• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How HIGH can you get missing your cover? or Top 10 with a twwisssssssst

42 posts in this topic

As the top pulls the bottom up what would be your opinion of the FMV of these top Golden Age books in coverless NG complete? How many of these even have recent data or sales ?

Note:  feel free to add anybook you think belongs on this list, I just used the old standards :)

1) Action Comics #1 

2) Detective Comics #27

3) Superman #1

4) Batman #1

5) Captain America #1

6) All-Star #8

7) Flash #1

8) Marvel Comics #1

9) Wonder Woman #1

10) Suspense #3

11) PEP # 22 

12 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

As the top pulls the bottom up what would be your opinion of the FMV of these top Golden Age books in coverless NG complete? How many of these even have recent data or sales ?

Note:  feel free to add anybook you think belongs on this list, I just used the old standards :)

1) Action Comics #1 

2) Detective Comics #27

3) Superman #1

4) Batman #1

5) Captain America #1

6) All-Star #8

7) Flash #1

8) Marvel Comics #1

9) Wonder Woman #1

10) Suspense #3

11) PEP # 22 

I’ll take a shot.  Unrestored, good binding , good eye appeal and PQ :

AC 1 :  100k

Tec 27 : 60k    

Huge drop off after this

Supes 1 15-20k

Bats 1 15-20k

Cap 1 10-12k

AS8 10k

Flash 1 7-8k

MC 1 9-10k

Pep 22 10k

WW 1 & Suspense 3   4-5k 

56 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Huge drop off after this

Supes 1 15-20k

Bats 1 15-20k

Cap 1 10-12k

AS8 10k

Flash 1 7-8k

MC 1 9-10k

Pep 22 10k

WW 1 & Suspense 3   4-5k 

Why would anyone pay $5K for a coverless Suspense 3?  The only selling point is the Schomburg cover.  Why would a COVERLESS Suspense 3 sell for more than Suspense 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 have recently sold for with covers?

14 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

My twist on this topic would be this:  Would a COVER ONLY of a Suspense 3 be worth more than a COVER ONLY of any of the comics above it on the list?

While I generally agree Suspense 3 is worthless without its cover,  maybe there’s a little more value to it than you think to someone trying to complete a copy that’s missing a CF or some wraps.

4 hours ago, szav said:

While I generally agree Suspense 3 is worthless without its cover,  maybe there’s a little more value to it than you think to someone trying to complete a copy that’s missing a CF or some wraps.

People will pay to have a complete. , nice presenting suspense 3 in a CGC or Voldy holder that says Suspense 3 IMO 

13 hours ago, szav said:

Many new collectors are glad to own an incomplete copy at an affordable price. With a xerox cover and a blue label, the aesthetics can look just as pleasing as a complete one in the holder.  This copy recently sold on eBay.

conservedSupes1.jpg

2 hours ago, GomerPyleUSMC said:

Many new collectors are glad to own an incomplete copy at an affordable price. With a xerox cover and a blue label, the aesthetics can look just as pleasing as a complete one in the holder.  This copy recently sold on eBay.

conservedSupes1.jpg

On bids and it hit almost 9k with resto & pages missing WOW!~

19 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Huge drop off after this

Supes 1 15-20k

Bats 1 15-20k

Cap 1 10-12k

AS8 10k

Flash 1 7-8k

MC 1 9-10k

Pep 22 10k

WW 1 & Suspense 3   4-5k 

WOW! Any of those prices would have blown most/all of us away just a decade ago ( imagine seeing a NG Action #1 at SDCC with a 90K sale price in 2009 ). I think your pretty close on most of them ( maybe a little high on a few) and a little low on the SM #1. ( I could see a COMPLETE NG repo cover getting 25+ on evilbay with a BIN ). You pretty much nailed the Tec # 27. Just a few months ago I was offered 60k cash ( over 6 months & I hold the book) and a  AF #15 4.5 blue/chipping for mine ( the offer was from a regular boardie & nice guy :) so I feel it was very fair & sincere and I had to think about it hard, its just that I know I can never replace the book again & once I blow the money on more comics or another 1969 Camaro I am beat lol On a side note: it kinda makes me a little sad that we are now at a point in this hobby/buisness when many collectors can't even afford a coverless example of a KEY book. Who knew?

Edited by Frank Mozz

2 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

WOW! Any of those prices would have blown most/all of us away just a decade ago ( imagine seeing a NG Action #1 at SDCC with a 90K sale price in 2009 ). I think your pretty close on most of them ( maybe a little high on a few) and a little low on the SM #1. ( I could see a COMPLETE NG repo cover getting 25+ on evilbay with a BIN ). You pretty much nailed the Tec # 27. Just a few months ago I was offered 60k cash ( over 6 months & I hold the book) and a  AF #15 4.5 blue/chipping for mine ( the offer was from a regular boardie & nice guy :) so I feel it was very fair & sincere and I had to think about it hard, its just that I know I can never replace the book again & once I blow the money on more comics or another 1969 Camaro I am beat lol On a side note: it kinda makes me a little sad that we are now at a point in this hobby/buisness when many collectors can't even afford a coverless example of a KEY book. Who knew?

Wow - so 60k cash + a 4.5 AF 15 for the Tec 27 ?   That’s like 90k.   Yours presents well from what I remember:  tan - ow pages. With some notes on the label ??  What were the notes ?

Edited by Chicago Boy

3 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Wow - so 60k cash + a 4.5 AF 15 for the Tec 27 ?   That’s like 90k.   Yours presents well from what I remember:  tan - ow pages. With some notes on the label ??  What were the notes ?

Hi, It was more like 80ish  if I recall the 4.5 had chipping and tape on an inside page, still a stand up & very fair offer, but I think the fact that it included 6 months of  payment was a big part of the offer, esy pay changes things imo.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:11 PM, Frank Mozz said:

1) Action Comics #1 

2) Detective Comics #27

3) Superman #1

4) Batman #1

5) Captain America #1

6) All-Star #8

7) Flash #1

8) Marvel Comics #1

9) Wonder Woman #1

10) Suspense #3

11) PEP # 22 

I see on EBay  2- coverless Detective 27’s.

Both are missing the first 3 wraps centerfold and cover. ( which is the entire Batman story) One is asking 25k- one is asking 15k- 

There are Action 1 pages for sale which contain the Superman story on EBay. One page is going for 15k the other 13k- No one in biting.

There is a Splash page for Superman 1 going for 8 k.

Complete unrestored Golden age keys are the realm of Millionaires alone now, 

Let’s start a Crowdfunding service for these books now. Lol

7 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

You know, the Stock market isn’t the only place that has Bubbles. Baseball cards went crazy too and as a result the cards have stagnated for 3 decades with some exceptions. Now with Technology, the reproductions 0f card’s not only look good, they look aged too. This has cheapened the card collecting copy to me. I mention this because I’m see unauthorized copies on eBay for Key book- and they are looking better and better every day. Inexperienced buyer beware!