• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staple tears due to SCS
2 2

28 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Here’s my attempt at out of focus picture.  

D98AE7C2-7410-41B2-A710-0F88F02681C4.jpeg

Original ebay pic was taken at an angle looking down, going through the plastic at an angle that could distort image even more. The poor lighting doesn't help either.

Edited by jokiing
...more to say.

3 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

I just purchased the grader's notes. No mention of staple tears...interesting

Grader Notes:

large, multiple stain full top of cover
multiple crease full right of front cover breaks color
multiple crease left bottom of back cover
multiple readers crease front cover breaks color
puzzle coupon filled out right bottom of back cover
very small, multiple tear full bottom of back cover

Look at the front cover scan. You see staple tears on the front cover. Notes aren't all inclusive. 

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:35 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

Just bought a CGC 3.0 book from eBay. Book was packed very carefully in a oversize box with peanuts.  Despite that it received the ol’ shaken comic syndrome courtesy of USPS and received a staple tear at the lower staple to the back cover.   Front cover already had a slight tear which very slightly increased it. 

Now I know it’s hard to quantify the value of the damage but obviously damage has occurred. So I’m reaching out to y’all. 

Is the book still a 3.0?  Should I return the book?  Or should ask for a discount?  

39A8C5F6-68D4-42AC-9889-2C3A499823E7.jpeg

EA9C6A59-6EA8-490C-9337-DEA2A3A019BE.jpeg

Here's exactly what the seller did. Took me about 40 seconds to eradicate the tears. Try it, it's easy. Better appearance will juice the bid, 3.0 or 9.0. Many of the sellers of graded sportscards do this with edge dings and stains. Makes the card look like it's undergraded thus yielding better bid results. 

AF15CGC30.jpg

17 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Here's exactly what the seller did. Took me about 40 seconds to eradicate the tears. Try it, it's easy. Better appearance will juice the bid, 3.0 or 9.0. Many of the sellers of graded sportscards do this with edge dings and stains. Makes the card look like it's undergraded thus yielding better bid results. 

AF15CGC30.jpg

Yes, easy to do on the after pic which is sharp and has a somewhat even surface. Not so sure in would be as easy on the before pic. The pixel pattern in the original (on ebay) would make it a difficult patch to hide.

7 minutes ago, jokiing said:

Yes, easy to do on the after pic which is sharp and has a somewhat even surface. Not so sure in would be as easy on the before pic. The pixel pattern in the original (on ebay) would make it a difficult patch to hide.

Be even easier on the lower res pic. And as easy as it was to get rid of the tears on the hi-res shot, it would be 10 times easier on the low-rez pic. Think of it this way. It's either photoshopped or the book is haunted. Believe in the supernatural, do you? hm

27 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Be even easier on the lower res pic. And as easy as it was to get rid of the tears on the hi-res shot, it would be 10 times easier on the low-rez pic. Think of it this way. It's either photoshopped or the book is haunted. Believe in the supernatural, do you? hm

As a matter of fact I do.... but that aside, you may be right, but looking at quality of photography not so sure that seller would be capable of such sorcery.  I've been leaning towards bad photography and the downward angle as the source of this trickery... next step... see if the seller floats or sinks....

I would like to see BLUEMEDGOUP take a pic that matches the angle of the original pic to see what the tears look like. I take a lot of photos of comics and some defect don't show at certain angles and lighting.

Edited by jokiing

14 minutes ago, jokiing said:

As a matter of fact I do.... but that aside, you may be right, but looking at quality of photography not so sure that seller would be capable of such sorcery.  I've been leaning towards bad photography and the downward angle as the source of this trickery... next step... see if the seller floats or sinks....

I would like to see BLUEMEDGOUP take a pic that matches the angle of the original pic to see what the tears look like. I take a lot of photos of comics and some defect don't show at certain angles and lighting.

Bad photography isn't always unintentional. Matter of fact, on ebay, it's many times part of the sales strategy. There's only one explanation here, unless one or all the other front cover images look drastically different as does the back cover image.

Edited by James J Johnson