• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic box storage tips
1 1

26 posts in this topic

One of the things I would recommend is that you don't stack the boxes too high. A friend of mine suffered a serious injury because he stacked boxes of his collectibles too high. When he went to pull off one of the top boxes, it slipped out of his hands and struck the side of his abdomen. He ended up having to go to the hospital to get it checked out...true story.  :(

I wouldn't stack them to high but also if you want to stack them higher you might want to get the plastic BCW boxes that are made of much more sturdy plastic I usually stack 3 boxes high had a long box with just 1 box stacked on top and it started to sink in and when moving the box it bends easily so I switched them to the plastic bins and love them.

Ya right now I got 3 longs and and about 8 shorts. Currently have 2 of the longs on bottom and series of the shorts on top. I was just noticing that on some of the shorts like the middle of the pack the lids have been indented on top. So why I was asking what' the best amount to stack on top of each other. As I mentioned I have them stack in room closet. 

I wish I had room for say a filing cabinet system. Or even a large book shelf. But I don't for the room I store my books in.

14 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

Ya like I said I wish I had room for drawer or money for that. But I dont. 

with cardboard boxes personally I would go anything over 2-3 high. and just check if every so often to see if the weight is starting to crush the boxes if so remove a box. so it doesn't crush your comics.

3 hours ago, Krishosein said:

with cardboard boxes personally I would go anything over 2-3 high. and just check if every so often to see if the weight is starting to crush the boxes if so remove a box. so it doesn't crush your comics.

If the boxes you are using can't support forty to fifty pounds, get ones that can.

The only reason to only stack two or three high is convenience in getting to the bottom box. If space is an issue, you can go higher. Before comic drawers, I'd stack three, lay down a layer of quarter inch wood on top and add another level or two.  I've seen places go six high, but I stop at five.

20 minutes ago, shadroch said:

If the boxes you are using can't support forty to fifty pounds, get ones that can.

The only reason to only stack two or three high is convenience in getting to the bottom box. If space is an issue, you can go higher. Before comic drawers, I'd stack three, lay down a layer of quarter inch wood on top and add another level or two.  I've seen places go six high, but I stop at five.

I am sure you can go higher and if you support it properly OP had some long boxes and short boxes I have 3 long boxes stacked on top of each other with no support and the bottom on after a few years was clearly in stress of the weight. Usually is cheap boxes obviously. 

The Op also didn't want to build any shelves or have the space etc.. so I just recommend not to stack to many and check it to make sure the bottom box is not stressed. and putting the plywood might help as it distributes the weight evenly.

I just use the standard white normal comic boxes be it shorts or longs. My long ones seem to be totally fine. Even with the shorts stacked on top of them. It' just a couple of the shorts I noticed the lids seem to be getting a little crushed in. Now the books inside are totally fine. Which is why I asked my original question. As I don' have much room to store my comics. Just said closet. Which is like 4 feet deep and like 7 feet across. Like I said wish I had comic drawers or even filing cabinet system. But I don' have money and space for that. So was wondering of any other ways to go. With just normal comic boxes. But if any one had links to file cabinets, drawers or even some other type of storage units I Def be interested to check things out.

Is building a shelf out of the question? I used some old 2x4's and plywood to make a shelf deep enough to hold long boxes, three rows of 5 boxes across with a top shelf for random hobby-related stuff. It still needs some work- the plywood is rough, so the bottom of the boxes are wearing. I'm thinking contact paper over the plywood. 

Before that, I was using two of the basic shelves from Lowes (pictured). I put one in front of the other so that a long box could slide into place, using both to support it's weight. They'll bend in the middle after some time, so I suggest a piece of plywood on each shelf so the weight is distributed evenly on the shelf. I had some older, wider shelves where I was running the long boxes long-ways two to a shelf, but to get to one box, I'd have to move the other box. 

Blue Hawk 56.5-in H x 36-in W x 18-in D 4-Tier Plastic Freestanding Shelving Unit

Check the internet for nearby auctions. Used filing cabinets can be found for ten dollars if you look. Ask nicely on Craig's List and often someone has a few they aren't using. Your closet is a nice size.Just avoid sprawl. Quality trumps quantity.

I wished I took a picture and asked a store person this. I was in a Michaels art supply store today. I noticed in there classroom room. There was this 4 or 5 unit heavy duty plastic store unit that had on a sliding track the drawers would pull out. And it was wider then comics. But definitely deep enough to store a good amount of comics. That would Def work for my space need lol. It was white plastic and the drawers where multi color drawers. I just forgot to ask store folks if that was something from Michaels or if they got it from another store and if so what store.

This is the bomb for shelving comics, IMHO.  I greatly dislike stacking boxes.  Every time I have to move a box to get to another box, I feel kinda stupid.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-90-in-W-x-90-in-H-x-24-in-D-5-Shelf-Welded-Steel-Garage-Storage-Shelving-Unit-with-Wire-Deck-in-Black-ERZ902490W-5/206813267

pro-tip:  buy a sheet of Masonite (thicker the better) and cut to width and length for each shelf as a liner.  Boxes slide out smoothly and easily.

Randell thanks for something to look at. Any one have a clue on item I mentioned I saw in a Michaels classroom room earlier in week.

That link item is cool. But like I mentioned I storing in my closet that is 4 feet deep and around 7 feet long.

Edited by Webhead2018

On 9/13/2019 at 3:53 PM, Webhead2018 said:

That link item is cool. But like I mentioned I storing in my closet that is 4 feet deep and around 7 feet long.

They make a smaller one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-77-in-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-4-Shelf-Welded-Steel-Garage-Storage-Shelving-Unit-with-Wire-Deck-in-Black-ERZ782478W-4/202251082

I’m not a fan of plastic or paper shelving.  Too weak and flimsy and can’t make rigid connections.  Alternatively, if you really need to store clothes also, I’d put a 4’-0” shelf on one side and rods for double hanging on the opposite side (one at 41” H. and the other at 82” H.).  But stick to steel racking.  You’ll be glad long term.