• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keystone Comic Con roll call!!!

16 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2019 at 9:49 AM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

Who is going to be at Keystone this Friday. I will be in the house and would love to catch up with a few fellow board members.

Pat

how was it?

Show was good due to Torpedo and CGC presence. Some good books to see. Artist alley was so so. Cgc on site was a good reason for me to attend. No art dealers. Any art the artists had was picked through by a local art dealer, so slim pickens.

I went to both Chicago and Keystone.  Vendors were pretty happy at both shows, but Torpedo I think had a slower show as there weren't the super big buyers in the room and the expense with travel for them to do the show.  The smaller vendors had a good show.  I found more than enough to buy.  Multiple Hulk 181s, WWBN 32s, a slew of books that will grade out well, some solid on site returns.  I will say that there weren't a ton of people there friday but every dealer seemed happy.  My margin buys were far better at Keystone.  Now that said, I spent more money at Chicago and the books I bought were higher priced (x-men 1, TOS 58, FF 49 several rare horror and romance etc).  

I was able to get 14 moderns graded the same day, and nine of them had to be relabeled, and that was done the same day. I purchased a bunch of books from Greg Reece, and that was my total purchases. Show was slow, but attendance was good, just not enough to do.

My review of Keystone:

The show was lite overall, there was a lot of open space and not enough comic dealers for my taste. I do not do much with ANYTHING else, so the focus is comics. I did buy from Zapp comics as well as another dealer, I am happy with my little stack of books but only spent about $100.00. CGC was pretty lite as I was only there Friday, I submitted some economy and moderns the Economy all graded where I expected, the Moderns were all higher minus (2) 9.8s that were expected. Honestly, the on site grading makes the show worthwhile. Hopefully this stays the norm as there is a lot of room for improvement as well as a good market out that way. There was still a ton of books in the room, but a lot of dealers trying to sell copper keys 20% over Ebay pricing is just stupid. But the established dealers were all good to buy from, plenty of books available and some deals to be had.

14 hours ago, Dmac538 said:

I was able to get 14 moderns graded the same day, and nine of them had to be relabeled, and that was done the same day. I purchased a bunch of books from Greg Reece, and that was my total purchases. Show was slow, but attendance was good, just not enough to do.

Thanks for your purchases. We think that overall the show was a major improvement over year 1 and with it being a different weekend than WW Chicago next year I expect it to improve again.

Thanks to everyone that came and saw us.

-Austin 

Reed definitely did a good job bumping up attendance for the show this year. I was very happy with all the interactions I had with attendees, whether they were buying or selling. It certainly has room to grow, but with another year of promotion and, as my brother mentioned, being off the same weekend as Wizard Chicago, I think it can be a very good show in 2020. Most dealers were saying the same thing, pretty much that while the show wasn't a record breaker, it was much better than 2018 across the board. Thanks again to all who came to buy, sell, or just meet me and my wife! See you all at the next one.

Alex

I had a great time at the show. It was a little light on comic dealers, but the ones that were there were good ones and I picked up some great comics. I was also able to get a custom sketch cover done by Jim Cheung which is currently with CGC for a nice yellow label, hopefully 9.8. I was disappointed that Denny O'Neil canceled at the last minute, I brought 4 comics with me for him to sign, but you can't blame Keystone for that. All in all, the con was a great time and was still better than Wizard world.

I should have also mentioned that my girlfriend got to meet one of her favorite celebrities, Scott Patterson, who played Luke Danes on Gilmore Girls.  She was so excited and it made the show that much more enjoyable.  We saw Scott later out at dinner and he came up to us and greeted us again -- could not have been a nicer guy.

69448198_10100542175188783_2287878256231186432_n.jpg

Edited by Foolkiller

16 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

Glad you guys had a good time that went.  Would have loved to check it out.  I'm guessing the 2020 show will be Aug 30th weekend? 

August 28-30, same weekend as FXC2020.