• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are some themes in your OA collection?
1 1

72 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I'm happy to add people, but I need you to tell me:

• The name to use on the listing
  • The theme name / brief description
  • A link to the art

Without that, I have nothing to list. I'd prefer if you'd put that information on the Themed Art Collections thread - 

Oh, was just writing casually, am sure many here are !

I have several themes:

1. 80s independent art including the black and white boom.

2. First appearance of major characters.

3. Great stories by Alan Moore, paired with amazing artists.

4. Comic artists and an example of their "best" work (their classic peak period).

5. Frank Miller stories and art, especially with Miller inks.

I'm mostly content these days, and just pick up a few things a year.

Edited by heartened

I have a mix between specific characters I like and specific storylines/series I read that I really enjoyed or feel nostalgic for. The rest of my pieces that don't fit either category are ones that had art I just really loved that a few times has made me read the material it came from.

My gallery is pretty much all themes - although some of the unusual ones, the name actually starts with the word theme...once Bill added the by artist feature then organizing strictly by artist is largely redundant

http://cafurl.com?i=23828

So not all of them but roughly organized by
1. Early Masters
2. Penciler / inker teams by scarcity (10 galleries)
3. Pure Everett/Pure Kirby/Studio Gallery (4 galleries)
4. British writers and artists (4 galleries)
5. 70s Nostalgic runs (6 galleries)
6. Themes - including baseball and music (8 galleries)
7. a bunch of misc galleries for the rest

I actually do review these every once in a while to see if I can come up with a theme and ditch some of the generic categories

Actually, when I get a new piece of art that fits in one of these galleries then it is likely to get posted but if it doesn't fit then it doesn't

I recommend people use at least some themed galleries, it is a fun way to collect and have less expensive pages be even more attractive when they fit your collection best.

Mark

Hope and perseverance.

Whether it's my first page purchased ever: Tokyo Ghost where Debbie and Dent travel to,and see for the first time, New Tokyo.

Or a cured Joker researching his legal options in the Arkham asylum prison.

Or my last example were Aster is scavenging and  rowing a rowboat through a flooded Parisian street.

Also, strong women:

Debbie from Tokyo Ghost

Aster from Aster of Pan

Cordelia from The Magic Order

My personal themes are all over the place, artist, character, series, uncommon, basically what appeals to me also as a comic collector. I limit my price range to under $300 per item. (Although my wife's purchasing range is apparently higher as she paid $525 for a Gary Frank Hulk). I have tried to establish an assortment of types (cover, panel page, splash page, tilte splash, unpublished, and preliminary) as well as favorites (Gary Frank, Iron Fist, Star Wars and Star Trek, Godzilla, The Tick,) I have a list of wants and try to find the best example of want for price. Next on my list is an in costume Spider-man or DareDevil. I'll have category for convention sketches and art I (or my wife)have gotten for our son.

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=90870

On 16/01/2021 at 4:33 PM, Ducky13 said:

My personal themes are all over the place, artist, character, series, uncommon, basically what appeals to me also as a comic collector. I limit my price range to under $300 per item. 

That's my limit too. While it may seem small to some, it's rather doable and I really like the idea of finding a piece I adore without breaking the bank.