• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you reconize this comic?

14 posts in this topic

This is a picture of a seven year old me with George Takei from a Star Trek convention in 1975. I have been trying to figure out what comic I'm holding for years. The two things that I can make out is that it is square bound and on the spine it looks like it says MONSTERS OF THE. That's all I got. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

me&g.jpg

8 minutes ago, Michaeld said:

This is a picture of a seven year old me with George Takei from a Star Trek convention in 1975. I have been trying to figure out what comic I'm holding for years. The two things that I can make out is that it is square bound and on the spine it looks like it says MONSTERS OF THE. That's all I got. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Monsters Of The Movies?  It's a Marvel magazine.

5 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

Monsters Of The Movies?  It's a Marvel magazine.

You must be right. I just checked the list of mags and I remember having one of them. Thanks.

Edited by Michaeld
correction

5 minutes ago, Michaeld said:

I thought that too but it doesn't look big enough to be a magazine.

Could be.  Here's a scan of the back cover to a Monsters of the Movies.  Looks the same as your picture; when I first saw the photo I thought the back cover ad looked more like a magazine than a comic. Weren't the Marvel magazine ads different from the comic book ads at the time?  I could be wrong.

MM.thumb.jpg.7e1f7d8b6aad46d48c30ad170894efed.jpg

Just now, Unca Ben said:

I figgered out what was bugging me regarding the difference in marvel comic and magazine ads at the time.  Color.

here's a scan of the back ad for a marvel comic, Hulk 189, with the same ad.

mm2.jpg.b1728e5d45a47cc069374b24e362758d.jpg

I think you're right. It has to be Monsters Of The Movies. The first issue came out in June of 1975 and that picture was taken in June of 1975 and I do remember having that first issue because I was a huge King Kong fan. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Michaeld said:

I think you're right. It has to be Monsters Of The Movies. The first issue came out in June of 1975 and that picture was taken in June of 1975 and I do remember having that first issue because I was a huge King Kong fan. Thanks.

Cool!  until further evidence comes along to overturn the conclusion, it's likely MotM #1.

great picture, by the way.  Must've been cool meeting "Sulu" at that age.  :smile:

I also figure that the angle you're holding the book, with the spine curving toward the camera, might make the width look smaller.  'Cause it does look like comic-size at first glance.  But that may be illusion.

3 hours ago, Michaeld said:

me&g.jpg

digging that mego your holding also :applause:

On 8/23/2019 at 5:51 PM, Michaeld said:

The cover date is June 1974, so you possibly had that issue for a year at that point.  That's a really cool photo and piece of personal memorabilia.  Thanks for sharing this.