• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Need a little help from the community. I was wondering how bad will this white out flaw bring down the value of this book. Is it still worth getting graded? Is this considered a restoration? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone!!

20190712_154729.jpg

20190712_154745.jpg

20190822_221149.jpg

20190711_125540.jpg

20190712_154954.jpg

20190712_154758.jpg

1 hour ago, mysterymachine said:

I don't think it would be classified as restoration as it is not improving the book but just creating another problem for the book.

I would tend to think that putting white out on top of writing is absolutely an intent to improve the look of the book...just like adding color touch is an attempt to improve the look.

1 hour ago, Motor City Rob said:

I would tend to think that putting white out on top of writing is absolutely an intent to improve the look of the book...just like adding color touch is an attempt to improve the look.

It is an attempt to improve the book just like rubbing an eraser over a pencil mark and removing the pencil mark along with the ink on the cover. Would you call that restoration?. 

3 hours ago, mysterymachine said:

It is an attempt to improve the book just like rubbing an eraser over a pencil mark and removing the pencil mark along with the ink on the cover. Would you call that restoration?. 

Removing something from the book that was not an original part of the book, as in your example, I would not call restoration. Adding something to the book, like color touch, glue, new staples, tear seals, etc, I would absolutely call restoration...as does CGC. 

In this case, something is being added to the book to try and improve it. Sounds like restoration to me. 

My vote is restoration, but probably something a professional could easily remove. Good resto removal candidate...imo. Although that spine severely impacts grade and should be factored with your cost-benefit analysis (aka how much resto removal costs, and how much removal of said resto increases value of book).

Edited by Callaway29

49 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

My vote is restoration, but probably something a professional could easily remove. Good resto removal candidate...imo. Although that spine severely impacts grade and should be factored with your cost-benefit analysis (aka how much resto removal costs, and how much removal of said resto increases value of book).

Agreed!!!!👍

On 8/25/2019 at 3:18 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Removing something from the book that was not an original part of the book, as in your example, I would not call restoration. Adding something to the book, like color touch, glue, new staples, tear seals, etc, I would absolutely call restoration...as does CGC. 

In this case, something is being added to the book to try and improve it. Sounds like restoration to me. 

Well then I guess we can just take an eraser to it until both the White out and the date stamp is wiped clean. Thanks for the clarification..

yeah that sucks about the white out I would talk to CCS and have them look at if it can be removed and talk to CGC and see if they consider this restoration. but the condition of the book is not high so definitely might have to check the cost to potential on this one.

On 8/27/2019 at 6:59 PM, qualitycomix said:

And the definitive answer is yes, it is considered resto:

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/restoration/

Thanks for clarifying.  For those too lazy to click the link and read:

CGC defines restoration as treatments intended to return the comic book to a known or assumed state through the addition of non-original material. Examples of restoration include:

• Color touch. Using pigment to hide color flecks, color flakes, and larger areas of missing color. Examples of pigments may include paint (acrylic, oil, watercolor, etc.), pencil crayon, pastel, pen, marker, white-out :preach: , etc. Color touch is sometimes called inpainting.