• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Filling a spinner rack with the comics on rack for your first purchase
1 1

35 posts in this topic

No, but dang....Now you have me thinking.

Superman Annual 7. That would be cover date 9/63. 

I have that book. I have an Avengers 1. This will be a bit expensive unless I load it up with Charlton Romance and War titles

BUT....Spinner racks are hard on comic books. I like this idea, but I think it like it better with pictures of said comic books placed in backing boards and bags, or mounted to an art type board. 

But it would be a very cool display/man cave thing. So thanks for the suggestion Kav! 

3 minutes ago, Tony S said:

No, but dang....Now you have me thinking.

Superman Annual 7. That would be cover date 9/63. 

I have that book. I have an Avengers 1. This will be a bit expensive unless I load it up with Charlton Romance and War titles

BUT....Spinner racks are hard on comic books. I like this idea, but I think it like it better with pictures of said comic books placed in backing boards and bags, or mounted to an art type board. 

But it would be a very cool display/man cave thing. So thanks for the suggestion Kav! 

These would be some of the books on my rack:
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Category:1967,_May

5 minutes ago, kav said:

These would be some of the books on my rack:
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Category:1967,_May

Did you buy them back then to preserve and collect or read? I don't know if anyone back then thought they would ever amount to serious collector items? I know some people collected then but it was a very small hobby if I'm not mistaken?

1 minute ago, MGsimba77 said:

Did you buy them back then to preserve and collect or read? I don't know if anyone back then thought they would ever amount to serious collector items? I know some people collected then but it was a very small hobby if I'm not mistaken?

Just to read.  They took a beating.  Condition meant nothing.  Comics were like gold bars to me, back then.  Each one was precious.  Many times I wished I could go back in time and give myself some longboxes full of comics.  The sad part is I didnt know what I was doing I just bought mostly superman and action, with stan kaye, wayne boring etc, rather than world's finest and adventure, with the top notch curt swan art.

Just now, Tony S said:

Nice resource. This might not be so bad. i have a number of the DC books for Sept 1963

here's the Marvel books:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Category:1967,_April

you can also do a search for gold key apr 1967 etc.

1 minute ago, Tony S said:
5 minutes ago, kav said:

here's the Marvel books:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Category:1967,_April

you can also do a search for gold key apr 1967 etc.

D'em Marvels going to sit me back more $$

Roy Thomas when he was penciler xD

Always remember him for being editor.

If I could pickup only 2 I'd go straight for the X31 & Daredevil 

6 hours ago, kav said:

Has anyone ever done this? recreated the comics that were on the spinner rack the day you picked up your first comic book?

i wish,,. whenever ASM 102 (25 cent issue) came out  , that would be the month/year of the spinner rack i would re-create , if i had a spinner rack ...

Edited by 1950's war comics

I have two (non-spinning) racks. Once is nothing but copies of Ghost Rider 15 (with the glow in the dark flaming skull), and the other is shiny stuff from my adolescence, like a bunch of X-Men #1, foil books, glow in the darks, etc. The books are cheap and easy to find, but still hold a place of nostalgia in my heart, and I don't worry about the condition or if they get dusty because they're not really worth anything. If someone grabs a copy of X-Men #1 to read and dings a corner, that's ok, I have a few dozen more to take its place. 

IN MY DAY...

comic racks were a bit different.  As a kid I'd saunter down to the Dry Goods & Sundries shop and pour over the spinner rack over by the pickle barrel.  But the whole rack was nothing but the same copy of Obadiah Oldbuck.  The next week I went to see the new selection... but same thing.  Obadiah Oldbuck.  Week after week.  Month after month.  One singular issue of Obadiah Oldbuck.  Even as a kid I soon realized, after about the 3rd purchase, that this was the same book over and over again.  Finally I asked the clerk, "Are they ever going to invent a new character... or even put out a second issue?".  He chewed at his cigar a moment, then just shrugged.  Eventually they did come out with something called "The Brownies"... but by then I was headed to college and my interest in comics faded as I sought to pick me up one of the new steam carriages.  Once I returned from college, I discovered mom and tossed out my 3 copies of Obadiah Oldbuck.  Something about needing the extra storage space.

If I had a rack - I doubt I would do this with the exception of the books that I cared about. Comic racks in the mid 1970s held so many various publishers and many of them were not something I would collect or probably even notice all that much. And I am thinking that my first purchases were from three packs-- with the initial time I bought from a comic rack itself being several months later. I do recall that when I would go to the 7-11 in order to buy up books-- my focus was solely Marvel super hero books, candy bars, and a slurpee-- and I now understand this was a limited viewpoint to have at the time. But that was 10-12 year old me.

In other words-- trying to recreate some sort of nostalgic moment when it comes to the first time I saw a comic rack is kind of lost on me. I don't discount others having this moment-- but it was not significant enough at the time to register in my brain (not using the racks which was fun-- but the actual books that were on them save a handful of Marvels). I don't know-- I doubt I will ever own a rack anyway. I have never set up a comic book room itself. Most of my stuff lives in boxes in a couple of closets-- taken out to look at when the mood strikes me. Not that I don't find other displays people have made interesting-- the rooms shown on that Comic Book Room thread are pretty awesome. It just isn't something I am interested in setting up-- and not because of some other person telling me not to-- just me.

I think the lack of desire for a comic room might have been the result of not having a solid LCS near me that I hung out at regularly. When I see some of those pictures-- it feels like I am looking at a comic book and toy store. They are cool looking but I don't have that connection.

My early collecting days spanned a very short period of my life though it seemed pretty intense at the time. I was only actively obtaining books from about 1975 to 1978 or so. Then I was only maintaining things for many years off and on until getting back into the hobby around 2014 (buying again). So I have now collected books longer in my middle age than I did in my childhood. Part of me wonders if I am about to start reviewing my beer can collection now (still have it) -- though that hobby seems to be on life support compared to comic books. Of course-- they don't make movies about beer cans too often.

Edited by 01TheDude

8 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

If I had a rack - I doubt I would do this with the exception of the books that I cared about. Comic racks in the mid 1970s held so many various publishers and many of them were not something I would collect or probably even notice all that much. And I am thinking that my first purchases were from three packs-- with the initial time I bought from a comic rack itself being several months later. I do recall that when I would go to the 7-11 in order to buy up books-- my focus was solely Marvel super hero books, candy bars, and a slurpee-- and I now understand this was a limited viewpoint to have at the time. But that was 10-12 year old me.

In other words-- trying to recreate some sort of nostalgic moment when it comes to the first time I saw a comic rack is kind of lost on me. I don't discount others having this moment-- but it was not significant enough at the time to register in my brain (not using the racks which was fun-- but the actual books that were on them save a handful of Marvels). I don't know-- I doubt I will ever own a rack anyway. I have never set up a comic book room itself. Most of my stuff lives in boxes in a couple of closets-- taken out to look at when the mood strikes me. Not that I don't find other displays people have made interesting-- the rooms shown on that Comic Book Room thread are pretty awesome. It just isn't something I am interested in setting up-- and not because of some other person telling me not to-- just me.

I think the lack of desire for a comic room might have been the result of not having a solid LCS near me that I hung out at regularly. When I see some of those pictures-- it feels like I am looking at a comic book and toy store. They are cool looking but I don't have that connection.

My first grab of a comic is seared in my brain.  I can remember what the weather was like, the smells, everything-52 years later.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

My first grab of a comic is seared in my brain.  I can remember what the weather was like, the smells, everything-52 years later.

My much older cousin collected comics and I remember looking at his really cool X-Men books in the late 1960s. Mostly I was dealing with comics I would see at the barber shop (usually Dell funny books or Archies). There was a book that I recall strongly that my cousin brought with him when they visited us around 1973 or so that was really cool-- an ASM 77. It was more of a thing that the rest of the kids in the neighborhood were sharing comics at some point-- and then the kid next door showed me the Hulk books he had and I started wanting comics of my own. No magical moment-- but a collection of fading memories. The other thing that influenced me was Spider-Man cartoons.

Edited by 01TheDude

2 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

My much older cousin collected comics and I remember looking at his really cool X-Men books in the late 1960s. Mostly I was dealing with comics I would see at the barber shop (usually Dell funny books or Archies). There was a book that I recall strongly that my cousin brought with him when they visited us around 1973 or so that was really cool-- an ASM 77. It was more of a thing that the rest of the kids in the neighborhood were sharing comics at some point-- and then the kid next door showed me the Hulk books he had and I started wanting comics of my own. No magical moment-- but a collection of fading memories. The other thing that influenced me was Spider-Man cartoons.

I was in a more isolated situation-the first time I met another person who read comics was when I was 18.  No one before that.  I figgered I was the only kid in the world that bought comics.  

Just now, kav said:

I was in a more isolated situation-the first time I met another person who read comics was when I was 18.  No one before that.  I figgered I was the only kid in the world that bought comics.  

it was pretty common where I lived-- south suburbs of Chicago. And then sports came along and I was done with acquiring and simply a custodian for my younger self. I did not keep up with a single thing going on with comics until the early 1990s when I worked for Time Warner and had access to all the Batman stuff going on then.