• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The dream of ever seeing Spider-Man on Disney+ (outside of Avengers movies) is now officially dead. Which means I may never watch another Spider-Man movie on TV ever again because it's not worth the effort to find my Spider-Man 4Ks and then change the TV input to HDMI 4 etc.

I feel Spider-Man's time in the MCU is now coming to an end.

You should host a rally to storm Sony's headquarters and demand the rights be returned to Disney. I heard that's a method pitched previously by MCU Cosmic.

(:

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You should host a rally to storm Sony's headquarters and demand the rights be returned to Disney. I heard that's a method pitched previously by MCU Cosmic.

(:

The MCU doesn't need Spider-Man anyway. It'll be better off exploring new characters like Ms. Marvel and Young Avengers etc.

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The MCU doesn't need Spider-Man anyway. It'll be better off exploring new characters like Ms. Marvel and Young Avengers etc.

I wouldn't let any assumptions from this news disrupt appreciation with one of the most recognized Marvel brands worldwide.

If you thoroughly enjoy the Spider-Man Universe, then at least we will see animated and live productions with heroes, villains and anti-heroes. even with Into The Spider-Verse we received one of the best films of the modern run with multiple interpretations to appeal to a larger audience. That's the super appeal with Spider-Man.

And for someone all about diversity, are you forgetting...

22 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

If you thoroughly enjoy the Spider-Man Universe, then at least we will see animated and live productions with heroes, villains and anti-heroes. even with Into The Spider-Verse we received one of the best films of the modern run with multiple interpretations to appeal to a larger audience. That's the super appeal with Spider-Man.

At this point, I'm really just into seeing Spider-Man interact within the MCU. I have no real interest in seeing Spider-Man interact with the Venomverse, which I'm sure is Sony's endgame. But as I said, the MCU will be just fine weaving its own web without the original Web Spinner.

I'm not seeing a lot of stories about the Netflix streaming deal, but I think it's a way bigger deal than people think. With the importance of streaming now in this new era, this is essentially a deal killer for Disney and they will no longer make the Spidey movies or have him interact in the MCU (unless Disney works out a licensing deal to indeed let Spidey hang out with the Avengers on occasion).

If no future deal like that could be worked out, I see Disney basically giving up on Spider-Man for a while and playing the long long waiting game. When Disney permanently acquires the movie rights to their flagship character many years from now, I think Disney goes with Miles Morales as the new Spider-Man of the future and they retire Peter Parker.

If no Disney deal can be worked out (to let Spidey hang with the Avengers right now), I think Tom Holland will also hang it up as Spider-Man and we'll see a brand new more mature Peter Parker playing in the Venomverse.

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

The MCU gains traction by expanding. If they go the other route, in losing assets, that's not going to gain public favor.

It isn't the MCU's choice to lose Spider-Man. Sony apparently wants Spider-Man for itself again, at least that's my conclusion from the current events. On the other hand, the MCU is gaining more characters. Phase Four Disney+ shows are introducing the Young Avengers. Fantastic Four and Mutants are coming. Moon Knight and Blade are on the way. She-Hulk is coming. The MCU is expanding at light speed right now. It doesn't need Peter Parker anymore.

29 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It isn't the MCU's choice to lose Spider-Man. Sony apparently wants Spider-Man for itself again, at least that's my conclusion from the current events. On the other hand, the MCU is gaining more characters. Phase Four Disney+ shows are introducing the Young Avengers. Fantastic Four and Mutants are coming. Moon Knight and Blade are on the way. She-Hulk is coming. The MCU is expanding at light speed right now. It doesn't need Peter Parker anymore.

Your conclusion, as usual, is incorrect.

8 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Your conclusion, as usual, is incorrect.

The facts are that the Disney-Sony contract ends after Spiderman: No Way Home and that Sony just made an exclusive streaming deal with Netflix to include the Spiderman movies. You don't think Disney is going to make a new Spiderman deal with Sony if Disney has no chance of showing those movies on Disney+, do you? They won't. Spiderman is done in the MCU after No Way Home for the foreseeable future.

Storywise, there are already characters coming who can take the place of that wide-eyed superhero ingenue like Kamala Khan or Riri Williams.

Again, I think Spider-Man will one day find his way back to Disney and Marvel Studios (when Sony finally gives up making movies), but I think it will be as Miles Morales.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

...You don't think Disney is going to make a new Spiderman deal with Sony if Disney has no chance of showing those movies on Disney+, do you? They won't. Spiderman is done in the MCU after No Way Home for the foreseeable future...

Lmfao @ believing Disney+ is the crux of all MCU deals. You're incorrect.

17 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I think he’s right. The MCU doesn’t need Spider-Man. They just don’t need the second (arguably third) most popular and recognizable comic book character on the planet. Marvels undisputed flagship character. 

Spiderman sells on his own and Disney will continue to make billions off the character in merchandising alone.

But the MCU became a global juggernaut with only a little help from Spider-Man in two movies, Civil War and Infinity War. Every other MCU film or Disney+ show has been a hit without Spidey's help. The MCU doesn't need him. As long as Marvel Studios keeps putting out compelling fun stories and colorful characters, they'll do just fine.

I'm not saying Marvel Studios doesn't want Spiderman, but if Sony has other plans then there's nothing Disney can do except play the waiting game for Sony to give up making movies or fail at future Spiderman movies, which I don't think it will do looking at the success of Venom and Into the Spiderverse.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

10 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I thought that Black Widow was going to save the movie industry, though? You can't have it both ways. (tsk)

Disney has two venues for its content, movie theaters and Disney+ (the Bluray 4K disc market is dying). You can have it both ways and both are crucial to their content making money.

I'm gonna have to go with AoD here Disney isn't even close to done with Spider Man. The idea that Netflix streaming Spider Man movies will cause Disney and Feige to not want to pursue him still is a nonstarter.

1.) Disney still has the merchandising rights for Spider Man toys, so they're gonna want to guide that direction as best they can, bad movies sell fewer toys.

2.) They never had the Spider Man streaming rights to begin with. They've been on Starz, another rival company, for years and that hasn't slowed anything down up to this point. Streaming after theatrical runs isn't some huge money maker. Also it's a first look deal, so Netflix doesn't even have to pick up the movies if they don't want, they just have the right of first refusal for movies Sony intends to make EXCLUSIVELY FOR STREAMING, and they could still potentially end up anywhere. Sony is also working with Amazon (another huge streaming rival) for Spider Man related streaming series like Silk and whatever their Silver Sable/Black Cat plans shifted to, so clearly the deal only applies to their movie slate.

3.) With the major investment Disney just put into Disneyland to add a Marvel area with the clear and major focal point being a Tom Holland Spider Man starring ride and next level Spider Man animatronics they're not just going dump him and advertise Sonys Spider Man for free for years to come.

Combine all that with the fact that Spider Man is the biggest star of the Marvel comics universe, and I'd say it paints a pretty good picture of things to come. Of course Disney doesn't NEED Spider Man, but that doesn't mean they don't WANT Spider Man, come on man.

7 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Disney has two venues for its content, movie theaters and Disney+ (the Bluray 4K disc market is dying). You can have it both ways and both are crucial to their content making money.

You really tripling down on being wrong...?