• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are some themes in your OA collection?
1 1

72 posts in this topic

Most people here seem to be generalists, but with leanings to an artist or character. I collect to the character, which is not uncommon (although, my choice is not a typical one). For panel pages, I look for a page (or two) which tell a story, and I particularly like offbeat layouts and clever or unusual border designs. Not that I would walk away from a great cover or splash if it fell within my budget. 

Let me point out that pricing is often affected by the characters on the page. If there is a character you like who is not particularly popular, you can get excellent art at a lower than typical price. They are also a lot harder to find.

Lots of people favor particular artists; occasionally, some people like subjects (e.g. graveyards). Some are more by category (Romance, Western, Vintage Horror, toy based).

I am interested in folk's themes - for me, when I get a new piece of art I consider does it fit into one of my themes / gallery rooms? If the answer is yes then I am more likely to post the new acquisition.

Some of my themes can be seen below and in my CAF:  http://cafurl.com?i=23828

- Rare / Scarce / Beloved Penciller / Inker teams

- British artists and writers

- Minor 1970s nostalgia titles

- "Silly Heroes" (Impossible Man / Tick)

- Baseball

- First appearances / Origins

- Movies / TV Shows

- WWII Planes

Now that CAF has the by artist listing, organizing your CAF some other way / by themes add some personality to the collection

Edited by mtlevy1

I do like the old school classics: Neal Adams Batman, Bernie Wrightson Swamp Thing, BWS Conan, Kubert Hawkman, Marshall Rogers Batman, etc. Still need a Ploog Man Thing and Kaluta Shadow, among others. I also try to get nice examples by great artists, as opposed to chasing an entire book or story.

I collect variations of Romita’s classic “Face it Tiger, you hit the jackpot” panel done with two different characters. A few of the artists have gotten a little naughty with it haha

I wanted to start a jungle versions theme - think Savage Land Rogue but with different heroes - but at the last con the couple artists I pitched it too just looked at me all confused (“You want Supergirl in a jungle?”) and passed. Maybe if I find someone good at drawing jungle women to start it off I can show others.

Edited by Cman429

I collect:

specific books (the first dozen comics I ever had, like MTU #11 with the Inhumans, still looking for several pages!) 

Certain Characters or titles

Marvel B&W Magazine Art 

I also arrange my CAF by publisher and era

nothing bores me more than a CAF arranged by artist when CAF already does that. All that really does is give you an exact count by that artist, which is why people do it I guess.

i also don’t like a CAF with an excessive # of galleries - my personal rule is there must be 3 or more items in a gallery to merit having one.

I will also confess that my CAF is far more organized than the actual art! 

Like many I collect by artists and characters but beyond that I do have some other theme I like to collect:

iPod, iPhone, iPad related art. Most is with my "Draw Me an iPod" commission theme but also includes published art featuring those items

Swashbuckling artwork from Swords of the Swashbucklers to Sinbad and Nightcrawler

40s Pulp artwork: Buck Rogers, Rocketeer, Flash Gordon, The Phantom and The Shadow

Birthday strips: artwork from newspaper strips I like published on my birthday (February 27, 1968) but doesn't have to be the year I was born.

I go horizontal and vertical. Horizontally , I aim at having at least one strong piece (ideally cover or splash ) of all my favourite artists.  All filtered by strictly Marvel, period 1966-1990. But am willing to explore some contemporary artists

Then I have some “verticals”: Phoenix by Cockrum and Byrne , Defenders issues 1-50, UXM by Silvestri Green.

I should have mentioned when I first started to build my collection, I decided I wanted to get a nice cover or splash of the main hero’s and villains in the Marvel and DC universe. The issue I ran into and what destroyed my goal was I started to pick up multiples of certain characters like Batman and Black Panther. Queue getting obsessed with Peanuts strips and I am completely broken. 

My collecting themes are:

1. Full-figure covers and splashes from 1972-86

2. Transformation and origin recaps

3. Catch phrases and oath pages

4. Classic/memorable cover homages

5. Calendar, licensing and poster arT

6. NYC landmarks / skyline

Edited by GreatEscape

5 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

My collecting themes are:

1. Full-figure covers and splashes from 1972-86

2. Transformation and origin recaps

3. Catch phrases and oath pages

4. Classic/memorable cover homages

5. Calendar, licensing and poster arT

6. NYC landmarks / skyline

"Catch phrases" - that is a particularly interesting one - I may "lift' that one at some point!