• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dark horse aliens mini comics (kenner toys)

30 posts in this topic

I personally don’t consider them rare or in high demand.  Some sellers are asking for pretty high prices on individual issues. They’re a pretty niche collectible but super cool nonetheless.  Especially for an Aliens fan.  The most popular mini comic for Aliens came with the Aliens portfolio.  Nice find!!!  And at a good price also.  

I think they'd be more valuable if the Kenner toys themselves were valuable, but for the most part they're cheap and easy to find (the toys, that is), with a few exceptions. But a full set of the comics, all flat a nice, is  VERY cool thing to have!

On 8/24/2019 at 2:50 PM, Gabagool said:

Anyone familar with these ? i just recently got a set  and i remember them coming with the 90s Aliens toys from Kenner.  i had them all unfortunately i ended up trashing them or my mom threw them out as i got older. As of a few days ago i  found these recently for a good price and had to jump on them.  i think they're very cool

would anyone consider these rare or just rare to a fan of aliens and predators? i know they don't come up to often for sale nor in good shape too often either.

s-l1600.jpg

Babalament got the set of these graded across the street.

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/4964/page/2/from-cradle-to-slab-a-mini-comics-story/

@Gabagool @EmpyreDaveIs absolutely correct; I have the set of Kenner/DHC mini’s on slab from...well, let’s say “over yonder.”

These are a fun “What If” style story, assuming Aliens ended *very* differently & that the following Aliens films never happened. Instead they chronicle Ripley & her Marine team going out & continuing to kick Xenomorph butt-equivalent.

The physical comics are in the typical DHC Aliens art style, which I always liked. Unfortunately, as collectibles, these particular mini comics are expensive little goodies.

First, in their native state, they have been rolled & sealed in the Kenner Toys packaging for around twenty years. Also, not all of the toy packaging was created equal; the Ripley, Marines, and some of the Aliens had adequate space devoted to the rolled up comic. Others, most notably the Bull, Rhino, and Mantis Aliens, did *not*; the comics are placed in direct contact with the action figures, and usually bent/crushed on those issues. Long story short, they must be pressed to have any hope of laying flat. 

Second, there was a surcharge for additional heat seals on the inner sleeve due to the small size of the comics. It ended up costing $120 each to have them pressed & slabbed. I’ve given thought to sending them to CGC under the crossover promotion since the rest of my graded Aliens books are in CGC slabs, and my OCD is fierce.

The set you found looks like they've already been pressed, which is great if you're thinking about having them graded. Good luck & let us know how they turn out.

Selling them can be challenging. The last person I interacted with directly was at C2E2; had them bagged/boarded (they obviously hadn't been pressed) & was asking $50/each. The only retail guys I know of who move them once in a while are Mile High Comics or Lone Star Comics/MyComicShop. I took my graded set to a board member/owner last year to see if he would be interested in buying & he passed; said they would sit too long in his inventory.

A fun bit of Aliens collectible goodness. I’ve got all of the first run toys (none of the second or third series repaints), and plan on incorporating them into an Aliens theme in my office . Going to try to fit in not just the action figures, but some of the NECA accessory items (eggs & facehugger stasis cylinders), as well as the Alien Hive play set w/ movie accurate Queen Alien. 

Edited by BabaLament

On 8/24/2019 at 12:50 PM, Gabagool said:

Anyone familar with these ? i just recently got a set  and i remember them coming with the 90s Aliens toys from Kenner.  i had them all unfortunately i ended up trashing them or my mom threw them out as i got older. As of a few days ago i  found these recently for a good price and had to jump on them.  i think they're very cool

would anyone consider these rare or just rare to a fan of aliens and predators? i know they don't come up to often for sale nor in good shape too often either.

s-l1600.jpg

I have all these toys, still in their original packaging, although a lot of them are water damaged. Such is the perils of shopping on eBay 

Its never occurred to me to open them for the comics

1 hour ago, BabaLament said:

@Gabagool @EmpyreDaveIs absolutely correct; I have the set of Kenner/DHC mini’s on slab from...well, let’s say “over yonder.”

These are a fun “What If” style story, assuming Aliens ended *very* differently & that the following Aliens films never happened. Instead they chronicle Ripley & her Marine team going out & continuing to kick Xenomorph butt-equivalent.

The physical comics are in the typical DHC Aliens art style, which I always liked. Unfortunately, as collectibles, these particular mini comics are expensive little goodies.

First, in their native state, they have been rolled & sealed in the Kenner Toys packaging for around twenty years. Also, not all of the toy packaging was created equal; the Ripley, Marines, and some of the Aliens had adequate space devoted to the rolled up comic. Others, most notably the Bull, Rhino, and Mantis Aliens, did *not*; the comics are placed in direct contact with the action figures, and usually bent/crushed on those issues. Long story short, they must be pressed to have any hope of laying flat. 

Second, there was a surcharge for additional heat seals on the inner sleeve due to the small size of the comics. It ended up costing $120 each to have them pressed & slabbed. I’ve given thought to sending them to CGC under the crossover promotion since the rest of my graded Aliens books are in CGC slabs, and my OCD is fierce.

The set you found looks like they've already been pressed, which is great if you're thinking about having them graded. Good luck & let us know how they turn out.

Selling them can be challenging. The last person I interacted with directly was at C2E2; had them bagged/boarded (they obviously hadn't been pressed) & was asking $50/each. The only retail guys I know of who move them once in a while are Mile High Comics or Lone Star Comics/MyComicShop. I took my graded set to a board member/owner last year to see if he would be interested in buying & he passed; said they would sit too long in his inventory.

A fun bit of Aliens collectible goodness. I’ve got all of the first run toys (none of the second or third series repaints), and plan on incorporating them into an Aliens theme in my office . Going to try to fit in not just the action figures, but some of the NECA accessory items (eggs & facehugger stasis cylinders), as well as the Alien Hive play set w/ movie accurate Queen Alien. 

Thanks for sharing the info. There isn't alot of people that either know about these. I bought mine for a very good deal back when I originally made this post. I don't  believe I'll grade them but I will most definitely hold onto these. They're becoming more and more scarce nowadays and damn near impossible to find. If you have some of the neca toys, I'm sure you see they also come with reprints of these comics too. I'm bummed dark horse post the license for both aliens and predator. I'm a little worried how Marvel will do with both Franchises. Possibly G rate them compared to how dark horse used to do. We'll see I guess

@GabagoolMarvel is doing an Aliens series that starts next month; contact your LCS or subscribe direct (via Midtown Comics) to get started with issue 1. Equally bummed that DHC lost the Aliens & Predator licenses, I've been a longtime fan of their unique art style. Terminator, not so much; but apparently the IP rights on Terminator are a hot mess & Disney/Marvel have no plans to get anywhere near it. I'm looking forward to seeing what Marvel does with Aliens & Predator; I'm pulling for a Kraven The Hunter Vs. Predator mini-series at some point. 

I bought all of the Kenner Aliens stuff as it was coming out, but eventually sold it all off because I just don't care for it. I'm a huge fan of Alien and Aliens, but thought that the Kenner stuff cheapened the brand, much like Alien vs Predator. I dutifully bought all of the NECA stuff as well, but when they started releasing THEIR versions of the Kenner stuff, I'd had enough. Sold all of that as well, except for a few pieces (Queen, Powerloader, Ripley/Newt, and the 40th Anniversary Alien series.) I'm a lifelong Alien fan and collector, so I just put that money into getting the vintage stuff that I wanted, like a nice Kenner Alien, and the Alien Blaster playset. An Alien Target Blaster set finally showed up on eBay a couple of months ago, after years of nothing. But the original asking price was $4k, which I just couldn't do. (I think it later dropped closer to $3k.) At any rate, I don't regret selling the Kenner stuff or the NECA stuff, because if I want it again, none of it is terribly hard to find. The toughest pieces in the Kenner Aliens series are the UK released Hudson, Vasquez and O'Malley, but even they are pretty easily found on eBay on any given day.

I adored the Dark Horse Alien stuff. When I first started collecting CGC, my only goal was to get a slabbed set of the original miniseries, 1-6 in 9.8. Took me several years to do it, but I got it done a few years ago, and thankfully long before the prices went insane (I paid about $350 for my $1 in 9.8. That is apparently closer to a $2.5-3k book at the moment.) I was very sad to hear that DH lost the license and Marvel was taking it over. DH didn't have a PERFECT fun on the license (again, not a fan of the Predator crossovers) BUT they did always keep in mind that Alien is an adult, R-rated, mature sci-fi property, at least with their straight up Aliens titles (company crossovers tended to water it down.) I'm afraid Marvel is just going to do dumb things. I don't want Aliens vs Marvel. I don't want Aliens vs Venom, which we all know is going to be coming. I just hate everything about it. Also, I hate incentive variants, and sure enough, the new Alien series has I believe TWO 1:500 variants, a 1:200 variant, etc. What a pain in the butt if you're a completist. Ugh.

22 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I bought all of the Kenner Aliens stuff as it was coming out, but eventually sold it all off because I just don't care for it. I'm a huge fan of Alien and Aliens, but thought that the Kenner stuff cheapened the brand, much like Alien vs Predator. I dutifully bought all of the NECA stuff as well, but when they started releasing THEIR versions of the Kenner stuff, I'd had enough. Sold all of that as well, except for a few pieces (Queen, Powerloader, Ripley/Newt, and the 40th Anniversary Alien series.) I'm a lifelong Alien fan and collector, so I just put that money into getting the vintage stuff that I wanted, like a nice Kenner Alien, and the Alien Blaster playset. An Alien Target Blaster set finally showed up on eBay a couple of months ago, after years of nothing. But the original asking price was $4k, which I just couldn't do. (I think it later dropped closer to $3k.) At any rate, I don't regret selling the Kenner stuff or the NECA stuff, because if I want it again, none of it is terribly hard to find. The toughest pieces in the Kenner Aliens series are the UK released Hudson, Vasquez and O'Malley, but even they are pretty easily found on eBay on any given day.

I adored the Dark Horse Alien stuff. When I first started collecting CGC, my only goal was to get a slabbed set of the original miniseries, 1-6 in 9.8. Took me several years to do it, but I got it done a few years ago, and thankfully long before the prices went insane (I paid about $350 for my $1 in 9.8. That is apparently closer to a $2.5-3k book at the moment.) I was very sad to hear that DH lost the license and Marvel was taking it over. DH didn't have a PERFECT fun on the license (again, not a fan of the Predator crossovers) BUT they did always keep in mind that Alien is an adult, R-rated, mature sci-fi property, at least with their straight up Aliens titles (company crossovers tended to water it down.) I'm afraid Marvel is just going to do dumb things. I don't want Aliens vs Marvel. I don't want Aliens vs Venom, which we all know is going to be coming. I just hate everything about it. Also, I hate incentive variants, and sure enough, the new Alien series has I believe TWO 1:500 variants, a 1:200 variant, etc. What a pain in the butt if you're a completist. Ugh.

Having been enraptured with Dark Horse as a kid, seeing aliens on the shelf with marvel titles, the contrast was stark. Just looking at the covers you knew that was an adult book. They were cool.

I saw the first movie when I was around 8 years old and it left its mark. I was a alien and Predator fan all my life, and what has been done on the big screen to that franchise is simply horrifying. Even the original Alien 3 was a much easier pill to swallow than any Predator involved movie after Predator 2.

Hell even Alien resurrection was better.

Those dark horse stories were better than anything that came out of a movie theater, bar the first movies, Alien, Aliens, Predator, Predator 2.

Anything after that is just a money making scheme and it cheapens what was once a visual and story masterpiece. 

The biggest blow came from Ridley Scott himself with Prometheus and Covenant. Unbelievably tragic

With that all said, I have 2 Alien CGC 9.6s if someone wants lol

1 minute ago, IkewithMike said:

Having been enraptured with Dark Horse as a kid, seeing aliens on the shelf with marvel titles, the contrast was stark. Just looking at the covers you knew that was an adult book. They were cool.

I saw the first movie when I was around 8 years old and it left its mark. I was a alien and Predator fan all my life, and what has been done on the big screen to that franchise is simply horrifying. Even the original Alien 3 was a much easier pill to swallow than any Predator involved movie after Predator 2.

Hell even Alien resurrection was better.

Those dark horse stories were better than anything that came out of a movie theater, bar the first movies, Alien, Aliens, Predator, Predator 2.

Anything after that is just a money making scheme and it cheapens what was once a visual and story masterpiece. 

The biggest blow came from Ridley Scott himself with Prometheus and Covenant. Unbelievably tragic

With that all said, I have 2 Alien CGC 9.6s if someone wants lol

You know, as dumb as it is, there are still a lot of things I like about Prometheus. Despite its flaws, it felt like the film Ridley wanted to make. But Covenant, ugh. Terrible. Covenant felt like Ridley trying to give audiences what he THOUGHT they wanted, and instead, he delivered something that NO ONE wanted. Man, it's terrible.

Agree totally on all of this. Those first three Aliens series in particular told a much more interesting story than what we got with Alien 3 and Resurrection. And again, while those movies aren't great, there are things I like about them. The producer's cut of Alien 3 is pretty decent, and I admire the Fincher's relentless drive to make it such a dreary, sad, depressing movie ha Resurrection is light and dumb, but I like the sort of organic "squishiness" of the whole thing. 

6 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

You know, as dumb as it is, there are still a lot of things I like about Prometheus. Despite its flaws, it felt like the film Ridley wanted to make. But Covenant, ugh. Terrible. Covenant felt like Ridley trying to give audiences what he THOUGHT they wanted, and instead, he delivered something that NO ONE wanted. Man, it's terrible.

Agree totally on all of this. Those first three Aliens series in particular told a much more interesting story than what we got with Alien 3 and Resurrection. And again, while those movies aren't great, there are things I like about them. The producer's cut of Alien 3 is pretty decent, and I admire the Fincher's relentless drive to make it such a dreary, sad, depressing movie ha Resurrection is light and dumb, but I like the sort of organic "squishiness" of the whole thing. 

I saw Alien 3 in the theater on my birthday and I loved it. There were parts I didn't care for, like having a Bishop model 2 show up, Newt and Hicks being dead, but it worked.

As for Covenant, the only saving grace for me was Noomi Rapace. After seeing her in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I had a soft spot for her. She's sexy in a unsexy way I cant describe. And as you can guess, the only good thing about Covenant is Charlize Theron. She was smoking hot. The hottest I've ever seen her

Edited by IkewithMike

12 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

I saw Alien 3 in the theater on my birthday and I loved it. There were parts I didn't care for, like having a Bishop model 2 show up, Newt and Hicks being dead, but it worked.

As for Covenant, the only saving grace for me was Noomi Rapace. After seeing her in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I had a soft spot for her. She's sexy in a unsexy way I cant describe. And as you can guess, the only good thing about Covenant is Charlize Theron. She was smoking hot. The hottest I've ever seen her

I saw Alien 3 four times in the theater because I was finally old enough to SEE an Alien movie in the theaters, so I was going to make the most of it. I'd only seen Alien and Aliens on VHS (I was 9 when Aliens came out) so Alien 3 was my chance to enjoy the big screen Alien experience as much as I could. I remember reading the novelization, and it made a lot more sense than the theatrical release, but I still enjoyed the movie.

I think Prometheus is a really beautifully shot movie, which makes sense, because Ridley is one of the best shooters in the business. He does that gritty but beautiful thing so well. So I liked the look, I liked the design, and yeah, the Rapace and Charlize are both super babes, naturally. I liked the entire cast, really. I liked pretty much everything about it except the entire plot ha But from a design standpoint, I thought it was a gorgeous sci-fi picture.

13 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Have to add that my favorite offshoot story of Aliens is Hive.

I really think that could be made into a fantastic stand alone movie.

Genocide is a close second

Hive is also a personal fave, particularly for the Kelley Jones artwork, but I also loved the plot. The stuff about Cyberantics, the Royal Jelly, all of that stuff, approaching the universe from a scientific perspective. I really dug it. The original mini is still my favorite, just because it blew my mind as a kid. I thought Mark Nelson's artwork was amazing, and I loved all of the surreal world-building, from the grotesque machinations of Weyland Yutani, to the religious sect that worships the alien. So many great ideas, beautifully rendered. 

50 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I saw Alien 3 four times in the theater because I was finally old enough to SEE an Alien movie in the theaters, so I was going to make the most of it. I'd only seen Alien and Aliens on VHS (I was 9 when Aliens came out) so Alien 3 was my chance to enjoy the big screen Alien experience as much as I could. I remember reading the novelization, and it made a lot more sense than the theatrical release, but I still enjoyed the movie.

I think Prometheus is a really beautifully shot movie, which makes sense, because Ridley is one of the best shooters in the business. He does that gritty but beautiful thing so well. So I liked the look, I liked the design, and yeah, the Rapace and Charlize are both super babes, naturally. I liked the entire cast, really. I liked pretty much everything about it except the entire plot ha But from a design standpoint, I thought it was a gorgeous sci-fi picture.

lol My brother dragged me to see Prometheus, was that with tom cruise? I may be way off, but I remember watching a movie just to see a movie, and it was all futuristic and cool, and in the last five minutes you see an alien.

I remember walking out of that and I think telling my brother, "so, that was supposed to be an Alien movie?" and chuckling lol 

3 hours ago, BabaLament said:

@GabagoolMarvel is doing an Aliens series that starts next month; contact your LCS or subscribe direct (via Midtown Comics) to get started with issue 1. Equally bummed that DHC lost the Aliens & Predator licenses, I've been a longtime fan of their unique art style. Terminator, not so much; but apparently the IP rights on Terminator are a hot mess & Disney/Marvel have no plans to get anywhere near it. I'm looking forward to seeing what Marvel does with Aliens & Predator; I'm pulling for a Kraven The Hunter Vs. Predator mini-series at some point. 

And that's precisely what I'm afraid of. As I said in my prior post. I'm afraid Marvel will G rate aliens comics. G rate as no gore or adult content. More for the youngsters..... That fear is the same with when they start doing predator books as well.

16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol My brother dragged me to see Prometheus, was that with tom cruise? I may be way off, but I remember watching a movie just to see a movie, and it was all futuristic and cool, and in the last five minutes you see an alien.

I remember walking out of that and I think telling my brother, "so, that was supposed to be an Alien movie?" and chuckling lol 

Ha, well Tom Cruise is definitely not in Prometheus, so now I'm wondering what movie you DID see? ha 

16 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Ha, well Tom Cruise is definitely not in Prometheus, so now I'm wondering what movie you DID see? ha 

lol now that's comedy, it was maybe around 2013-2015 and Tom Cruise was in several that summer, something about living out time and premonition and the other was this futuristic sand place on a planet (maybe earth) and his house was immaculate no dirt sand dust what have you. He'd make a journey each day just to scout the area and had adventures or what not.

BUT evidently I have my wires crossed :roflmao: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM