• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market Nonsense?
1 1

83 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if anyone can make some sense of this:

• Seller has a comic listed for $3,500 OBO. The only one on eBay in 9.9 grade (for months).
  • The other day, another seller lists the same comic in the same grade, for $3,900 OBO.
  • The 1st seller increases listing to $4,500 OBO.

Is there something that I'm missing?

I think trying to figure out the logic of random eBay dealers is a rabbit hole not really worth going into.

You could pm the guy and ask about his reasoning 

The certification Numbers (although hard to read on the older CGC labels) are different. Two separate items, and sellers.  

Edited by nepatkm
Certification

Spawn 1 has been getting quite a bit of press lately so I'd not be surprised with a price increase but it is strange that the other copy prompted them to increase the price over the other book.  Some people just like to set new GPA record prices so maybe they wanted to be that guy. 

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Spawn 1 has been getting quite a bit of press lately so I'd not be surprised with a price increase but it is strange that the other copy prompted them to increase the price over the other book.  Some people just like to set new GPA record prices so maybe they wanted to be that guy. 

I hate it when people want to be that "Guy"

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I was thinking the same thing. Hence creating this topic.

Normally a higher-priced book will make yours more attractive to potential buyers.

33 minutes ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

I'm wondering if anyone can make some sense of this:

• Seller has a comic listed for $3,500 OBO. The only one on eBay in 9.9 grade (for months).
  • The other day, another seller lists the same comic in the same grade, for $3,900 OBO.
  • The 1st seller increases listing to $4,500 OBO.

Is there something that I'm missing?

I've shamelessly done it myself. 

Let's say market has a going rate of $1000-1200 on a book.  I have my price at $1200.  Something happens that makes me feel this book is about to pop, or I see a sale on another site that was even higher than that.  I am increasing the price of my book.  I don't need it to sell right now.  I need it to sell at the price I want to get for it.  I have had people that were following a book or a toy or a lego set or anything actually... remark that it was a cheaper price 'yesterday'. I explain to them that the book is heating up and that is the new price... 

I have to be honest, even with the price increase the item eventually sells.  At one point I sold a few very hard to find (because of the demand) GI Joe figures.  As I saw similar figures start to increase, I raised the prices on mine despite some of them having multiple watchers.  Perhaps they sold at the higher prices because customers realized that the prices across the board were starting to increase all over and they better stop waiting because next week it might be even more. 

I am currently priced VERY high on one particular figure.  The figure in question is probably in the top ten of all time favorites and notoriously known for a specific part breaking.  I have one and I am not selling it for less than a certain price.  As more figures break and the well dries up ever so slightly over time, people have been making offers closer and closer to what I want for it.   At one point when I had it listed for $20 less there were no takers or offers.  Since I have raised it $20 I am getting closer to what I want and have even surpassed the initial offering price.   I have also noticed fewer out there as nice as mine because that well is drying up. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I've shamelessly done it myself. 

Let's say market has a going rate of $1000-1200 on a book.  I have my price at $1200.  Something happens that makes me feel this book is about to pop, or I see a sale on another site that was even higher than that.  I am increasing the price of my book.  I don't need it to sell right now.  I need it to sell at the price I want to get for it.  I have had people that were following a book or a toy or a lego set or anything actually... remark that it was a cheaper price 'yesterday'. I explain to them that the book is heating up and that is the new price... 

I have to be honest, even with the price increase the item eventually sells.  At one point I sold a few very hard to find (because of the demand) GI Joe figures.  As I saw similar figures start to increase, I raised the prices on mine despite some of them having multiple watchers.  Perhaps they sold at the higher prices because customers realized that the prices across the board were starting to increase all over and they better stop waiting because next week it might be even more. 

I am currently priced VERY high on one particular figure.  The figure in question is probably in the top ten of all time favorites and notoriously known for a specific part breaking.  I have one and I am not selling it for less than a certain price.  As more figures break and the well dries up ever so slightly over time, people have been making offers closer and closer to what I want for it.   At one point when I had it listed for $20 less there were no takers or offers.  Since I have raised it $20 I am getting closer to what I want and have even surpassed the initial offering price.   I have also noticed fewer out there as nice as mine because that well is drying up. 

That's good business

I'm not in the elite leagues of selling, but I had three copies of edge of spiderverse in 9.8 I was selling for $525.00 and, when I noticed a spike I removed two of the copies.

I left one because I already committed to selling it to someone.

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That's good business

I'm not in the elite leagues of selling, but I had three copies of edge of spiderverse in 9.8 I was selling for $525.00 and, when I noticed a spike I removed two of the copies.

I left one because I already committed to selling it to someone.

If someone purchases the item at the price offered then the deal is done. 

However, I have pulled things down from eBay to go back in the box for awhile no matter how many people were watching it. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Short answer: No one wants to sell "too low". When there's only one on Ebay, the seller doesn't know if their price is "too low". When a second copy shows up, the seller can go "just a little higher" to ensure the other guy is the one who is "too low".

I've started looking at the consignments at mycomicshop.com because I sent them a batch of books for consignment for the first time.  There are a lot of sellers that are just trolling for a misclick sale, IMO.  

My favorite are the people who have their books priced much higher than nicer copies that mycomicshop.com already owns and has for sale.  Or the raw 9.0 priced higher than the CGC 9.6.

21 minutes ago, wombat said:

I have watched things on ebay that have sat for YEARS that are grossly overpriced. There is no logic.  

Because it doesn't matter if it sells within a time frame.  It matters to the seller if it sells for the price they want for it.  

I recently sold a book for a very strong price that had sat there for over two years.  I was fine with that because other things sold to justify keeping it there until I got the price I wanted for it.  I have a page or two of art offered at a very strong price.  The reasoning on the art is that I don't care if it sells... but IF it sells I want it to be at a price that allows me to get something cooler.