• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s MS. MARVEL Kamela Khan series (TBD)
2 2

197 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

I'm pleased this character exists and is going to D+, but why the Reed Richards stretchy powers?   :ohnoez: 

Her powers are subtly different from Reed Richards as she can shape shift and grow in mass, whereas Richards is mostly stretching. But then, Steve Rogers' powerset isn't much different than T'Challa's, either. What will be important is how different Kamala's personality will be in the context of the MCU, and I'm sure it will be quite different. I can see her being a kind of female Peter Parker in the MCU, though.

Laurel Marsden, who starred in Quibi’s Survive, will play Zoe Zimmer in Disney+’s upcoming Marvel series Ms. Marvel, Deadline has confirmed.

The series follows teenage hero Kamala Khan (Iman Vellani). Zimmer is something of frenemy to Ms. Marvel; a popular girl at Coles Academic High the superhero first saves in the Hudson River. Zimmer dates the school’s ‘it’ athlete Josh Richardson. The character made her debut in 2014’s Ms. Marvel No. 3 from scribe G. Willow Wilson and artist Adrian Alphona.

Bisha K. Ali is head writer on the series. Bad Boys for Life filmmakers Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah direct along with two-time Oscar doc short winner Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, and The Walking Dead director Meera Menon.

Ms. Marvel is set to drop later this year. Cameras are already rolling in Atlanta.

Last night, Disney+ went down for ten minutes as subscribers clamored to watch Marvel’s Wandavision, which isn’t a bad thing for the studio during the pandemic when they can’t release Marvel movies.

So there's rumor that Kamala won't have her stretching powers, but instead use her bracelets to a Green Lantern effect where she can make different constructs out of purple energy. I'm not sure if there's any validity to this rumor, but I thought it was interesting considering they haven't ever changed a characters powerset so drastically. I guess the idea is if they're also going to introduce FF soon her and Reed would be too similar and if they're trying to shy away from Inhumans after the show, taking that away from her would help.

Disney+ show Ms. Marvel has wrapped filming in Thailand. Kamala Khan is slated to make her MCU debut later this year as part of the streamer's 2021 slate that includes shows like Hawkeye and What If..? Ms. Marvel has been a fan-favorite character since her comics debut in 2013 and, seeing the potential, the studio announced a television series centered around the character at D23 in 2019. Kamala Khan will be played by Iman Vellani and she'll be joined by Aramis Knight, Saagar Shaikh, Rish Shah, Matt Lintz, Zenobia Shroff, and Mohan Kapur.

Set photos have given a glimpse at Ms. Marvel's costume, but other details surrounding the show have remained under wraps. Still, it's clear the MCU has big plans for the character - Vellani is slated to reprise her role in 2022's The Marvels, a sequel to Brie Larson's Captain Marvel. It remains to be seen if Larson will be popping up in Ms. Marvel, but her character has served as a massive influence on Kamala Khan so she will at least have somewhat of a presence in the series.

Marvel Studios and Disney+ just wrapped on their third series as Loki finished its season one run as their most popular Marvel show to date. With WandaVision and The Falcon and The Winter Soldier also doing well, fans are looking to the future and thinking about when we'll see some of the previously announced shows that are waiting in the wings. According to Marvel Studios Executive Vice President of Film Production, Victoria Alonso, we will see their next two offerings before the end of the year.

During a chat with "Variety", Alonso confirmed that both Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel would arrive on Disney+ before the end of 2021. Alonso didn't provide an exact date or time frame for their premieres but with the animated What If...? Marvel series debuting in August, that leaves us with about four months for the other two shows to make their arrival. 

Also kept under wraps is what show would be making its debut first. Hawkeye has already wrapped filming, which would make it the conventional choice to arrive first, but promotional material suggests that Ms. Marvel could be next on the list. Depending on the release pattern for What If...? and given it's an animated series, it could premiere with two episodes with one episode dropping per week after that. This would have the show ending its run around October 6, 2021. Promotional material hints at Ms. Marvel featuring a scene at Halloween so it's possible that the show debuts around that time as well. Ms. Marvel could have a six-week run that pushes it into November just as Eternals is launching its run in theaters. From there, we could get Hawkeye in December but this is merely my own speculation about how this could play out if Alonso is to be believed that these next two shows will actually premiere before the year is out.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:40 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm not familiar with Ms. Marvel, but some people appear to be unhappy with how her powers will be changed?

It's kind of a betrayal to comic fans. Obviously she's a relatively new character, but outside of Miles Morales she's basically the biggest hero to come out of Marvels modern comics. It would be tantamount to giving Miles suction cups and a grappling hook. (shrug)

Her powers are similar to Reed Richards, so they probably wanted to go in a different direction since Fantastic Four will be introduced within the MCU at the end of phase 4. I don't like all of the changes either, but unfortunately our opinions won't stop Marvel from making them.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:55 PM, AJLewandoski said:

It's kind of a betrayal to comic fans. Obviously she's a relatively new character, but outside of Miles Morales she's basically the biggest hero to come out of Marvels modern comics. It would be tantamount to giving Miles suction cups and a grappling hook. (shrug)

One thing that I've never liked about the MCU is how they nerfed Thor (and most non-Earth characters) after his first movie. Only now, in Phase 4, does it appear that we may get some comic book level cosmic power outside of the infinity stones.