• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A magic number: Dollars = Collectors
3 3

50 posts in this topic

Since we know there fewer than 1,000,000 collectors in the market for comic books that cost $1,000,000 and we know there are more than 10 collectors in the market for comic books that cost $10, what is the "magic number" where the number of collectors equals the number of dollars?

Are there 1,000 collectors willing to spend $1,000 on a single comic book?  Are there 5,000 collectors willing to spend $5,000 on a single comic book?

What is your "dollars=collectors" guess?

This is a twist on the standard debate "how many comic book collectors are really out there?"  Well, that kinda depends on whether you mean "how many collectors willing to spend $10" or "how many collectors willing to spend $10,000"... but somewhere in there, the number of collectors equals that dollar amount. If this is too confusing, I suggest not reading anything else I've ever written. lol

Here's another way to ask the same question...

Every collector has a "best book" in terms of its value.  For some collectors, their best book is worth $10.  For others, the best book is $100,000.

There are less than 100,000 collectors whose best comic book is worth $100,000.

There are more than 100 collectors whose best comic book is worth $100.

What is the number where the number of collectors is equal to the best book dollar value?

Are there 1,465 collectors who own a book worth $1,465?  Are there 2,000 collectors who own a book worth $2,000?

6 minutes ago, vheflin said:

If you consider not only willingness of collectors to spend but also ability to spend then the point of interest is the intersection of those two lines.  It is at that point you will find the collectors to dollars ratio.

chart9.thumb.jpg.7f86562b1a72e26f9c9a06bd8139a15c.jpg

So... what's your guess? :grin:

12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

beats me(: it's raining out but...they wouldn't be equal numbers and you'd have to do it book by book:insane: and willingness will be a function of supply so I say the lines intersect at 25,000 collectors with the ability and willingness to spend $1,000.

Edited by vheflin

26 minutes ago, vheflin said:
38 minutes ago, valiantman said:

beats me(: it's raining out but...they wouldn't be equal numbers and you'd have to do it book by book:insane: and willingness will be a function of supply so I say the lines intersect at 25,000 collectors with the ability and willingness to spend $1,000.

They must be equal numbers... otherwise you're not answering the question in this topic. lol