• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

Mark Hughes has some ideas what that Kevin Feige comment may mean for the future.

Feige made an interesting remark during today’s announcement, and it’s hard to say whether it’s a throw-away line or a hint at something more substantive to come. When commenting on his pleasure at reaching a new deal with Sony, Feige said, “[A]s Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”

Does that imply Sony’s planned series of connected Spider-Man spinoffs will somehow wind up merged into the MCU, possibly by having the spinoff characters – notably, Venom – appear in the solo Spider-Man movies? Does it mean Marvel is offering (again) to coproduce the spinoff films as well, even if they’re kept separate from the main Spider-Man series? Is it just a friendly endorsement of Sony’s other unrelated spinoffs?

My guess is, part of making the new deal happen included Marvel’s (and Feige’s) involvement in Sony’s spin-offs, and some plan to allow the MCU version of Spider-Man to cross over into those spin-offs – or for spin-off characters to appear in the solo Spidey releases.

Another option, which would definitely count as a welcome “surprise” for many people, would be an idea I previously suggested back in June. Marvel could have convinced Sony that the ideal scenario is not to use the Peter Parker iteration of Spidey for the planned “spider-verse” of spinoffs, but instead to use Miles Morales, thus giving Sony not one but TWO Spider-Man solo franchises – one within the MCU, and one as part of a separate shared “spider-verse.”

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige is also happy to have Spider-Man back in the family. "I am thrilled that Spidey's journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it," Feige said in a statement. "Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold."

Amy Pascal, a producer of Sony’s Spider-Man film franchise, also felt good about the new deal. “This is terrific,” Pascal said in a statement Friday. “Peter Parker’s story took a dramatic turn in Far From Home and I could not be happier we will all be working together as we see where his journey goes. This has been a winning partnership for the studios, the franchise and the fans and I’m overjoyed it will continue.”

Edited by Bosco685

So depending on at what point in time you read the Deadline article that announced the news, either Sony blinked or Disney did.

Spider-Man Back In Action As Sony Agrees To Disney Co-Fi For New Movie, Return To MCU: How Spidey’s Web Got Untangled

Deadline_Spidey.thumb.PNG.d763b7b933d5b7d32ae74a10b2cd2ba3.PNG

Initially, he notes that Disney tried to get Sony to go for 50% profit sharing if it also offered 50% cost-offsetting on solo Spidey films. Which Sony supposesedly countered with 25% and Disney walked away. Now the Deadline updates 'Sony agreed to the terms Disney originally proposed...'

Well, that would have been 50% profit sharing. Not 25%.

If Marvel Studios plans on "writing him out" of the MCU, I'd like to see this:

• 3rd solo film to setup Avengers 5.
  • Avengers: Sinister Six.

I'd like to see him die in the Avengers at the hands of the Sinister Six, and the team Avenges his death. "...our best work after the fact? We're the Avengers - not the Pre-vengers..." It'd be a good reason to bring the boys and girls back together.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If Marvel Studios plans on "writing him out" of the MCU, I'd like to see this:

• 3rd solo film to setup Avengers 5.
  • Avengers: Sinister Six.

I'd like to see him die in the Avengers at the hands of the Sinister Six, and the team Avenges his death. "...our best work after the fact? We're the Avengers - not the Pre-vengers..." It'd be a good reason to bring the boys and girls back together.

If there’s any substance at all to this “writing him out” news rumor which I think there isn’t, it doesn’t mean the MCU will kill Peter Parker. What it could mean is that Feige and Co. will wrap up Peter’s high school trilogy and end the story such that if we never see Spidey in another MCU movie afterwards it’ll be fine while at the same time leaving the door open for a continuation of the Sony/Disney deal or if Disney gets Spidey back outright if Sony sells their movie division to Apple. 

Your story idea sounds cool, but historically the Avengers and the Sinister Six don’t mix mostly because Earth’s Mightiest Heroes would obliterate a team composed of Kraven, Vulture, Doc Ock, Mysterio, and whatever Spidey villain you want to throw in who Thor would crush with his hammer in a matter of seconds. Spider-Man’s rogues gallery simply isn’t powerful or cosmic enough to pose a real threat to the Avengers.

I think Captain Marvel’s next solo film will most likely play the biggest role in setting up the next Avengers level threat (and thus Avengers 5). I think there’s substance to the rumor that Korvac will debut in Carol Danvers’ next movie ( which I also think takes place in the past similar to Wonder Woman 1984) and will become the next threat along with perhaps other cosmic beings, say Annihilus or Galactus.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:46 PM, Bosco685 said:

So depending on at what point in time you read the Deadline article that announced the news, either Sony blinked or Disney did.

Spider-Man Back In Action As Sony Agrees To Disney Co-Fi For New Movie, Return To MCU: How Spidey’s Web Got Untangled

Deadline_Spidey.thumb.PNG.d763b7b933d5b7d32ae74a10b2cd2ba3.PNG

Initially, he notes that Disney tried to get Sony to go for 50% profit sharing if it also offered 50% cost-offsetting on solo Spidey films. Which Sony supposesedly countered with 25% and Disney walked away. Now the Deadline updates 'Sony agreed to the terms Disney originally proposed...'

Well, that would have been 50% profit sharing. Not 25%.

I think the biggest plus for this deal is that Sony gets to use Spider-Man in its Spidey villain movies like Venom 2 or the Sinister Six aka Venom 3. Morbius is probably being rewritten as we speak  to include Spider-Man.

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

If there’s any substance at all to this “writing him out” news rumor which I think there isn’t, it doesn’t mean the MCU will kill Peter Parker. What it could mean is that Feige and Co. will wrap up Peter’s high school trilogy and end the story such that if we never see Spidey in another MCU movie afterwards it’ll be fine while at the same time leaving the door open for a continuation of the Sony/Disney deal or if Disney gets Spidey back outright if Sony sells their movie division to Apple. 

Your story idea sounds cool, but historically the Avengers and the Sinister Six don’t mix mostly because Earth’s Mightiest Heroes would obliterate a team composed of Kraven, Vulture, Doc Ock, Mysterio, and whatever Spidey villain you want to throw in who Thor would crush with his hammer in a matter of seconds. Spider-Man’s rogues gallery simply isn’t powerful or cosmic enough to pose a real threat to the Avengers.

I think Captain Marvel’s next solo film will most likely play the biggest role in setting up the next Avengers level threat (and thus Avengers 5). I think there’s substance to the rumor that Korvac will debut in Carol Danvers’ next movie ( which I also think takes place in the past similar to Wonder Woman 1984) and will become the next threat along with perhaps other cosmic beings, say Annihilus or Galactus.

Makes no sense to "write him out" if they're not gonna kill him off.

Thor is off-planet. He could be dead by the end of Love and Thunder.

Captain Marvel blows. lol

10 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Makes no sense to "write him out" if they're not gonna kill him off.

Thor is off-planet. He could be dead by the end of Love and Thunder.

Captain Marvel blows. lol

The “write him out” thing is just a news rumor and Feige didn’t say that. Marvel Studios wants Spidey for the long haul. Thor isn’t going anywhere, either. Chris Hemsworth is only worthy as Thor, and I think the actor is starting to realize that. There will be a King Thor in our MCU future. 

And after the Phase Four experiment is over, Captain Marvel will rule Phase Five and Six, maybe Seven, even.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

The “write him out” thing is just a news rumor and Feige didn’t say that. Marvel Studios wants Spidey for the long haul. Thor isn’t going anywhere, either. Chris Hemsworth is only worthy as Thor, and I think the actor is starting to realize that. There will be a King Thor in our MCU future. 

And after the Phase Four experiment is over, Captain Marvel will rule Phase Five and Six, maybe Seven, even.

I know. The premise is predicated on ifs and my own personal creativity.

The point is that Thor is currently off-world and could be dead prior to Avengers 5. So there could be no axe-swinging god to assist the Avengers in fighting a penultimate version of the Sinister Six.

Captain Marvel, as-is, won't rule anything. She and Scarlet Witch should have a cat-fight and kill each other IMO. Would be nothing but good for the MCU.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I think the biggest plus for this deal is that Sony gets to use Spider-Man in its Spidey villain movies like Venom 2 or the Sinister Six aka Venom 3. Morbius is probably being rewritten as we speak  to include Spider-Man.

It really is a win if Sony can now have Peter Parker show up in these spin-off films.

I'd like to see that Spider-Verse concept come up, though.