• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How HIGH can you get missing your cover? or Top 10 with a twwisssssssst

42 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2019 at 11:08 AM, Chicago Boy said:

I’ll take a shot.  Unrestored, good binding , good eye appeal and PQ :

AC 1 :  100k

Tec 27 : 60k    

Huge drop off after this

Supes 1 15-20k

Bats 1 15-20k

Cap 1 10-12k

AS8 10k

Flash 1 7-8k

MC 1 9-10k

Pep 22 10k

WW 1 & Suspense 3   4-5k 

Agree with top 2 but feel your low on a bunch of them after. I see a coverless good looking page quality Pep 22 being worth at least 20. Bats 1 Supes 1 and Cap 1 seem low also. 

2 minutes ago, ender said:

While not the Mega Keys that are on the list there was a coverless complete More Fun 73 that recently sold for 5000. Any guess on an All American 16 might fetch?

1 sold for 10k a few years ago. Seems on par with the recent downward trend for this book. I would have said 4- 7 k.  I once paid 4 k for a coverless incomplete AA 16 to attach to a front cover I had but that’s back in the day when the census numbers were in the teens —were now over 50.  Still want someone to comment on action1kids coverless complete Tec 27 estimate 

13 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Still want someone to comment on action1kids coverless complete Tec 27 estimate 

I think the Action 1 & The Tec 27 are on there way to 100k or very close (85s-90s)  I also feel as the top gos up it inevitably pulls the bottom KEY books higher . However, when you start to get into those kind of $$$$$. I personally feel a lot has to do with the US economy in general, ie we have been riding a looooooog upward trend in stock market &  I assume that 401ks  have had some impact on the mind blowing final hammer on these two books. 

On a side note:   After 40 yrs of collecting I say this with all sincerity coverless books were fillers at best & a joke to most of us not to long ago &  even todayt here are very few keys if any other then these two that will ever come close to getting that kind of money without a cover.

32 minutes ago, Tbone911t said:

Paid just north of 3k for my coverless Tec 38, but I already had a FC. 

Five years ago or less you could have a cover list take 38 for anywhere between $900-$1500. Nice to see the going rate increased that much. I always thought that was low for the first Robin especially with a splash page that mirrored the cover

2 hours ago, Tbone911t said:

Paid just north of 3k for my coverless Tec 38, but I already had a FC. 

I think that is the only way some collectors with more modest budgets will ever be able to get the big keys. I paid a little over 600 for a front cover of Adventure 48 to go with the coverless I already had.

2 hours ago, ender said:

I think that is the only way some collectors with more modest budgets will ever be able to get the big keys. I paid a little over 600 for a front cover of Adventure 48 to go with the coverless I already had.

And  CGC will pick up they are married?

3 minutes ago, action1kid said:

I would assume so but don’t know as I haven’t slabbed it. But danged  if it doesn’t look awesome in a Mylar with a full back in there to keep it straight... and just by chance covering up the back of the book:idea:

Edited by ender
Spelling

20 hours ago, action1kid said:

That would probably depend on whether the FC has the staple placement visible. I think that's the main way that married covers get spotted, due to the variability of the location.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:08 AM, Chicago Boy said:

I’ll take a shot.  Unrestored, good binding , good eye appeal and PQ :

AC 1 :  100k

Tec 27 : 60k    

Huge drop off after this

Supes 1 15-20k

Bats 1 15-20k

Cap 1 10-12k

AS8 10k

Flash 1 7-8k

MC 1 9-10k

Pep 22 10k

WW 1 & Suspense 3   4-5k 

I think Detective #27 is closer to Action #1 than you think.

Superman #1 is further ahead of Batman #1.

Cap #1 is closer to Batman #1.

Marvel #1 should be right in the thick of Batman #1 and Cap #1.

Coverless but otherwise complete OW-W PQ, firm staples, nice centering, CGC Universal slab estimates:

Action Comics #1

$90,000

Detective Comics #27

$75,000

Superman #1

$30,000

Batman #1

$15,000

Captain America Comics #1

$15,000

Marvel Comics #1

$15,000

2 years ago I traded my coverless complete "extra" copy of Superman 1 for a back cover to Superman 1.  My coverless copy was not perfect by any means, but it was complete.  In my mind I valued it at $12k - $14k.  So it felt like I was paying $14k for the back cover to Supes 1.  The back cover was in really nice shape.  

40 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

2 years ago I traded my coverless complete "extra" copy of Superman 1 for a back cover to Superman 1.  My coverless copy was not perfect by any means, but it was complete.  In my mind I valued it at $12k - $14k.  So it felt like I was paying $14k for the back cover to Supes 1.  The back cover was in really nice shape.  

As far as back covers go, Sup 1 and Marvel 1 have always stood out as some of the most desirable.  Well done sir.