• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 superman comic
1 1

25 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Maybe if this was the first new member to claim they have an original Action Comics 1...

or this.

There's always skepticism when a new member comes along and claims to have highly valuable, top books. There's a very good reason for that, because they rarely actually do have what they think/hope. Just ask the posters in this thread who've been around for ~15 years how many times they've seen variations of this post and how many of those times the book has been real.

100's of times, and ONCE

19 hours ago, Knight70 said:

I have been asked to sell a first edition superman comic. It didn't take much research to realize I was a little out of my league. I sell vintage and antique books as well as other things but never anything on this level. I know my first step will be an appraisal. I know it is fine to very fine, and a pristine copy was sold on eBay in 2014 for 3.2 million. Is that where I should sell this one? Should I auction it or go by what the appraiser says it's worth?

"first edition superman comic"

Sounds like this: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?IID=5500161

Edited by valiantman

16 hours ago, shadroch said:

One wonders how many unscrupulous book sellers have bought reprints thinking they were real.

Funny-ish story- There's an Entertainmart in our city. I don't know how big the franchise is, but it's one of those geek stores that sells video games, cards, and movies and comics. When this one first opened, there were actually some good finds in their dollar bins. Basically, they have a dollar section (seven or eight long boxes worth) and a large amount of average-priced back issues as well. On my first trip, the cashier asked if I had found anything big. He then told me how the employees dig through the shipments before putting them out. He said he thought he had something when he found this- and pulled a comic out from under the counter. It was an Action #1 reprint. It was obvious to me it was a reprint, but he said he looked it up wondering if it was real. No one there seems to know anything about comics. I can only imagine his blood pressure when he saw the $$$ before realizing he had a reprint.