• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.9 and 10
1 1

41 posts in this topic

You also run the risk of letting graders handle the book. I sent an absolutely perfect Simpson’s comic #1 I thought may be a 10.0, at least a 9.9, and it came back a 9.8 which I was confused. Then I looked at it closely in the case and saw a corner now had some white so it must have gotten lightly rubbed or knicked during the grading process. 👎.

2 minutes ago, Jasanity said:

You also run the risk of letting graders handle the book. I sent an absolutely perfect Simpson’s comic #1 I thought may be a 10.0, at least a 9.9, and it came back a 9.8 which I was confused. Then I looked at it closely in the case and saw a corner now had some white so it must have gotten lightly rubbed or knicked during the grading process. 👎.

That's exactly right. Just the act of shipping, sorting, handling and encapsulating comics can cause flaws...  :cry:

I've seen comics that were damaged from such things as: taking them out of the bag, putting them back into the bag, poking at the spine, dirty fingers, sweaty hands, using them as a fly-swatter (yep, that's right!), dropping the comic, forcing the comic into too small of a space, opening the cover and having it fall off...

6 hours ago, comicquant said:

New Mutants 98 has 17,354 graded copies on the census with only 13 9.9's and a single 10.  The chances of you getting either are so small its better to just accept you will likely never get one.  

And according to that census, someone sent in a horrible 1.5 to get graded...why????

I've gotten 9.9s and owned a couple of 10s. They look immaculate. That being said, the 9.9s do have small non-color break spine bumps that I've seen on 9.8s, they can still have OW/W pages and miswraps but usually not all 3. The difference is the 9.9s edges, corners, and centering/wraps tend to look better. 

Keep in mind these graders see thousands of the same copy and many of them are moderns. To grant a copy 9.9 or 10 status it must look flawlessly better than any of the other copies they've come across.  Or just catch them on a good day.

Has anyone tried slipping a c-note into the centerfold with a 10.0 written on it?:insane: