• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A magic number: Dollars = Collectors
3 3

50 posts in this topic

To the first question, I think 999 is a reasonable figure. Just a guess of course, but it seems to be like some psychological barrier. I guess if we wanted a more scientific estimate, we could

find ebay data, and count the number of bidders per various prices.

On a sort of peripheral note, a surprising observation I noticed was regarding how small the collector universe really is. I happened to notice that the original Marvel Masterworks lines had

something like 1000 copies printed per average title (e.g. Dr. Strange 4). What really blew me away was dividing by 50 states to get that there were only 20 copies per state!

That minuscule demand blew me away. Part of it is Demand, but also the cost point was around $50 dollars per title.  So by that metric, only 20 people (or less) were are/willing to pay $50 per book in each state.

And even more surprising, most copies can still be had for near cover price on Ebay

Edited by bronze_rules

54 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Incredible Hulk #181 is the most common "high-value" comic.

The most common grade for IH #181 is 7.5

Current GPA for 7.5 is $3,214

Thus the magic number is 3214 - 3,214 collectors worldwide willing to spend a maximum of $3,214 on one (graded) comic.

:acclaim:

Very close to Pi.. 3.141

So the magic number is pie.jpg.ade52776687ed70a8df3ffe18f6efa30.jpg

Wouldn't keys, like the aforementioned IH181, skew the results? If we are talking about an average single specific book from a specific era, the number is likely pretty low and grade dependent.

Example 1: Say I'm looking for a blue label Marvel Mystery Comics #15 in CGC 5.x or so and I'm willing to spend up to $2,000. Doubt there are 2,000 other collectors looking for that single book in that grade range. Some are going to want to spend less for a lower grade (or restored), some will spend more to get a better grade (or Pedigree).

Example 2: Looking to buy an ASM 300 in 9.6 and willing to spend $500. Could see more than 500 other collectors participate in that scenario. If I was only willing to spend $350, than the # of others willing to spend that is increased as it is below GPA (which may get a flippers or dealers attention instead of just an ASM collector). The more potential for profit on a single book would increase the desirability which would create a larger group of interested parties.

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Since we know there fewer than 1,000,000 collectors in the market for comic books that cost $1,000,000 and we know there are more than 10 collectors in the market for comic books that cost $10, what is the "magic number" where the number of collectors equals the number of dollars?

Are there 1,000 collectors willing to spend $1,000 on a single comic book?  Are there 5,000 collectors willing to spend $5,000 on a single comic book?

What is your "dollars=collectors" guess?

Tree Fiddy

5 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

She looks like shes really putting alot of thought into it

The photo of the woman hard at work looking at the diagrams and thinking looks like every episode of that dumb show "Numbers," which thankfully lasted about half a season. Throw enough at dung at the wall and something will stick. Guess "Numbers" didn't and several somebodies got fired got promotions.

Edited by NoMan

59 minutes ago, kav said:

I've a lot of research on this and it is indeed 4,212.

You may have missed some people during your calculations that were at The Olive Garden. Did you ask around The Olive Garden?

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

You may have missed some people during your calculations that were at The Olive Garden. Did you ask around The Olive Garden?

Olive Garden and other theme restaurants are subsumed under the constant r, which is 0.082.

59 minutes ago, kav said:

Olive Garden and other theme restaurants are subsumed under the constant r, which is 0.082.

Any restaurant that has rusted bikes on the walls and big framed signs that read "A Place For Friends!" I avoid. There's a lot of people with money and they want your comics! Did our president put a tariff on the Chinese buying vintage comics from us?

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Any restaurant that has rusted bikes on the walls and big framed signs that read "A Place For Friends!" I avoid. There's a lot of people with money and they want your comics! Did our president put a tariff on the Chinese buying vintage comics from us?

Anyway what I did was treat the number of comics and their value as an unequally distributed gas and uses a modified version of the perfect gas law, le chattelier's principle and the Chain Rule to calculate a version of a volume of revolution of the graph of a function.  Thats all I can say in layman's terms.

55 minutes ago, kav said:

Anyway what I did was treat the number of comics and their value as an unequally distributed gas and uses a modified version of the perfect gas law, le chattelier's principle and the Chain Rule to calculate a version of a volume of revolution of the graph of a function.  Thats all I can say in layman's terms.

Well said!

6 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Incredible Hulk #181 is the most common "high-value" comic.

The most common grade for IH #181 is 7.5

Current GPA for 7.5 is $3,214

Thus the magic number is 3214 - 3,214 collectors worldwide willing to spend a maximum of $3,214 on one (graded) comic.

:acclaim:

But there are only 1111 Hulk 181 in CGC 7.5 graded does that mean that this will make its price go up? :roflmao: