• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are some themes in your OA collection?
1 1

72 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2019 at 2:06 PM, dichotomy said:

Three themes have evolved over the years naturally, but they don’t dictate my collecting.

1. Things I read as a kid

2. I like to put my kids into commissions

This just in from Steve the Dude Rude. Nailed it. I gave him a page of headshots as a reference. He was very nice, and didn’t even charge me full price for the second figure. I love the pose he came up with - very appropriate to Superman. 

B4630140-5E18-4877-B5C2-DAC3A827D835.jpeg

On 8/31/2019 at 2:14 PM, dichotomy said:

This just in from Steve the Dude Rude. Nailed it. I gave him a page of headshots as a reference. He was very nice, and didn’t even charge me full price for the second figure. I love the pose he came up with - very appropriate to Superman. 

B4630140-5E18-4877-B5C2-DAC3A827D835.jpeg

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing

I like to collect the creators and comics that I love, both new and classics. My interests span a wide spectrum, but I do have a big, big soft spot for horror anthologies; especially from the early Warren runs. But I also love pulp, sci-fi, and war comics as well. I'd love some very early and important Marvel art, but I don't know if it will be achievable... probably some day. There's a few specific Ditko Dr. Strange pages I'd donate a kidney for. I love great storytelling. Don't care it it's independent or big 2. Just needs to be a great story narratively and visually. I just love comics, and if the story moves me, and I the visual story-telling / art hits me... then i'll probably want to collect some pages.

It's hard to really rank my favorite artists. My favorite classic artists are Wrightson, Williamson, Toth, and Ditko... and there's so many more that I absolutely love, and want pieces from... more than I care to list. My favorite modern creators are Darwyn Cooke and Daniel Warren Johnson, and similarly so many others, more than I care to list. I just love comics.

3 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I like them. Ever pick up any published art with both of them?

Some cross-over events here and there, but there isn't a ton of overlap. All the OA from two recent Detective issues by Kyle Holz were pulled down by one collector. Earlier stuff like Brave & Bold pages (#199) just don't pop up very often. 

I don’t collect a lot of comic art as I’m mostly video game box art and pinball backglass  illustrations but for comic art I seem to have ended up buying mainly 80s and 90s indie series (Groo, Simpsons, Adventurers, etc) as I like those just as much as big 2 and the art is a small fraction of the cost of the big 2 stuff.   I guess Groo was Marvel published at the time, but not a marvel property.   

I dunno. Now that Iron Man is dead and Cap is soiling his diapers, Marvel is gonna need some fresh blood in the movies. And we all know nobody draws as much fresh blood as Groo. I just read they’ve confirmed Deadpool into the proper marvel cinematic universe, and not just a side toy. 

if they can have Ryan Reynolds in there, and a talking tree and raccoon work, maybe the work needs some Groo? He might be one of the new Avengers. Maybe even the best Avenger?

Plus, who doesn’t love cheese dip? Folks in the theater sure do. And I bet they want folks back in the theater.

I’m holding my breath!

Edited by ESeffinga

Whether intentional or not, I do recognize a few themes in my collection which generally favors periods when I read comics the most (1972-78, 1984-87 and 1992-94). 

For covers and splashes, I prefer full-figure images and don't mind "static" poses as opposed to "in action"..,.key themes include: (1) images used for merchandising, posters or ads; (2) 'energy rays' extending to the edge; (3) prominent New York City skyline or buildings and (4) homage covers by modern artists that I appreciate but perhaps less familiar with their work. 

For interior pages, my themes are (5) origin recaps, (6) catch phrases and (7) transformation or costume change panels.   Oh, and I like "time sequence" images with multiple drawings (ie, Flash running, Daredevil flipping, Superman flying, etc.).

Edited by GreatEscape

Flashes Rogues, whenever there has been great writing, or sometimes an attempt at great writing accompanied by even better art. Sort of obsessional, lousy investment, but makes me very happy. Very enjoyable tracking these characters over nearly 60 years.

Plus the usual a page  two of someone who had a great series,

hmm looking at my avatar, who could have guessed   ????

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs
forgot something, damm it why do I have to keep explaining !!!!

I'm happy to add people, but I need you to tell me:

• The name to use on the listing
  • The theme name / brief description
  • A link to the art

Without that, I have nothing to list. I'd prefer if you'd put that information on the Themed Art Collections thread - 

Edited by alxjhnsn