• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

It's all hands on deck as Otto Octavius returns for 'Spider-Man 3.'

Alfred Molina is putting back on the metal arms and will reprise his role as the villainous Doctor Octopus, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Molina turned in a fan-favorite performance in Sam Raimi's 2004 sequel Spider-Man 2 as Otto Octavius, a brilliant scientist who becomes an eight-limbed villain who pushed Toby Maguire's Spider-Man to the limits. Molina's involvement in the upcoming Spider-Man movie was first was rumored late last month, when GWW reported the actor had been spotted on set.

Molina's involvement ties together three generations of Spider-Man movies. Jamie Foxx is returning as Electro after playing the role in 2014's The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which starred Andrew Garfield as the wallcrawler, while Molina's Doc Oc terrorized Maguire's version of Spidey. In October, Foxx suggested in a since-deleted Instagram post that three different Spider-Men could appear in the film.

Marvel and Sony had no comment.

Tom Holland stars in the film, which Sony has dated for Dec. 17, 2021 and has Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far From Home director Jon Watts back at the helm. Benedict Cumberbatch will appear in the film as Doctor Strange, while Spider-Man mainstays expected to return include Zendaya, Marisa Tomei, Jacob Batalon and Tony Revolori.

:whatthe:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

At this point they might as well announce the return of Toby and Andrew Garfield.  

EDIT: And that was not meant to be sarcastic.  I am sure at this point that is being held back for a future big reveal. 

Edited by Buzzetta

43 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

This is pretty awesome news. It's all but confirmed we have a live action Spider-Verse incoming, and if they add in Miles people will lose their minds. 

The first two Raimi movies (and parts of the 3rd) really capture the feel of their classic Spiderman villains incredibly well. Alfred Molina as Doc Ock is probably the strongest acting in the trilogy, Dafoe as Green Goblin is a great adversary too, and if 3 had been about just Thomas Hayden Church as Sandman and cut Goblin Jr. and Venom it probably would've been a masterpiece.

With Foxx confirmed to come back as Electro thats the best the Amazing movies had to offer (although I wouldve liked to actually see Paul Giamatti do the Rhino justice). 

All that said there's a ton of balls up in the air with this one, so I'm really hoping they can pull it off. Sonys track record with more than one villain in a movie is very poor, and if they're planning to merge everything like Morbius and Venom (which seems likely given Keatons Vulture is showing up in Morbius) we're in for a wild ride.

14 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

At this point they might as well announce the return of Toby and Andrew Garfield.  

EDIT: And that was not meant to be sarcastic.  I am sure at this point that is being held back for a future big reveal. 

I think it would be incredible if they pull off a live Spider-Verse. And all indications are they are quickly working toward this.

The original live-action Spider-Man, Tobey Maguire, is reportedly in talks to return for the MCU's Spider-Man 3, along with Kirsten Dunst. Maguire starred in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy from 2002 to 2007 as Peter Parker, the titular hero who one day acquires spiderlike powers after being bitten by a radioactive spider. Dunst portrayed Mary Jane Watson, his best friend and love interest. Maguire's performance was largely praised by fans, and though there were once plans for a Spider-Man 4, they never came to pass.

In the MCU, Tom Holland currently plays Peter Parker, and he's set to return for a third solo adventure in 2021. Plot details have been kept under wraps, but there have been rumors for some time that, as the MCU digs into the multiverse, past Spider-Man characters could appear. This was seemingly supported by the news that The Amazing Spider-Man 2's Electro (Jamie Foxx) will be in Spider-Man 3, and today, news broke that Alfred Molina will reportedly play Doctor Octopus once more. Evidently, they might not be the only ones to make a comeback.

Per Collider, Maguire reportedly will return for Spider-Man 3 provided Sony and Marvel can reach a deal with him. Talks with Maguire are presumably ongoing, and it remains to be seen when they might be completed. Meanwhile, the report indicates Dunst is already set to return as MJ in the film. This also comes along with the news that Andrew Garfield will reportedly return as well for the first time since The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

So how will this 'live' Spider-verse actually work?

Any clues welcome, as it just seems like flashbacks to me.

Saw Michael Keaton around as The Vulture elsewhere - he should come back as well.

Keaton and Tomei   :luhv:     have been excellent

8 hours ago, Beige said:

So how will this 'live' Spider-verse actually work?

Any clues welcome, as it just seems like flashbacks to me.

Saw Michael Keaton around as The Vulture elsewhere - he should come back as well.

Keaton and Tomei   :luhv:     have been excellent

With all due respect, I think it is highly unlikely this has anything to do with flashbacks. These will be characters from the multiverse. Different versions of Spider-Man and related characters. The big questions is are these the EXACT versions these actors all previously played... meaning a strict canonization of previous Sony films and a continuation of their stories? Or are they:

a) playing very similar versions of their previous incarnations. All the same actors but small but significant differences in their storylines (for example, Gwen is still alive in this Andrew Garfield version)

b) playing the exact version BUT it has been altered in some way, due to the “time heist” in Endgame, or perhaps by Loki after he was let loose into the multiverse during Endgame, or perhaps having to do with Wanda’s apparent break down 

c) or some other permutation that will be part of a slowly unfolding Kang storyline?

Just a few of the thoughts I’ve had.  But as I said... I highly doubt they’re getting the gang back together for flashbacks. 

58 minutes ago, fmaz said:

With all due respect, I think it is highly unlikely this has anything to do with flashbacks. These will be characters from the multiverse. Different versions of Spider-Man and related characters. The big questions is are these the EXACT versions these actors all previously played... meaning a strict canonization of previous Sony films and a continuation of their stories? Or are they:

a) playing very similar versions of their previous incarnations. All the same actors but small but significant differences in their storylines (for example, Gwen is still alive in this Andrew Garfield version)

b) playing the exact version BUT it has been altered in some way, due to the “time heist” in Endgame, or perhaps by Loki after he was let loose into the multiverse during Endgame, or perhaps having to do with Wanda’s apparent break down 

c) or some other permutation that will be part of a slowly unfolding Kang storyline?

Just a few of the thoughts I’ve had.  But as I said... I highly doubt they’re getting the gang back together for flashbacks. 

Thanks - not really up with the multi-verse concept with Spidey.

I'm also interested to see where it goes.

Bad Spidey anyone?

To see an otherwise fan-based concept become a reality bringing together actors from three different Spider-Man is a wild dream come true.

Now where do they insert Bruce Campbell into multiple roles? :banana:

4 hours ago, fmaz said:

Right. Especially since Doctor Strange is slated to guest star and this film is rumored to tie in with Multiverse of Madness and Sam Raimi is a creator in the MCU now.

I think the real genius behind this move is that it makes the prior two Spider-Man franchises commercially viable again. But I'm not sure if it benefits Sony or Disney more.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Right. Especially since Doctor Strange is slated to guest star and this film is rumored to tie in with Multiverse of Madness and Sam Raimi is a creator in the MCU now.

I think the real genius behind this move is that it makes the prior two Spider-Man franchises commercially viable again. But I'm not sure if it benefits Sony or Disney more.

Sony.

I am surprised that Disney wrote the exit for Sony.   Anything Sony does after this point will have a more firmly cemented attachment to the MCU whether the Disney logo is on screen or not.