• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corner dent... Pressable?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have a nice copy of X-men 129 but it has one major flaw a corner dent.

From experience, do you think pressing the dent will make it much better? 

Any way to save this beauty?

Please see pics

Thanks for your input !

20190820_212924.jpg

20190820_212902.jpg

Edited by migmtl76
typo

8 hours ago, joeypost said:

Easy fix...but any color breaks will remain post pressing. Based on the other color breaking spine tics, this book will never be a 9.8 but it will look better. 

Thanks Joey (and theCapraAegagrus). The book is probably at worst an 8.0, at best a 9.0.

Another question: When I submit to CGC should I choose Pressing (as opposed to QuickPress) for such a defect?

All the best !!!

On 8/21/2019 at 3:29 PM, migmtl76 said:

Thanks Joey (and theCapraAegagrus). The book is probably at worst an 8.0, at best a 9.0.

Another question: When I submit to CGC should I choose Pressing (as opposed to QuickPress) for such a defect?

All the best !!!

I don't know... just what we can see in the pic would drop it to a 9.0. if the tics are consistent down the spine, the grade would drop at least another point. Hard to say without seeing the whole book.

Here's a pressing question. Pun intended. When you have a defect like that corner scrunch, which shows up on the front and back, is that counted off twice? For example, I have a spine tic that you can see breaks color on the front cover. That's usually about 0.2 off the grade. Now what if its a particularly nasty spine tic that carries over to the back of cover. Another 0.2 off?

On 8/23/2019 at 2:51 PM, Conacon said:

I don't know... just what we can see in the pic would drop it to a 9.0. if the tics are consistent down the spine, the grade would drop at least another point. Hard to say without seeing the whole book.

Here's a pressing question. Pun intended. When you have a defect like that corner scrunch, which shows up on the front and back, is that counted off twice? For example, I have a spine tic that you can see breaks color on the front cover. That's usually about 0.2 off the grade. Now what if its a particularly nasty spine tic that carries over to the back of cover. Another 0.2 off?

Great question. Hope someone answers :)

Is it safe to assume color breaks are the bane of pressing, but if you have a white cover with dents, you should be ok?   I have a Thor #337 that I was thinking about getting pressed.  Most issues appear to be on the white section of the cover. 

8 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Is it safe to assume color breaks are the bane of pressing, but if you have a white cover with dents, you should be ok?   I have a Thor #337 that I was thinking about getting pressed.  Most issues appear to be on the white section of the cover. 

The question is whether there's still some type of damage to the fibers of the paper.  Maybe the pressing makes them too hard/small to see even if it can't eliminate them 100%.  Another question is if CGC treats those issues on a white section of the cover exacty the same as if it was on a colored section.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:00 PM, Mercury Man said:

I had that same thought this past weekend. If you can see the bend/crease, and a press flattens it to where it goes away, then you're golden. If you press and you can still see where the crease was (maybe holding it at a certain angle with respect to the light), then the points will be deducted, I guess?