Somebody please explain to me this whole Disney owns Sony thing
1 1

36 posts in this topic

54 posts

Disney wants more than the 5% of cut from the money the movie makes as the current deal stands. Sony said no with no counter offer. Honestly, Sony needs Disney more than Disney needs Sony. Sony like Fox has no vision for their superhero properties. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,990 posts
5 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Sony is gonna lose more than that at the box office. The last time Sony had full control over the franchise they ruined Electro, the Rhino, and Norman Osborn. Maybe now they'll get a crack at Kraven, the Scorpion, and Doc Ock.

I think these characters can be redone at any time and done correctly. Some studios have dropped the ball repeatedly--- but these mistakes can be overcome with time and new approaches. At least that is what I hope can happen.

I mean-- I am still waiting for someone to do a great job with the Fantastic Four. What I don't understand is why they never try creating the movies in the time when the books came out--- other than things like Peggy Carter or Captain America. Perhaps it is a production cost thing-- or that they fear the lack of cell phones and less computer technology will not work. Maybe I am just wanting the movies to be a little more true to the times that the comics came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,463 posts

One thing I'm not clear on, since Sony owns the Spider-Man movie rights, does it also own the Spidey villain movie rights for those that first appeared in the title?  Could Marvel make a Sinister Six movie without requiring negotiation with Sony? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53,234 posts
9 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Sony is gonna lose more than that at the box office. The last time Sony had full control over the franchise they ruined Electro, the Rhino, and Norman Osborn. Maybe now they'll get a crack at Kraven, the Scorpion, and Doc Ock.

turning peter parker into snot faced andrew garfield and green goblin into booger from revenge of the nerds and electro into dufus who goes ballistic because spider man didnt come to his birthday party-and got his powers from electric eels wtf-worst episodes ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,336 posts
16 hours ago, mosconi said:

One thing I'm not clear on, since Sony owns the Spider-Man movie rights, does it also own the Spidey villain movie rights for those that first appeared in the title?  Could Marvel make a Sinister Six movie without requiring negotiation with Sony? 

Sony supposedly owns Sinister Six. Not all of this information is public as to who owns what.

On 8/21/2019 at 2:18 PM, Larryw7 said:

Sony is gonna lose more than that at the box office. The last time Sony had full control over the franchise they ruined Electro, the Rhino, and Norman Osborn. Maybe now they'll get a crack at Kraven, the Scorpion, and Doc Ock.

Sony is already developing a Kraven movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,982 posts

Disney wants to own everything. They want to control what you watch and how you watch it. Put some mouse ears atop the Earth and you will have the final merger. Again, folk that work there call it "Mousechwitz."

Wait till they start mixing Marvel with Star Wars with The Lion King with Cars with Chittty Chitty Bang Bang. Anything for a buck and a t-shirt and/or refrigerator magnet sale. Hey George Lucas!? With the 4 billion you made with your Star Wars deal, might you make an experimental film or two or maybe give some cash to, I dunno eight  thousand young film makers? You really gonna miss the 1 billion it might take to get some films made that are, say, different. You used to say sh*t like this all the time when you started out with THX1138 and now look at you. You look like Jabba The Hut, eating Big Macs all day and night. But the museum he's building Noman! Show some respect! Who builds a museum or gives to charity and name checks them self?

Smoke and mirrors. Smoke and mirrors.

EDIT: AND STEVEN SPIELBERG CAN USE THAT JURASIC PARK MONEY AND BUY A MANSION AND GO LIVE IN IT. SHUT UP AND NEVER COME OUT. MAYBE HE COULD END UP LIKE THOSE GREY GARDEN LADIES.

Edited by NoMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,381 posts

The way Sony is thinking is....

They can just regurgitate Spiderman every year or so and people will run out and pay copious amounts of money too see it.

And owning the rest of The spiderman universe they can battle it out with Disney.

Spiderman is Marvels flagship and the storylines that can evolve from the Spiderman franchise are monumental.

And they can have their own Godlike character in Knull, as well as a multiverse with Miles Morales and Gwen Stacy.

It's a gamble, but who knows, maybe they are holding 4 aces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,990 posts
3 hours ago, NoMan said:

Disney wants to own everything. They want to control what you watch and how you watch it. Put some mouse ears atop the Earth and you will have the final merger. Again, folk that work there call it "Mousechwitz."

Wait till they start mixing Marvel with Star Wars with The Lion King with Cars with Chittty Chitty Bang Bang. Anything for a buck and a t-shirt and/or refrigerator magnet sale. Hey George Lucas!? With the 4 billion you made with your Star Wars deal, might you make an experimental film or two or maybe give some cash to, I dunno eight  thousand young film makers? You really gonna miss the 1 billion it might take to get some films made that are, say, different. You used to say sh*t like this all the time when you started out with THX1138 and now look at you. You look like Jabba The Hut, eating Big Macs all day and night. But the museum he's building Noman! Show some respect! Who builds a museum or gives to charity and name checks them self?

Smoke and mirrors. Smoke and mirrors.

image.png.a5bc31a37e13c984da6925f8f387c17a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,888 posts
On 8/21/2019 at 4:42 PM, 01TheDude said:

I think these characters can be redone at any time and done correctly. Some studios have dropped the ball repeatedly--- but these mistakes can be overcome with time and new approaches. At least that is what I hope can happen.

I mean-- I am still waiting for someone to do a great job with the Fantastic Four. What I don't understand is why they never try creating the movies in the time when the books came out--- other than things like Peggy Carter or Captain America. Perhaps it is a production cost thing-- or that they fear the lack of cell phones and less computer technology will not work. Maybe I am just wanting the movies to be a little more true to the times that the comics came out.

DC finally got one right with Wonder Woman taking her back to her 1900s World War roots.  To their credit they didn’t muck it up by instilling modern overly PC values and in your face virtue signaling like Marvel is heading towards.

Mini-Rant off... hope all the studios take note about the resonance and success of the first Wonder Woman and put more movies out that stay true to the original characters and themes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,228 posts
54 minutes ago, szav said:

DC finally got one right with Wonder Woman taking her back to her 1900s World War roots.  To their credit they didn’t muck it up by instilling modern overly PC values and in your face virtue signaling like Marvel is heading towards.

Mini-Rant off... hope all the studios take note about the resonance and success of the first Wonder Woman and put more movies out that stay true to the original characters and themes.

Aquaman with 1 billion would like a word with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,336 posts
On 8/21/2019 at 2:18 PM, Larryw7 said:

Sony is gonna lose more than that at the box office. The last time Sony had full control over the franchise they ruined Electro, the Rhino, and Norman Osborn. Maybe now they'll get a crack at Kraven, the Scorpion, and Doc Ock.

I see you put a confused response to the Kraven comment. Here's more on that:
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/08/23/every-spider-man-spinoff-movie-sony-developing-marvel-split/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
115 posts

No lets pray for another solo hulk movie to happen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20,769 posts

Frankly I am not into spideyman as shield agent or junior avenger, so him doing solo stuff vs. His usual baddies without Nick fury yelling at him is fine. The "avengers" are caput right now anyway. Mind you, spidey interacting with some of the mcu NYC Netflix folks would make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20,769 posts
On 8/21/2019 at 3:55 PM, mosconi said:

Sony purchased the Spidey movie rights in 1999 soon after Marvel's bankruptcy.  Paid $7 million for it.  Crazy thing, Sony was offered the entire remaining Marvel Universe of characters including Spidey for $25 million, which Sony refused (they only wanted Spidey)! 

$7 million. Ridiculous. In 1999. That got you 7 shares of dog poop.com then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20,769 posts
23 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Aquaman with 1 billion would like a word with you. 

One word: mamoa! They cast it right. I didn't think it was so great, but not jla bad or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1