• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How bad is this defect? Update with Grade

11 posts in this topic

I was reading the CGC grading scale and for the grades 7.5 to 8.5 you are allowed 1 moderate defect. 7.0 and lower are described as having 1 major defect. My question..... is this little piece missing on the back cover moderate or major? There is also a small tear above it. Piece missing is 1/8 th of an inch. Your thoughts.

20190825_173019.jpg

Edited by Ride the Tiger
To alert members of update with grade.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:10 PM, The Lions Den said:

Provided the rest of the book is beautiful, a moderate flaw like this usually puts you in the VF range. Having the tear and the chip together brings it down a little more than if it were just one flaw...I'm guessing 7.5, maybe 8.0. 

agreed would be helpful to have more pics of the book to get a better average grade but I would put this in a moderate flaw piece missing and tear.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:10 PM, The Lions Den said:

Provided the rest of the book is beautiful, a moderate flaw like this usually puts you in the VF range. Having the tear and the chip together brings it down a little more than if it were just one flaw...I'm guessing 7.5, maybe 8.0. 

Dis.