• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just So Wrong?
1 1

40 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2019 at 10:34 AM, sfcityduck said:

Yesterday, I bought a copy of the Swedish Stalmannen No. 23, which has one of the most disturbing covers I've seen.  What on earth is going on here?:

I have meaning to snap a pic of this book - not GA but kind of an infamous cover.  I have an Arabic version of the book and another Arabic issue  with a cool cover (that one is oversized).

20190824_152808.thumb.jpg.9c217e88e16463edca86f4e90c835fc6.jpg

20190824_152822.thumb.jpg.3937ac06287d33ebbd9eab6aeab8bd0d.jpg

On 8/21/2019 at 2:18 PM, Lazyboy said:

It would be disturbing if Batman and/or Superman were wearing lipstick. As is, it's just strange and completely devoid of context.

20 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

I think that Superman is putting the Lipstick back into Batman's Utility Belt... :whistle:

Really need to see their hands to be sure... :roflmao:

It looks like Batman and Superman are having a laugh after Batman stole a kiss on Robin leaving his lipstick on Robins face but that’s based on years of having been aware  of the accusations leveled at the duo.

I’m sure in reality the artist only intended that Robin got kissed off cover and Batman and Superman are having a laugh over it.

It just shows what effect Wertham and others have had on us that we jump on the image of the duo they helped create.

22 hours ago, telerites said:

I have meaning to snap a pic of this book - not GA but kind of an infamous cover.  I have an Arabic version of the book and another Arabic issue  with a cool cover (that one is oversized).

20190824_152808.thumb.jpg.9c217e88e16463edca86f4e90c835fc6.jpg

Well,  whoever drew this one doesn’t exactly like America I guess.

3 minutes ago, szav said:

Well,  whoever drew this one doesn’t exactly like America I guess.

It is from Action 457 - I think Bob Oskner was the cover artist with Swan art inside obviously should have been done differently.  Ebay is full of hype like obscene Supes, Supes child abuse, etc.  

542168._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

2 minutes ago, telerites said:

It is from Action 457 - I think Bob Oskner was the cover artist with Swan art inside obviously should have been done differently.  Ebay is full of hype like obscene Supes, Supes child abuse, etc.  

542168._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Ah, Bob Oskner... cover artist for Adventure 420 as well.  I’d wager he full well knew what this looked like and it was intentional.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:34 AM, sfcityduck said:

What on earth is going on here?:

On 8/21/2019 at 2:20 PM, sfcityduck said:

Wertham started his anti-comics campaign in the 40s, and he's the guy who started the whole Batman and Robin speculation.

Well, I guess Wertham must have been out of step with the times back then, otherwise he would have also added in the whole threesome angle.  :whatthe:  :blush:  lol

Of course, if it was Charles Moulton, he would have caught it right away as he was doing the whole threesome love triangle in real life, in between coming up with Wonder Woman and inventing the lie detector.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/20/2019 at 12:07 PM, telerites said:

It will get a GLOD I believe with staple replacement although I think if the staples are vintage, it may be okay.  And I assume CCS will do it.  I just have the utmost confidence in their work.

That is such an oddball cover.  Did you upload a scan to GCD?  I try to if a cover is missing or needs replacement,

What issue does it reprint?

I’d go anywhere but CCS. For anything. Shoot, do it yourself, as mentioned above. Amateur hour over at CCS.

41 minutes ago, BarristerBaker said:

I’d go anywhere but CCS. For anything. Shoot, do it yourself, as mentioned above. Amateur hour over at CCS.

You know what I did.  I left out the words "do not" - I too have said I got dinged by CCS with a popped staple - it was my one and only time I used them and would not go back.  I cannot  believe I did that and am glad you quoted me so I could correct this. 

For the record, I meant to say - " I just DO NOT have the utmost confidence in their work.

3 hours ago, szav said:

Ah, Bob Oskner... cover artist for Adventure 420 as well.  I’d wager he full well knew what this looked like and it was intentional.

I had to look that one up. I see what you mean...

338?cb=20170601033949

19 hours ago, N e r V said:

It looks like Batman and Superman are having a laugh after Batman stole a kiss on Robin leaving his lipstick on Robins face but that’s based on years of having been aware  of the accusations leveled at the duo.

I’m sure in reality the artist only intended that Robin got kissed off cover and Batman and Superman are having a laugh over it.

It just shows what effect Wertham and others have had on us that we jump on the image of the duo they helped create.

You don't really have to explain it to us...I'm sure we all got that. (thumbsu

When people feed the need/urge to explain what makes a joke funny...it ain't funny anymore. 

15 minutes ago, G G ® said:

When people feed the need/urge to explain what makes a joke funny...it ain't funny anymore. 

Sorry, just commenting on how the “rep” factors into our perception now of what’s usually intended as innocent...

Being labeled something even as a fictional character sucks...:devil:

I would simply remove the staples and leave the pages loose (if preservation is your goal).  If you care about the color of the label, staple replacement will get you a purple label, while leaving the staples off will result in either a blue or green label (green simply because the book presents so nicely and they might wish to give you a grade based on that rather than the lower grade of a book missing staples).  They might even give you a conservation label leaving the staples out (what color is that again?).

22 hours ago, Yorick said:

I would simply remove the staples and leave the pages loose (if preservation is your goal).  If you care about the color of the label, staple replacement will get you a purple label, while leaving the staples off will result in either a blue or green label (green simply because the book presents so nicely and they might wish to give you a grade based on that rather than the lower grade of a book missing staples).  They might even give you a conservation label leaving the staples out (what color is that again?).

Based on what CGC says about the Conserved label, I get that if I can either clean the existing staples or replace with vintage staples:

Conservation Repairs

Conservation repairs are performed with the intent of preserving the structural or chemical integrity of a comic book using professional techniques and materials. It excludes aesthetic repairs such as color touch and piece fill. All conserved grades must satisfy the CGC quality scale of "A" and quantity scale of "1".

• Tear seals
  • Spine split seals
  • Reinforcement
  • Piece reattachment
  • Some cover or interior cleaning (water or solvent)
  • Staples cleaned or replaced
  • Some leaf casting
  • De-acidification

Materials Used for Conservation Repairs:

• Rice paper
  • Wheat glue
  • Vintage staples
  • Archival tape

On 8/26/2019 at 9:05 AM, G G ® said:

As my son says.  Jokes are like frogs.  If you dissect them you understand them better.  But they're dead.