• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Disney has two venues for its content, movie theaters and Disney+ (the Bluray 4K disc market is dying). You can have it both ways and both are crucial to their content making money.

Is that why Disney has been investing in 4K bluray conversions over the past few years after holding off for the longest time? Including the Infinity War Saga 4K collection.

THE INFINITY SAGA COLLECTOR'S EDITION With All 23 MCU Movies Announced for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (2019)

Infinity_Saga_image.jpg.8f26fbd8f03172b8a0f31d954b747150.jpg

I'm glad you're not part of the Disney accounting team. It would be horrible to hear of your termination. But good for my stock investments.

Newman_Accountant01.gif.6b71e49865e5a005850e7d9df942610e.gif

Edited by Bosco685

1 minute ago, Angel of Death said:

Yes, this guy:

• "Black Widow will save the movie industry."
  • "Unless Spider-Man is on Disney+, the MCU doesn't want him."
  • "The disc market is dying."

And I'd bet a CGC key on any of these obvious common sense forecasts coming true. The last one is happening as we speak.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Is that why Disney has been investing in 4K bluray conversions over the past few years after holding off for the longest time? Including the Infinity War Saga 4K collection.

Infinity_Saga_image.jpg.8f26fbd8f03172b8a0f31d954b747150.jpg

I'm glad you're not part of the Disney accounting team. It would be horrible to hear of your termination. But good for my stock investments.

Newman_Accountant01.gif.6b71e49865e5a005850e7d9df942610e.gif

The Boxed sets were big in the era before Disney+. Disney+ is now their preferred way of watching Disney at home. Expect to no longer see these giant Avengers box sets. It'll be a slow phase out, as in we'll probably see Black Widow or Shang Chi on Blu ray/4K disc. Forget about WandaVision or FWS getting that treatment, though. If you want to watch the MCU at home, you're going to eventually have to get Disney+.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The Boxed sets were big in the era before Disney+. Disney+ is now their preferred way of watching Disney at home. Expect to no longer see these giant Avengers box sets. It'll be a slow phase out, as in we'll probably see Black Widow or Shang Chi on Blu ray/4K disc. Forget about WandaVision or FWS getting that treatment, though. If you want to watch the MCU at home, you're going to eventually have to get Disney+.

Let's see if Disney passes on more revenue with the Home Theater Market. Because - you know - it isn't into this for the money after stalling Black Widow repeatedly for box office revenue results.

Hollywood_Accountant01.gif.bf4c264342f45eb4e6e4151483390431.gif

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I thought this was common knowledge. There are countless articles discussing the decline of physical home media over the past years.

https://fromvinyltoplastic.com/us-blu-ray-sales-decline-in-2020/

That doesn't appear to factor in the pandemic. Y'know, people dying and losing jobs, etc. That seems like a very important factor. Y'know, kinda how movie theaters struggled.

We didn't forget about all of that, did we...?

1 minute ago, Angel of Death said:

That doesn't appear to factor in the pandemic. Y'know, people dying and losing jobs, etc. That seems like a very important factor. Y'know, kinda how movie theaters struggled.

We didn't forget about all of that, did we...?

Yes, and with the pandemic, you have less people going out to Best Buy to thumb through the Blu Ray/4K shelves or go to a Red Box. It's safer to just stream the movie at home.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I used to think that, too. I have a huge Bluray/4K collection like everyone else. But yeah, I think now we will indeed see the death of physical media in our lifetime.

You could be right. It’s possible that mainstream releases may end in another 3 or 4 decades and go entirely digital. But there will always be that niche sector that prefers to truly own the film in a tangible way and so there may still be a market and thus manufacturers. Who knows. 

6 minutes ago, Oddball said:

You could be right. It’s possible that mainstream releases may end in another 3 or 4 decades and go entirely digital. But there will always be that niche sector that prefers to truly own the film in a tangible way and so there may still be a market and thus manufacturers. Who knows. 

I think it happens within a decade. The major media companies are all in on streaming content. Physical home media will just get in their way and be an unprofitable cost to continue. 

6 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I think it happens within a decade. The major media companies are all in on streaming content. Physical home media will just get in their way and be an unprofitable cost to continue. 

Let’s bet one of your keys to see who’s closer to the death of physical media. You have it at a decade. I’ll take a decade and a day.  Yeah, I watched The Price is Right. What do you know about that youngster!

7 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Some Disney executive received a call from a fanatic claiming to be a 'big investor' who tried to convince him the Home Theater Market disc sector was going away in the nest decade. So he pulled up just the Avengers to benchmark reality (Domestic-only sales).

MCU_Avengers_HT01.png.eb371a0d92df0af8c936a75984c0a840.png

Oddly enough, the wild laughing as he hung up was that extra-special touch. :smile:

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Some Disney executive received a call from a fanatic claiming to be a 'big investor' who tried to convince him the Home Theater Market disc sector was going away in the nest decade. So he pulled up just the Avengers to benchmark reality (Domestic-only sales).

MCU_Avengers_HT01.png.eb371a0d92df0af8c936a75984c0a840.png

Oddly enough, the wild laughing as he hung up was that extra-special touch. :smile:

Pfffffffffft. Who needs an extra $100 million every year!? No one! Especially not Disney or the MCU!

5 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Pfffffffffft. Who needs an extra $100 million every year!? No one! Especially not Disney or the MCU!

Incredible the amount of horsepower these films bring to bear where an additional $500M in Domestic Home Theater disc sales roll into an already massive revenue stream.

Streaming is the way of the future. But no way is it replacing all of disc sales in the next 10 years. Unless the industry really nails down Digital Sales to a much wider worldwide market like never before. Including lower income families that can't afford broader bandwidth or even paying all these monthly fees for Disney+, HBO Max, Paramount Plus, etc.