• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Russ Heath Roman Soldiers Comic Book Ad

14 posts in this topic

OK guys I’m tearing my hair out here...Trying to find out which books or years this appeared on the back cover of comic books. I looked through a ton of my silver age DC’s (not that I ever mind looking at them), but I’m coming up blank. Found the Revolutionary War one but not the Romans. I know I’ve seen it a million times but no luck. Can anyone steer me to it? Many thanks!

Edited by Robot Man

I thought it should be easy enough to find, so I just looked thru a box of SA Supermans... backwards. Trouble is, I had to lift all those dumb backer boards!! This would be an easier task in the 70's before we had annoying bags and boards. I looked at over a hundred books from late 10c cover price to the beginning of the 20c books and couldn't find a single example of the Romans. Revolutionary. Sure. Civil War. Yep. Battleships. Model kits. Matchbox. American Seed Co. But no Romans.  :(

I think it's an early ad and I know I've seen it recently. I'll keep an eye out.

Edited by PopKulture

I've checked 105-131 so far, no luck. Civil War and Revolutionary War but no Roman soldiers yet. Were up to 1962 in Flash. Could it have been later?  (Of course I don't have 105 and 106 yet and a few others, but I've checked scans of the issues I don't have.)

Edited by flashlites
addition

40 minutes ago, GomerPyleUSMC said:

I have long runs of SA DCs; from what I can see the ad first appeared in DCs cover-dated Oct-Nov 1963 as an interior ad page...for instance, inside Jimmy Olsen 72, Superman 165 and Action Comics 306. Later the ad migrated to its familiar spot on comic book back covers. It can be seen on the back cover of Flash 147 (Sept 1964).

The Revolutionary War Soldiers ad that Heath drew at the same time was used as a back cover first; for instance, Action Comics 305. 

Thanks so much Gomer! Couldn’t find the back cover ad but did find the interior ad. You fellows here on the boards are the best!