• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A magic number: Dollars = Collectors
3 3

50 posts in this topic

This is a good question though. A 1+ Billion Dollar industry with around a Million Collectors . Lowest price paid is FREE , highest around $3,200,000. I too would have to say that the number of collectors equaling dollars would fall somewhere between $5,000-$10,000

9 hours ago, NoMan said:

I’ll ask the guys who are suppose to be coming today to fix the washing machine. 

EDIT: Who came and brought the wrong part. Again. 

I bought a cheap bunk bed at clearance at Walmart. It came in a destroyed box, but it was $50 so what the heck. I took it home and started assembling it for the kids, who were DYING to have a bunk bed to do all the things the warning label tells them not to do, and I realize two of the bed rails were missing and two others were repeated. It wasn’t a HUGE deal, nothing a drill couldn’t fix, but it would look ugly. So I contacted them and told them I was missing the two pieces and they said they’d send them right out. A few weeks later they arrive, and it’s the same two wrong pieces. They sent me what I already had too much of. So I contacted them again and they said they did that because they ran out of the pieces I need. First of all, why not manufacture the parts in a proportionate amount to the number of beds they’re selling? Second, how did they think that was going to solve my problem? By the way, the kids had been bugging me about the bed the entire time. So they say they’ll ship the correct ones out in a few weeks when they’re restocked on parts. A few weeks go by and I get the package, the same exact parts they keep sending me. I now have three sets of these parts and am still missing what I need. I call them again and they said whoops, sorry. We are still out of parts and will be for several months. I threw a fit and they agreed to just send me an entire replacement bed. A month goes by, the kids are still bugging me daily for this bunk bed, and the garage is filled with bunk bed parts I’m hoping I don’t lose. The package arrives and I dig in immediately for the two missing pieces. They aren’t there. Instead is duplicates of the parts I already have. I’m up to five sets of those parts and an entire spare bunk bed and still missing the parts I need. It’s been two months. No luck returning it to Walmart now. I ended up getting out the drill after all

I think a million comic collectors is an extremely high estimate. I’m definitely thinking fewer than 100,000 for total floppy market from mainstream to self published and from moderns to golden age. Maybe a bit more readers with TPB’s and adding in libraries and digital, but strictly collectors? Can’t be a million of us 

put me down for 2000 and 2000.  Ive always believed from hands on experience that the serious high dollar collecting community in our far larger hobby is a lot smaller than most others believe.   Id lean toward a higher dollar amount for the same 2000 people, but don't want to mess with the OPs question as put forth.  More like 2000 people willing to spend 10000.

52 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I think a million comic collectors is an extremely high estimate. I’m definitely thinking fewer than 100,000 for total floppy market from mainstream to self published and from moderns to golden age. Maybe a bit more readers with TPB’s and adding in libraries and digital, but strictly collectors? Can’t be a million of us 

That was a ballpark. With the US Census  saying there are roughly 327.16 million (Feb 2018) people that's just the US.  That would be estimating only 1 in every 327  people collect comics. 

We are all replying based on our own conditions/situations.

Disposable income is the real question. Have you accomplished professionally/personally in your life to reach that point? I am talking "new money".

At what age do people have disposable income to collect these 'things"?

Not a singular answer i would imagine.

But if you have disposable income then you can spend what you want to collect.

That disposable income will obviously vary. My guess is the following:

1.  People age 50 or older have more disposable income broken up in lots. Especially if they do not come from "old money".

2. I think spending 10k at a time gives people pause and palpitations, I think spending more than 25k on a single item gives people diarrhea. A tangible item : piece of large art, automobile, property etc..>100k well thats asking for an upgrade on life insurance.

So my answer is this to the OP. The # of collectors willing to spend $ depends on their age, ascent to disposable income and their tolerance to diarrhea and chest pain.

There are x # of collectors willing to spend y depending on age*tolerance to physical and mental pain(TOP)

X(#) +y ( age*TOP) = ______