• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swing away press vs angled press?

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, Recently started pressing comics and I have one of those "angles presses" not sure if thats what you would call it but I will post a pic. Anyway I have been thinking about buying a swing away one. Reason being is that I feel the press I have now might place more pressure on the box closer to the press. I feel that due yo the angle the press comes down on the book it might not distribute equal pressure. But if you have a swing away its not placed at the same angle as the other press and when you want to press down it just all goes down at once and I feel thats more equal distribution on the book. Let me know your thoughts and if you guys have any experience using both the types of presses. Thanks! 

IMG_5601.jpeg

IMG_5602.jpeg

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, Spider-Guy said:

Hey guys, Recently started pressing comics and I have one of those "angles presses" not sure if thats what you would call it but I will post a pic. Anyway I have been thinking about buying a swing away one. Reason being is that I feel the press I have now might place more pressure on the box closer to the press. I feel that due yo the angle the press comes down on the book it might not distribute equal pressure. But if you have a swing away its not placed at the same angle as the other press and when you want to press down it just all goes down at once and I feel thats more equal distribution on the book. Let me know your thoughts and if you guys have any experience using both the types of presses. Thanks! 

IMG_5601.jpeg

IMG_5602.jpeg

Schving!

Pressing on your own (or in general) will generate a lot of sideways glances. Mainly because people will assume that you don't really know what you're doing and odds are, regardless of type of press, you're going to mangle some comics. But...I have a used press that I've messed around with. It looks like the angle type you're describing but it canters over a few inches above the surface and presses straight down. I'd recommend that type for sure. I think there's value in playing around with low-value books, to at least get a sense of what's possible. But for high value books, I'd always recommend sending to someone with a LOT of experience, even a paper conservationist.