• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Somebody please explain to me this whole Disney owns Sony thing
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Disney doesn’t own Sony. 

Sony owns Spider-Man movie rights, which they acquired in the 80s(?)

Sony and Disney (Marvel) had an agreement for a joint venture where Marvel makes Spider-Man movies for the MCU.

it sounds like disagreements have led to a dissolution of the Disney/Sony Spider-Man joint venture.  

I dont think it impacts xmen, as they were previously owned by fox movies, which is now owned by Disney.  Other than there won’t be spider/X-men crossovers in movies anytime soon

5 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

You’d think they will re-agree in relatively short order, too much money to be had to screw it up.  Except it is Hollyweird, so who knows.

Not really... as much as I want to see Spider-man play in the MCU it is a brilliant move on Sony's part to walk away. 

So long as they retain Tom Holland, audiences will always associate that incarnation of the actor as part of the MCU.  If Tom Holland's Spider-man goes up against Venom then Venom is now 'part of the Marvel Universe' as far as the majority of movie goers will believe.   Sony had a buy in and if the deal does not go through, I predict that the next Spider-man is still a success regardless of whether or not a MCU cameo or guest appearance is scripted.   If Sony retains Holland and walks away from Disney I think that Sony outthought Disney. 

.... i hesitated to say this... have wondered a lot about it but

i'm glad disney doesn't own "everything" so to speak...

it would be too "good a deal" with no hope of "better" it would have fizled it for me....

it really would have made burnout a lot quicker, yes i believe that disney could do a good job, but then without controversy etc people would yawn again and say same old same old...

if no one has to try to out do or at least do better? idk just food for thought...

Sony’s track record of producing Spider-Man films hasn’t been the greatest as of late. The studio will definitely make money, but unless something changes, I fear we’ll get a forgettable movie and another Spider-Man reboot with a new actor in 8-10 years and so on just so Sony can retain the rights.

Honestly, I feel the worst for Holland in this scenario. With Disney, he’s synonymous with spider-man - and has a chance to be iconic. With Sony, he’s Andrew Garfield...nothing wrong with that - great actor, but that’s not your ceiling when signing on to play spider-man. 

11 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Sony’s track record of producing Spider-Man films hasn’t been the greatest as of late. The studio will definitely make money, but unless something changes, I fear we’ll get a forgettable movie and another Spider-Man reboot with a new actor in 8-10 years and so on just so Sony can retain the rights.

Honestly, I feel the worst for Holland in this scenario. With Disney, he’s synonymous with spider-man - and has a chance to be iconic. With Sony, he’s Andrew Garfield...nothing wrong with that - great actor, but that’s not your ceiling when signing on to play spider-man. 

I agree.. sucks for Holland if he's not in the MCU as I thought they would of made a bigger universe around him.. Spiderman is an iconic character as you mentioned and Sony hasn't been the greatest so far... Maybe Sony might surprise us, who knows.

But I am guessing this might affect other MCU cross overs (if there were any) like maybe not having an appearance in a potential X-Men movie or Dr Strange or Thor or GotG or a New Avengers movie, etcc..

15 hours ago, BrooksR said:

(shrug) If Disney acquired Sony Films why is this happening? Does this affect x-men also? I honestly don’t understand their relationship.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-feige-spider-man-franchise-exit-disney-sony-dispute-avengers-endgame-captain-america-winter-soldier-tom-rothman-bob-iger-1202672545/amp/

I think you're confusing Sony and Fox.

14 hours ago, mattn792 said:

You’d think they will re-agree in relatively short order, too much money to be had to screw it up.  Except it is Hollyweird, so who knows.

Marvel was getting 5% of Spider-Man with their current deal. Now they want 50%. This is after two successful movies under the Sony label. Sony doesn't think they need them. Especially now that Marvel has handed them the keys.

12 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Marvel was getting 5% of Spider-Man with their current deal. Now they want 50%. This is after two successful movies under the Sony label. Sony doesn't think they need them. Especially now that Marvel has handed them the keys.

They wanted a 10x increase?  Knowing that, I'd say Sony did the right thing then. 

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

They wanted a 10x increase?  Knowing that, I'd say Sony did the right thing then. 

Sony is gonna lose more than that at the box office. The last time Sony had full control over the franchise they ruined Electro, the Rhino, and Norman Osborn. Maybe now they'll get a crack at Kraven, the Scorpion, and Doc Ock.

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

Sony is gonna lose more than that at the box office. The last time Sony had full control over the franchise they ruined Electro, the Rhino, and Norman Osborn. Maybe now they'll get a crack at Kraven, the Scorpion, and Doc Ock.

Not necessarily, didn’t Sony also do the first two Maguire movies?  But yes, everything else has sucked since then.

19 hours ago, revat said:

Disney doesn’t own Sony. 

Sony owns Spider-Man movie rights, which they acquired in the 80s(?)

Sony and Disney (Marvel) had an agreement for a joint venture where Marvel makes Spider-Man movies for the MCU.

it sounds like disagreements have led to a dissolution of the Disney/Sony Spider-Man joint venture.  

I dont think it impacts xmen, as they were previously owned by fox movies, which is now owned by Disney.  Other than there won’t be spider/X-men crossovers in movies anytime soon

Sony purchased the Spidey movie rights in 1999 soon after Marvel's bankruptcy.  Paid $7 million for it.  Crazy thing, Sony was offered the entire remaining Marvel Universe of characters including Spidey for $25 million, which Sony refused (they only wanted Spidey)! 

Edited by mosconi

31 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Not necessarily, didn’t Sony also do the first two Maguire movies?  But yes, everything else has sucked since then.

The Raimi/Maguire movies(well, the first two.anyway) are probably the best live action iterations of Spidey. But Spider-Man 2 was 15 years ago. Sony bungled the Raimi series when they insisted that a watered down Venom be forced into the 3rd movie. Then they gave us the two Marc Webb fiascos. The Venom movie didn't exactly inspire confidence in Sony's abilities without Marvel. I think the franchise, under Sony, will be cratered again.

Edited by Larryw7