• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 superman comic
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I have been asked to sell a first edition superman comic. It didn't take much research to realize I was a little out of my league. I sell vintage and antique books as well as other things but never anything on this level. I know my first step will be an appraisal. I know it is fine to very fine, and a pristine copy was sold on eBay in 2014 for 3.2 million. Is that where I should sell this one? Should I auction it or go by what the appraiser says it's worth?

uhh you have been tasked with selling a 6.0-8.0 Action Comics #1?:whatthe:

I would first post a picture of it...then get it slabbed which will cost a pile of $$$ don't forget $1.5mil in postal insurance when you mail it to CGC:applause:

is this a normal forum occurrence?

EDIT: registered mail only insures up to $50K, wonder how you ship something worth >$1mil?

Edited by vheflin

first off yeah post some pics of it get it graded and slabbed I wouldn't ship it out specially if its action comics 1 I would go to a Con where there's on site grading call CGC and tell them what you want to do see how they can help you out with grading such a valuable book. get it appraised do some research and contact a few of the auction houses like heritage they will be able to guide you much better. 

Yes, actually no need to post the picture here, even though we might want to see it.  There’s not a ton of benefit, but there is some risk. I’d contact Cgc directly and make arrangements

Edited by revat

13 hours ago, Knight70 said:

I have been asked to sell a first edition superman comic. It didn't take much research to realize I was a little out of my league. I sell vintage and antique books as well as other things but never anything on this level. I know my first step will be an appraisal. I know it is fine to very fine, and a pristine copy was sold on eBay in 2014 for 3.2 million. Is that where I should sell this one? Should I auction it or go by what the appraiser says it's worth?

Let me just say that I apologize for all the "ambulance chaser" messages your PM box is no doubt flooded with right now.

1 hour ago, vheflin said:

uhh you have been tasked with selling a 6.0-8.0 Action Comics #1?:whatthe:

I would first post a picture of it...then get it slabbed which will cost a pile of $$$ don't forget $1.5mil in postal insurance when you mail it to CGC:applause:

is this a normal forum occurrence?

EDIT: registered mail only insures up to $50K, wonder how you ship something worth >$1mil?

I'd consider taking a Florida vacation so it wouldn't leave my person.

That's assuming it's the real deal

Don't listen to these quacks! What you want to do is mail it to PGX through the good old U.S. postal system. Wait a minute, my brother is under a USPS contract, so he's kind of like a postman. Tell you what, let me know where to pick it up and I'll get it over to him. We'll worry about details later. 

Also, please post pics. I now everyone on here is waiting to see it!

14 hours ago, Knight70 said:

Does this win the Best 1st Post Ever award?

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:
2 minutes ago, csaag said:

no because I know it isn't real.

if its real and he comes back later to dunk on us, THEN it's the best first post ever.

They're almost never real. I'll answer anyway, since it's fun. 

The first thing you need to do is ensure that it's not a reprint. I've had people send me photos of "Action #1s" for years and only one was ever real (and that guy knew what he had- he as sending me photos from a throwaway email account!). There is an over-sized reprint that people commonly mistake for the real thing. it was published at 10 x 13-1/2" with an outer cover that is often removed. If your book is a lot bigger than a regular comic, then you're out of luck.

If it is real and you've taken possession of it, I would make sure your insurer knows about the book (assuming you haven't already.) You deal with paper collectibles, so I'll assume you have decent storage WRT to climate control. Store it securely. Then, back away from the book and let some comic-specific professionals handle the book from then on. Even a restored copy is worth six figures and an unrestored 6.0+ copy would tickle (or clear) seven figures.  Any damage to an unrestored copy would be measured in tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Personally, if I were you I would contact Heritage and Comic Connect and then let them fight it out over who could give me the best deal. Both would be very happy to sell the book for you. I would also let them deal with getting it graded (unless you're really excited about flying the book down to CGC in Florida.)  You could also try to work with dealers or collectors who might be interested in buying the book outright (you would have several suitors on these boards), but that's not as painless as working with one of the auction houses. 

also the sweat beads, yellow running board line between headlight and green triangle car part and rocks to the right if they are missing chances are its a reprint

1 hour ago, csaag said:

Maybe if this was the first new member to claim they have an original Action Comics 1...

1 hour ago, revat said:

if its real and he comes back later to dunk on us, THEN it's the best first post ever.

or this.

There's always skepticism when a new member comes along and claims to have highly valuable, top books. There's a very good reason for that, because they rarely actually do have what they think/hope. Just ask the posters in this thread who've been around for ~15 years how many times they've seen variations of this post and how many of those times the book has been real.