• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question for dealers who have looked at/ maybe purchased a lot of collections.

45 posts in this topic

I'm curious statistically what the comic collection owner's reaction is like when told there is really no value to the comics and you're not interested in purchasing them?  Again statistically what is the common reaction? Are they angry at you? Do they accept the situation as being real, the comics hold no value? Do they get defensive? Are you accused of "ripping them off" even tho you don't want to buy them? Do they think you are the problem and that the comics still retain the great value they think they have and you just don't know your stuff? Maybe they need to find a buyer that actually knows comics?

Thanks. I'm a people person and am always interested in human psychology. 

Edited by NoMan

They are angry.  They think you are trying to 'rip them off' even when you explain you do not want the comics, even for free.  They get huffy.  They squint their eyes at you.  They know comics are 'valuable' because they are always hearing about valuable comics.  My LCS guy just says "we dont buy collections try-"

58 minutes ago, kav said:

They are angry.  They think you are trying to 'rip them off' even when you explain you do not want the comics, even for free.  They get huffy.  They squint their eyes at you.  They know comics are 'valuable' because they are always hearing about valuable comics.  My LCS guy just says "we dont buy collections try-"

I have trouble wrapping my head around the "you're just trying to rip me off" when dealer states they don't want the comics, even for free. Even for a person a burger short of a Happy Meal that answer has to give them pause and maybe kinda put their own beliefs/core values into question.

Edited by NoMan

It depends on the person. If it's a person between the ages of 40 and 50 there's a way higher chance that they'll react negatively when I tell them I don't want their books, even for free. Most younger people and older people are way nicer. It's the 40-50 range that is full of angry people lol

Edited by rsouxlja7

1 hour ago, rsouxlja7 said:

It depends on the person. If it's a person between the ages of 40 and 50 there's a way higher chance that they'll react negatively when I tell them I don't want their books, even for free. Most younger people and older people are way nicer. It's the 40-50 range that is full of angry people lol

thanks. that's an interesting observation.

50 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I have trouble wrapping my head around the "you're just trying to rip me off" when dealer states they don't want the comics, even for free. Even for a person a burger short of a Happy Meal that answer has to give them pause and maybe kinda put their own beliefs/core values into question.

It's truly mind boggling.  I've watched it in real time.  BUT THIS IS CONAN NUMBER TWO!!!!  Yes number 2 of like the 10th version of the Conan book and anyway even the original Conan #2 is worth like 10 bucks have you heard of ebay?  More squinting.  Usually they finally leave stating "I'll just keep them then" as some sort of final gambit like they are calling your bluff and you are going to rush out of the store after them and start the real negotiations-

I try to tell them if the cover price is 10c it's probably worth something if it's 12c it might be worth something if it's 15c it most probably isnt worth anything, anything more than that the odds become astronomical that its worth anything.  Then they look at their books-1.75 cover price.  More squinting-

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I'd love to see a comic con made up entirely of people/collections like this. Can you imagine the wall books? Or better yet the Cosplay?

i have seen a couple LCS's without even a single SA comic much less GA.. and if they did have a few SA they were just common run fillers priced triple Overstreet

I have had anger, understanding, indifference,  and thinking what they have is gold.

dont bother trying to educate the seller you are wasting your own time.

Make your offer and if they accept great. otherwise move on.

I have turned down free books and I have even told sellers they would have to pay me to move them (said to the seller of the gd to vg archive digests)

Edited by Artboy99

Just now, Artboy99 said:

dont bother trying to educate the seller you are wasting your own time.

Make your offer and if they accept great. otherwise move on.

This x1000!

If I have not interest at all I ask what they are thinking, and no matter the reply tell them I will think it over and get back to them. That makes it easier to pass without hard feelings. If they message and ask what I think I just say decided to pass and thanks.

36 minutes ago, NoMan said:

thanks for all responses. doesn't look good.

Nothing to worry about there will be some other collection that will come along.

I have been asked if I am interested in buying a collection. The seller is a former seller who was selling from this collection for 30 years. I am being offered what is left.

The seller has created a PDF listing and in the list is the book - date - cover price and the price they were asking for it at previous shows.Of note is no grades are provided.

Since this collection has been hauled around to comic shows for literally 30 years it is very devoid of keys, and I guarantee you the remaining books are in low grade ( as it is my opinion high grade specimens would have been long since plucked )

I sent the seller an email asking what they want for it all and also asking if they are willing to sell anything single.

Have not heard back yet. The thing is, I already know I am not buying it since I already know we will be very far apart in valuation of the collection when the seller has this book and their price in the PDF list is $150.00. It is at best a $10 book that you will never sell.

JUNK BOOK.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

57 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i have seen a couple LCS's without even a single SA comic much less GA.. and if they did have a few SA they were just common run fillers priced triple Overstreet

I haven't seen a LCS with a Golden Age comic near me. They look at me with curiosity.

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

I'm curious statistically what the comic collection owner's reaction is like when told there is really no value to the comics and you're not interested in purchasing them?  Again statistically what is the common reaction? Are they angry at you? Do they accept the situation as being real, the comics hold no value? Do they get defensive? Are you accused of "ripping them off" even tho you don't want to buy them? Do they think you are the problem and that the comics still retain the great value they think they have and you just don't know your stuff? Maybe they need to find a buyer that actually knows comics?

Thanks. I'm a people person and am always interested in human psychology. 

I always deal with the situation the same way "you have got some really nice books but unfortunately I already have all of them and multiple copies of several so I won't be interested in purchasing them".  This has always worked for me except once.

6 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I always deal with the situation the same way "you have got some really nice books but unfortunately I already have all of them and multiple copies of several so I won't be interested in purchasing them".  This has always worked for me except once.

What happened the time that it didn't work? This has gotta be good.....

11 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Nothing to worry about there will be some other collection that will come along.

I have been asked if I am interested in buying a collection. The seller is a former seller who was selling from this collection for 30 years. I am being offered what is left.

The seller has created a PDF listing and in the list is the book - date - cover price and the price they were asking for it at previous shows.Of note is no grades are provided.

Since this collection has been hauled around to comic shows for literally 30 years it is very devoid of keys, and I guarantee you the remaining books are in low grade ( as it is my opinion high grade specimens would have been long since plucked )

I sent the seller an email asking what they want for it all and also asking if they are willing to sell anything single.

Have not heard back yet. The thing is, I already know I am not buying it since I already know we will be very far apart in valuation of the collection when the seller has this book and their price in the PDF list is $150.00. It is at best a $10 book that you will never sell.

JUNK BOOK.jpg

I see a maybe $1 book here.

15 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

What happened the time that it didn't work? This has gotta be good.....

The guy wouldn't take no for an answer.  He just kept pressing me to make him and offer.  I finally offer $20 for several hundred books and he said yes.  I still have those books.

Just now, batman_fan said:

The guy wouldn't take no for an answer.  He just kept pressing me to make him and offer.  I finally offer $20 for several hundred books and he said yes.  I still have those books.

Thank you, sir! -- I knew it was gonna be priceless, but that exceeded my (lofty) expectations! (thumbsu