

:frown:

16 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Always seems to have high grade keys and doesn't slab. Anyone have any dealings and if so, how was his grading?

Based on his scans and the grades mentioned in his listings, when you look real close at those always slightly blurry scans, the grading looks extremely optimistic, spines crisscrossed with stresses more typical of CGC 7.0 to 8.0s than the 9.2 to 9.6s the books are touted as.

2 minutes ago, cpfefer said:

I bought a "high grade" ASM 129 that was advertised as a 9.4-9.6.  After receiving it from BEATLEBLUECAT it was a 9.0 at best.  They didn't honor the return policy and Ebay had to get involved.  I would avoid them like the plague.

What were the seller's initials?

48 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Her? What's her initials? That would make it easy for me to pinpoint the exact source of the Hulk 181s, AS 129s, AS 300s, etc., etc.

I have no idea.

1 hour ago, cpfefer said:

I bought a "high grade" ASM 129 that was advertised as a 9.4-9.6.  After receiving it from BEATLEBLUECAT it was a 9.0 at best.  They didn't honor the return policy and Ebay had to get involved.  I would avoid them like the plague.

This happened to me, possibly the same book? Last fall I bought what looked to be a safe 9.4 ASM129 and a possible 9.6. When I got it there were multiple spine ticks that ran deep and a smudge that I just could not see on the pictures. It wasn't suspicious enough at the time for me to say they weren't being forthcoming with the defects but apparnetly multiple people had similar experiences. 

As with kellyssuperheroes, CGC saves me from another one.  This beatlebluecat is one shady baller.

Edit: I realize I can't go necroing every shady seller, so this will be my last.  But I was just about to buy from two in a row, saw warning signs, and here are the threads.  Is the moral here no raws off ebay?

Edited by Poekaymon

6 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

As with kellyssuperheroes, CGC saves me from another one.  This beatlebluecat is one shady baller.

Edit: I realize I can't go necroing every shady seller, so this will be my last.  But I was just about to buy from two in a row, saw warning signs, and here are the threads.  Is the moral here no raws off ebay?

No. Nothing wrong with alerting buyers these “shady” sellers are still active.  We sometimes lose focus and good sense when we see a cool book or other shiny things.

Find sellers you’re comfortable with and give them your business.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:53 PM, Poekaymon said:

Very late but no, you can find great deals buying raw books off of Ebay you just have to find a reputable seller that isn't juicing their listings. I think CGC estimates in the listing are shady, generally, but a VF/NM designation is fine. Just make sure there are plenty of pictures and ask for more if need be.

I found a seller with really nice wares that will probably yield a lot of very high grade books. They're priced fairly, though a bit on the high side for big lots, and he doesn't seem to know to list all the key issues in the title so some end up going well below FMV. So there are great sellers on Ebay you just need to do your due diligence.

The reason why these sellers deal in raw.

By the time you get the book, they have a 50/50 shot of you dropping it into your collection and never questioning the grade or if it was restored.

Or, by the time it gets graded and back in your possession, it may be to late to file a claim.

4 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Very late but no, you can find great deals buying raw books off of Ebay you just have to find a reputable seller that isn't juicing their listings. I think CGC estimates in the listing are shady, generally, but a VF/NM designation is fine. Just make sure there are plenty of pictures and ask for more if need be.

I found a seller with really nice wares that will probably yield a lot of very high grade books. They're priced fairly, though a bit on the high side for big lots, and he doesn't seem to know to list all the key issues in the title so some end up going well below FMV. So there are great sellers on Ebay you just need to do your due diligence.

Yeah since posting this back in May I've bought a bunch of raws off the bay.  Has mostly been fine.  Have overpaid a few times and vice versa.  Probably about even overall.  I have yet to attempt to return anything.  Main problem with raws is I don't really know page color or restoration or any of that.  That's one reason I like to buy non 9.8s and crack em.

I notice that a lot of times people post really blurry or poorly lit pics.  And there is really no basis to judge whether it is a 9.8 or a 9.0 or lower.  Usually debate whether they did it on purpose or they just suck at posting books.  A look through their history usually informs which way it goes.