• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manhunt #4 is it a Leonard Brandt Cole?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Manhunt #4...what a cool cover. 

Has this Eerie feeling of LB Cole DNA, but is not credited. 

Blacklight book by Fantagraphics says it could be a Cole cover and has it pictured but the mystery seems to still shroud. 

http://www.fantagraphics.com/blacklight/#/product/2347

Curious to know others thoughts...

B88B1EA3-987D-48E6-BF8D-176A22B7E945.jpeg.ad24f4502b4b0acb379d6d002b6f1c33.jpeg

1 minute ago, Jayman said:

I’m thinking if it is Cole, he just did the two figures in green. Then stat and pasted on the cover with the lines and letter by someone else. 2c

It definitely feels like a love-child of Cole.  If we were to follow the logic of your possibility; I would assume he would have most likely inspired the cover layout then. (shrug) 

3 minutes ago, rjpb said:

It could be. The inking on the stabbed guy looks like his style. I definitely doesn't look like Ogden Whitney. 

After looking on GCD, it has at least one cover credited to Ogden Whitney and Cole. This might be the same. I don’t think Cole was the mastermind behind this layout or color scheme though. I personally think he was more creative with both of those, ( color & layout)!

2 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Manhunt #4...what a cool cover. 

Has this Eerie feeling of LB Cole DNA, but is not credited. 

Blacklight book by Fantagraphics says it could be a Cole cover and has it pictured but the mystery seems to still shroud. 

http://www.fantagraphics.com/blacklight/#/product/2347

Curious to know others thoughts...

B88B1EA3-987D-48E6-BF8D-176A22B7E945.jpeg.ad24f4502b4b0acb379d6d002b6f1c33.jpeg

Reminds me a little of this.Now I want both.Thanks coder :pullhair:lol 

842937.jpg

To me this looks "LB Coleish" in the way that The Saint #4 looks "Bakerish". I can see that the inking style of the figure is somewhat similar to Cole's, but both the concept and the layout/execution look totally foreign to his sensibility. His figures are usually much bolder too. I can't think of any Cole covers from the 40s -- and there are lots to choose from, spanning many genres -- that look remotely like this.

21 minutes ago, Point Five said:

To me this looks "LB Coleish" in the way that The Saint #4 looks "Bakerish". I can see that the inking style of the figure is somewhat similar to Cole's, but both the concept and the layout/execution look totally foreign to his sensibility. His figures are usually much bolder too. I can't think of any Cole covers from the 40s -- and there are lots to choose from, spanning many genres -- that look remotely like this.

Yeah...what he said...

The characters in #4 look a bit stiff like Ayers cover drawing on Manhunt #13 to me at least...

although I’m not suggesting it’s a Ayers cover.

Edited by N e r V

31 minutes ago, N e r V said:

FYI, if Whitney did draw #4 it’s a bit odd that he did draw #1-3, 5, 6 and signed all of them but not #4.

Yeah, this part adds to the mystery a bit.  It would seem to fit that Whitney would have done it due to the surrounding issues specifically.  The Fact that LB Cole did work in these issues as well gives points to the Cole possibility.

Ultimately; what strikes me the most is that the cover has that "Movie Theater Poster" feel which many Cole covers had.

2 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Ultimately; what strikes me the most is that the cover has that "Movie Theater Poster" feel which many Cole covers had.

I know what you mean, but honestly I'd push back on that too. It might have a 'movie theater poster' look overall but to me it's got a distinctly different look than Cole's art. The composition is quite unusually sparse for one of his, and most of the stylistic touches (the negative geometric outlines, the yellow "shock lines", the small figures and the way the skeleton hand and envelope are drawn) feel like they are coming from a very different place than his covers.

6 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

This is fun! 😊

I really agree! I enjoy 'debates' like these.

Off-topic, but I've been to exhibits at NYC's Metropolitan Museum of Art where they'll show (for instance) some paintings done in Rembrandt's time and explain why attributions to Rembrandt might have been put forth or withdrawn over the years. To you or me the paintings might all look like they were done by the same hand, but to a scholar who has studied an artist like Rembrandt for years, his style is as distinctive as a fingerprint. I find this stuff quite interesting. (thumbsu

15 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

This is fun! 😊

I think you should claim it’s a Baker cover like everyone else does these days with everything and sell it for 1000 times Guide on eBay:baiting:

Just remember Bounty it’s not a lie if someone believes it...:devil: