• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s MS. MARVEL Kamela Khan series (TBD)
2 2

197 posts in this topic

The show will center on Marvel's first Muslim superhero to star in her own comic book title.

With Captain Marvel flying high in on the big-screen, Marvel Studios is now focusing its other marvelous heroine, Ms. Marvel.

Marvel is developing a live-action series for Disney+, its upcoming streaming service, based on its acclaimed comic Ms. Marvel, hiring British writer Bisha K. Ali to write and act as showrunner. Ali is a comedian who is currently a staff writer on Hulu’s remake of Four Weddings and a Funeral.

The show may be announced during Friday’s Disney+ presentation. Marvel had no comment.

Ms. Marvel as a comic and heroine has existed since 1976, with the character Carol Danvers using the name for her crime-fighting escapades. Several other characters have briefly taken up the mantle and Danvers herself became Captain Marvel in 2012.

The latest incarnation, and the one the show will be focusing on, is a teenager named Kamela Khan. Khan broke ground by becoming Marvel’s first Muslim character to be lead her own comics title. Her identity as a Pakistani American, living in a religious family in New Jersey whilst trying to find her own way, have been a major focus of the stories. Her powers have been described as polymorphous, meaning she has the ability to stretch and change her shape.

The comic has appeared on numerous year-end top 10 lists and won a Hugo Award for best graphic story in 2015.

No timetable has been set for the show and it unclear whether the show will fit into the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe. Marvel is developing several other shows for the streamer that will be tied to the MCU. These include The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, to debut in late 2020; WandaVision, to debut in spring 2021; Loki, also for early 2021; and Hawkeye, for late 2021. 

Edited by Bosco685

I actually like the character so I am curious and happy to see them do something with her.   I say this while at the same time I do not own a single copy of her first appearance.  

You know what my inner three year old is also going to like? I am going to take personal delight in all the fools getting fanboy butthurt over her mere existence once she shows up on screen.  

If anyone has not picked up her series or read a few story arcs you are missing out.  She's fun. 

Edited by Buzzetta

57 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I actually like the character so I am curious and happy to see them do something with her.   I say this while at the same time I do not own a single copy of her first appearance.  

You know what my inner three year old is also going to like? I am going to take personal delight in all the fools getting fanboy butthurt over her mere existence once she shows up on screen.  

If anyone has not picked up her series or read a few story arcs you are missing out.  She's fun. 

Yep. I’m more excited for this than any other Disney+ show. Her books have been popular due to good writing and a great character. Hopefully they get a good team and lead actress on board.

One of my favourite modern titles.  A very consistently well-written book.  Interested to see her on screen.

Her background has never been an issue for me, as many British cities have large Muslim populations.  Still, educational to a degree, as well as being both a good comic and a good character.

Edited by Ken Aldred

With Peter Parker exiting the MCU (looking more permanent now), Kamala Khan will now probably take over the role of teenage super-hero Avengers apprentice, but instead of looking up to Iron Man, she'll look up to Captain Marvel.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

If new reports prove accurate, Ms. Marvel is moving right along in development; in fact, it would seem Marvel Studios has seemingly fast-tracked the upcoming television show. Reports began circulating in various "scooping" circles Tuesday afternoon suggesting the Kevin Feige-led operation has started screen testing various actors for the role of Kamala Khan. The initial report — which can be traced back to reputable scooper Daniel Richtman — says the -script for the scene being shot for the test includes references to both the New Avengers and Inhumans — the latter, of which, reportedly includes a nod to Terrigen Mist.

The report also mentions Khan is being interviewed by a character she calls "Cap," though it's unclear if this is a reference to Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) or Anthony Mackie's take on Captain America. Unfortunately for fans hoping for confirmation this means Inhuman like Black Bolt and Medusa will appear, the scene in question will likely never make it to the screen. Conversely, at the very least, it does show fans where the thought process of the show's writers current lies.

On 8/23/2019 at 11:33 PM, Buzzetta said:

Yeah, I really liked it.  It reminded me a lot of what drew me to comics in the first place.  Her growing pains seemed very reminiscent of Peter Parker’s from those early Ditko Spideys.  

MS MARVEL NEW SHOOTING START AND LARGER PRESENCE FOR KHAMALA KHAN IN THE MCU: EXCLUSIVE

Ms Marvel is prepping to film later this year for Disney+. Keen eyes at The Illuminerdi have noticed that the shooting date has shifted, while Marvel Studios is also looking to lock in a year of the new Ms. Marvel’s schedule.

At yesterday’s Super Bowl, eager Marvel fans were given their first look at the future of the Marvel Cinematic with a brief commercial for Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, and WandaVision for Disney+. The brief 30-second spot introduced millions to the new cinematic adventures from Marvel that will be only found on the burgeoning streaming service.

Last year, Marvel head Kevin Feige announced a slate of new shows coming to the Disney+ service, featuring Marvel Comics’ characters both young and old. Properties such as She-Hulk, Moon Knight, and Ms Marvel, are the second wave of series soon to come and they all are in the midst of meticulous pre-production work. The first of those to shoot will be the aforementioned Ms. Marvel, and we have an interesting lead on that show’s star character.

The casting of the leads of all the new shows is crucial, because they are all expected to be able to take the leap to the big-screen eventually. Secondly, this project will be a huge step forward for cultural representation, as it will feature not only a female superhero of color, but also Marvel’s – and Hollywood’s – first Muslim superhero. So, there surely has to be a lot of thought going into the casting process. Interestingly, one of our sources close to the project let us know that whoever is being cast has to be available to film between July 2020 and June 2021.

A new screenwriter was recently revealed for Captain Marvel 2 ,and THR reported that the film is aiming for a 2022 release date. If that is the case, the film would certainly have to be shooting within that window. You have to look no farther than the pages of Marvel Comics to find the connection between the two characters. Additionally, that is where Kamala Khan gets the inspiration for her own name, so it checks that narrative and canon box as well.