• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Filling a spinner rack with the comics on rack for your first purchase
1 1

35 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I have two (non-spinning) racks. Once is nothing but copies of Ghost Rider 15 (with the glow in the dark flaming skull), and the other is shiny stuff from my adolescence, like a bunch of X-Men #1, foil books, glow in the darks, etc. The books are cheap and easy to find, but still hold a place of nostalgia in my heart, and I don't worry about the condition or if they get dusty because they're not really worth anything. If someone grabs a copy of X-Men #1 to read and dings a corner, that's ok, I have a few dozen more to take its place. 

I’m tempted to start collecting chromium covers

11 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I have two (non-spinning) racks. Once is nothing but copies of Ghost Rider 15 (with the glow in the dark flaming skull), and the other is shiny stuff from my adolescence, like a bunch of X-Men #1, foil books, glow in the darks, etc. The books are cheap and easy to find, but still hold a place of nostalgia in my heart, and I don't worry about the condition or if they get dusty because they're not really worth anything. If someone grabs a copy of X-Men #1 to read and dings a corner, that's ok, I have a few dozen more to take its place. 

This is the greatest.

Any of the gold second print GR?I LOVE those(and the regular.That and Silver Surfer 50,all prints,are weaknesses to me)

2 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Anytime I see something flashy hologramy silver glowie for a buck or two,in good shape I hoard it.

Some of them aren't easy without scratches.

26 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Anytime I see something flashy hologramy silver glowie for a buck or two,in good shape I hoard it.

Yeah I had some from the 90’s that I bought and stuck in a bag and forgot about for 15 years. When I dug them up they were mostly pretty scratched up just from the bags

12 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

You should! They're (generally) practically worthless, readily available, and look great!

10 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

This is the greatest.

Any of the gold second print GR?I LOVE those(and the regular.That and Silver Surfer 50,all prints,are weaknesses to me)

YES, you're talking my language. For the last few years I've bought every copy of GR 15 I find for $1 or less. So, in that time I've managed to pick up a handful of golds as well, though I don't run into them nearly as often. But yeah, that gold glow in the dark book really pops, it's super. I put my gold copies at the TOP of the rack! Even more elusive than the golds, however, are the newsstand copies. They're still glow in the dark, still card stock, but they have the UPC. I've only got three or four of those over the years.

Silver Surfer 50, that's the one that kicked off the craziness for me too. I love the 2nd and 3rd print variants, I pick them up whenver I see them, which is less and less these days. Word is out on how cool those are, apparently.

10 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

That's a good point too. I've owned several chromium covers that are structurally "near mint", but the chromium itself has tons of tiny scratches. I've always wondered how CGC grades those?

My apologies if this has already been asked but what month in relation to month published would the comics actually have been on a comic rack? For instance, would comics with JULY on the cover have actually been on the rack in July 1967? Or did they appear on the racks a few months earlier so retailers would be less eager to return them as unsold stock?

3 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

My apologies if this has already been asked but what month in relation to month published would the comics actually have been on a comic rack? For instance, would comics with JULY on the cover have actually been on the rack in July 1967? Or did they appear on the racks a few months earlier so retailers would be less eager to return them as unsold stock?

There's a link posted someplace here where you can look up books dated,say July,or what was on the stands.Gimme a sec,I'll try to find it.

Here we go-in the post I linked to in the bday comic thread.

Edited by porcupine48

Even more cool to me than filling a spinner rack with the comics from the month I was born would be filling them with the comics that would have been on the spinner rack the day I bought my first comic (so I can see which ones I passed on when it came time to spending that hard-earned quarter). Using the handy above link I can now confirm the month I bought my first comic was May of 1975 - Richie Rich Dollars and Cents #68. I was seven and a half years old (would any parent nowadays let their child walk ten blocks to the corner store on their own?). Regardless, I made the right choice. :cloud9:

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Cartoon Character, Richie Rich Dollars and Cents #68 File Copy (Harvey, 1975) CGC NM+9.6 Off-white to white pages....

Edited by Black_Adam

5 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Jul covers were prob on the rack in May