• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jeweled or Metal Covers

13 posts in this topic

Does CGC grade comics with jewels glued on the cover or comics with a metal cover

Thanks in advance. Could not find the answers anywhere!

Edit: Found examples of CGC graded comics with metal covers. How about jewels?!

Edited by ninjarobert

1 hour ago, boatfund said:

Eclipso #1 for one.

Well I'll be!That's a first for me,thanks.

I'd pick that up out of a dollar bin.Must have missed it,that was the year I drifted from comics.

Edited by porcupine48
Out not oit

I have a Lady Death Las Vegas Convention edition that has a jewel on the cover.

Lady Death: Dark Millennium  1/C

Las Vegas Comic Expo Edition; Night Edition; Limited to 88 print run; Cover enhanced with Swarovski crystals by Francisca Pulida; Coffin Comics

Edited by aszumilo

They also don't grade the metal covers. Well most. They did grade the 2017 X-O #1 brushed metal cover. I sent in a different metal cover and they wouldn't grade it. I sent an email saying, you won't grade this metal but you will grade the X-O? All I was told is that was correct, no explanation.

Quick follow-up. In the process of putting together a CGC submission and wanted a definitive answer on the metal covers. Response from CGC:

We can grade any metal cover book as long as the metal is the same dimensions as he book itself and there is no overhang.  If the metal extends over the cover of the book, we cannot safely encapsulate it.  

Can't wait to get home to check!

On 9/10/2019 at 5:29 PM, ninjarobert said:

Quick follow-up. In the process of putting together a CGC submission and wanted a definitive answer on the metal covers. Response from CGC:

Can't wait to get home to check!

Yes I received a notice that CGC could not encapsulate Venom #18 Kirkham NYCC metal cover only 100 made .. the witness form was filled out and sent to CGC . They sent it back saying that they wouldn't be able to slab it.