• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it okay if my slab is cracked? Did my comic get tampered with before sale (did I get scammed)? Should I re-slab?

9 posts in this topic

I just purchased the following, and I noticed the slab was cracked on the left and right sides (attached below). If I try to separate the slab, it looks like I can stretch it out ~3mm. I thought it was all going to be fine, since I looked up the serial number before purchasing (from Ebay images). But panicking after I noticed some cracks on the sides and thinking that it might be exposed to air and everything that may devalue the comic, I foolishly decided to try to seal up the cracks on the slab with some crazy glue. That didn't work, so now, I'm trying to scotch-tape the sides. Now, I have two main questions.

1. Do you guys think the seller I purchased this comic from tampered with the comic prior to selling to me? Did I just get scammed?

2. If not, should I submit for re-slabbing? Is it safe in this condition? Is there an inner-seal that will keep the comic safe, so long as I keep some scotch tape on the sides?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cd5.thumb.jpg.f58a972abf2f05abc73d1865d85f5f19.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cdb.thumb.jpg.7bc8634cceb09817c15ee531b5d7cb0f.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cd7.jpg.9cbb8473bafd72337c2fbb85715bdeb3.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cde.jpg.139d73c3f2414c7d2b59e3a836cd2118.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cd9.jpg.69e7a99d55de5d24d4c298a072a7afd4.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cda.jpg.8f4fe9daae87ac54c32111a1899930bf.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cdd.jpg.179f999e861a13be28ad1be4092dc532.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cdc.jpg.04102a49cbe8502800475fbd445a690b.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cd8.jpg.780961db2cf483b7e1ef060acda92061.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cd6.jpg.6f754074f2c056792d364e2bee859064.jpg

Thanks! Sorry, this is my first post and am new to this whole slabbing thing.

Edit:

So overnight, it seems like some of the crazy glue evaporated inside??? On the bright side, it looks like the protective film inside the case is still covering the comic. I'm really thinking I need to re-slab now. Can anybody please help out and tell me how I should proceed :(?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1ce0.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1ce1.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1cdf.jpg

Edit 2: Just submitted it for the reholder service. Anyone know what I should expect? Is turnaround usually pretty fast? Do you think I’ll lose the 9.4 grade because of the glue on the inner seal? I heard that it’s fine if there’s a chip to the case, but I’m not sure now because the inner seal has some white spots. That’d be really sad if it gets downgraded :(

Edited by SteveTComics

4 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Do you know if this was pressed previously ? As CGC already witnessed the signature you can send it to CCS who will charge $12 for a modern press  which should alleviate some of your panic ...

weve all been there ... relax bud 

-Adam

I don’t think it’s been pressed previously. I just bought it on Ebay, and I’m new to the whole grading business (been a long-standing comic guy though). This morning, I sent it in for reholder-ing (again, out of panic again), and I’m just hoping that nothing bad will happen from that, such as getting degraded and whatnot. Thanks for replying!

11 hours ago, SteveTComics said:

I just purchased the following, and I noticed the slab was cracked on the left and right sides (attached below). If I try to separate the slab, it looks like I can stretch it out ~3mm. I thought it was all going to be fine, since I looked up the serial number before purchasing (from Ebay images). But panicking after I noticed some cracks on the sides and thinking that it might be exposed to air and everything that may devalue the comic, I foolishly decided to try to seal up the cracks on the slab with some crazy glue. That didn't work, so now, I'm trying to scotch-tape the sides. Now, I have two main questions.

1. Do you guys think the seller I purchased this comic from tampered with the comic prior to selling to me? Did I just get scammed?

2. If not, should I submit for re-slabbing? Is it safe in this condition? Is there an inner-seal that will keep the comic safe, so long as I keep some scotch tape on the sides?

Thanks! Sorry, this is my first post and am new to this whole slabbing thing.

Edit:

So overnight, it seems like some of the crazy glue evaporated inside??? On the bright side, it looks like the protective film inside the case is still covering the comic. I'm really thinking I need to re-slab now. Can anybody please help out and tell me how I should proceed :(?

Edit 2: Just submitted it for the reholder service. Anyone know what I should expect? Is turnaround usually pretty fast? Do you think I’ll lose the 9.4 grade because of the glue on the inner seal? I heard that it’s fine if there’s a chip to the case, but I’m not sure now because the inner seal has some white spots. That’d be really sad if it gets downgraded :(

Welcome to the Boards!

Take a deep breath.  Everything there looks normal.  This is the slab design that was used for over a decade.  Not all of them have noticeable marks on the side like yours has, but many do.  It's just part of the manufacturing process and is no cause for alarm.  It's completely normal to have a slight gap between the front and back pieces of the slab.  The worst one I ever had sat open nearly 1/2" when resting...the front and back bowed in opposite directions.  The book was fine.  As for tampering, what you want to look for is the corner posts.  You won't be able to slide the book about of the hard plastic without breaking one of those.  If all 4 are still intact, you're set.  They are tamper-evident.  If one is broken, it should be very easy to tell.

The new slabs won't have this issue.  If you decide to reholder, turnaround tends to be pretty quick since it normally doesn't go through the grading process again.  It's been a while, but I've found that they turn reholders around within a week of receiving them (current times may vary).  No, the glue shouldn't affect anything.  The 9.4 isn't guaranteed, but the overwhelming majority of books sent in for reholders maintain the same grade.  I'd estimate 98%+ maintain grade.  They only alter the grade if they notice a glaring issue that causes the book to be a distinctly different grade from what's indicated on the label.  This is usually caused by severe damage suffered while the book is already in a holder.  Package the book carefully and you likely won't have an issue.

Moving forward, probably best to keep your superglue away from your books.  No good can come of it.

Good luck!  And stick around.  This place is a treasure trove of information on all things comics, art, and grading. 

30 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Welcome to the Boards!

Take a deep breath.  Everything there looks normal.  This is the slab design that was used for over a decade.  Not all of them have noticeable marks on the side like yours has, but many do.  It's just part of the manufacturing process and is no cause for alarm.  It's completely normal to have a slight gap between the front and back pieces of the slab.  The worst one I ever had sat open nearly 1/2" when resting...the front and back bowed in opposite directions.  The book was fine.  As for tampering, what you want to look for is the corner posts.  You won't be able to slide the book about of the hard plastic without breaking one of those.  If all 4 are still intact, you're set.  They are tamper-evident.  If one is broken, it should be very easy to tell.

The new slabs won't have this issue.  If you decide to reholder, turnaround tends to be pretty quick since it normally doesn't go through the grading process again.  It's been a while, but I've found that they turn reholders around within a week of receiving them (current times may vary).  No, the glue shouldn't affect anything.  The 9.4 isn't guaranteed, but the overwhelming majority of books sent in for reholders maintain the same grade.  I'd estimate 98%+ maintain grade.  They only alter the grade if they notice a glaring issue that causes the book to be a distinctly different grade from what's indicated on the label.  This is usually caused by severe damage suffered while the book is already in a holder.  Package the book carefully and you likely won't have an issue.

Moving forward, probably best to keep your superglue away from your books.  No good can come of it.

Good luck!  And stick around.  This place is a treasure trove of information on all things comics, art, and grading. 

Wow, this is such a thoughtful response and definitely calmed my fears! I’ll stick around for sure. To be honest, even though it’s unfortunate I had to start off on these chat boards with this post, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading up on old posts. For example, I’ve learned about what boards I should be using to bag/board my comics! Plus, I was just at my first comic-con recently and got some witnessed signatures. Was an awesome experience, and I surely hope to stick around.

And thank you for the warm welcome (to you especially and everyone else). Not only was it helpful, but I’m happy to see that beginners like me aren’t dismissed outright!

Edited by SteveTComics

22 hours ago, SteveTComics said:

Wow, this is such a thoughtful response and definitely calmed my fears! I’ll stick around for sure. To be honest, even though it’s unfortunate I had to start off on these chat boards with this post, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading up on old posts. For example, I’ve learned about what boards I should be using to bag/board my comics! Plus, I was just at my first comic-con recently and got some witnessed signatures. Was an awesome experience, and I surely hope to stick around.

And thank you for the warm welcome (to you especially and everyone else). Not only was it helpful, but I’m happy to see that beginners like me aren’t dismissed outright!

Also to note slabs aren't air tight comics need to breath as they off gas and giving those gases somewhere to go instead of into the paper is a good thing I believe CGC uses microcamber paper inside the book to help absorb the gases the comic gives off that can cause tanning or foxing. 

so I wouldn't try to seal the slab again if its ever broken just check for tampering as its evident in a broken post and just send in for a reslab. also any type of glue near a comic is a no no lol specially those devious people sealing tears.:makepoint:

Welcome to the boards 

:tink: